Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added Engine Guards to Breakout...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM
texaszman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added Engine Guards to Breakout...

Don't know if I will keep 'em.

They are Lindby Multibar model 1311 ($249 on Ebay) - very good quality - that have rubber foot rests in their design. They have *just* enough clearance for a size 9 boot and a couple of inches. Don't know if I care for the look.

You can't keep the horn bracket if you install these - horn bracket has a hole that is threaded internally. I am looking for another way to mount the horn.

I *do* like the ability to put my feet up (5' 11") or rest my feet against the bars with my heels on the pegs. Both are comfortable positions on the highway.

Anyway - pictures for your review if you are thinking of doing the same...

Attached Thumbnails Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-breakout-6-700001.jpg   Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-breakout-6-700002.jpg   Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-breakout-6-700003.jpg   Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-breakout-6-700004.jpg  

Last edited by texaszman; 06-07-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Harley_Charley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you like them but IMHO it takes away the aggressive look the bike has. I'm 5'11 too and haven't really felt the need for the extra space (whats your inseam, I'm 32")?

Congrats either way.......as long as you like it, it doesn't matter what we think. I've been installing all sorts of crap on my Breakout. So far, I've only installed two things that afterwards I felt was a waste.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 AM
texaszman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harley_Charley
Glad you like them but IMHO it takes away the aggressive look the bike has. I'm 5'11 too and haven't really felt the need for the extra space
Yep those are my thoughts too. We're same size. My general recommendation for Breakout owners would be to skip the cost and the engine guards. Since I already bit the bullet, I'll keep 'em on for an extended trial

Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by texaszman
Don't know if I will keep 'em.

You can't keep the horn bracket if you install these - horn bracket has a hole that is threaded internally. I am looking for another way to mount the horn.
It's pretty simple. Drill the threads out of the horn bracket, making the hole large enough that the engine guard mounting bolt will slide through. Then attach the bracket in the stock location using that bolt.

If you end up taking the engine guard off, you won't miss the threads on the horn bracket. It can still be attached with a nut and bolt.

I don't care for the appearance of the engine guard on my bike either, but it could easily save about $2000 of damage if the bike goes over. These bikes fall flat as a pancake, sometimes even denting the tank. That's not even considering what can happen to your leg if it winds up being a spacer between the bike and the ground.

I slid the bike a short ways down the road on top of my leg about a year ago, and now I can't wear shorts any more. Leg's too gross looking.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 AM
89Speedy
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[/quote]Added the Linbar, felt that the look was perfect for the bike. I'm only 5'6" but its a comfortable stretch for me.

Attached Thumbnails Added Engine Guards to Breakout...-img_0986.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Not really a fan but it's not my bike. Give it some time and you may get used to the look.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM
wiktor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put them on my 2011 Fatboy and have gotten used to the look. Even though I haven't dropped my bike yet, I know if I didn't have the guards on I'd have dropped it by now!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM
crawlgsx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texaszman

I've been thinking about putting on the performance oil cooler but wondering what to do with the horn. Let me know what you figure out.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 PM
texaszman
Advanced

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
I've been thinking about putting on the performance oil cooler but wondering what to do with the horn. Let me know what you figure out.
Figured out there is a $12.97 Harley horn relocation kit (a bracket and bolts) that you can use - no threads.

Also spent 3 hours on back Texas roads and highways and found I really liked having 2 new foot positions with the Lindby Multibar - feet on the rubber rests and also having my heel on the peg and toe resting against the bar. Gonna keep em - rode 45 minutes on the highway at 70 and ride was very nice with the feet up.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:30 PM
texaszman
Advanced

[/QUOTE=89Speedy;11387304]Added the Linbar, felt that the look was perfect for the bike. I'm only 5'6" but its a comfortable stretch for me.[/QUOTE]

That Lindbar does look nice with the CVO - looks like it was made for the bike.

Quick Reply: Added Engine Guards to Breakout...