Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? About Swapping Out A Softail Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ? About Swapping Out A Softail Speedometer

Hey Gang,

I was interested in swapping out the speedometer on my 2008 Crossbones for another style of H-D speedometer. Maybe something with a white, nostalgic face. For those of you who have swapped out your speedometers for something NEW (with 0 miles) what did you need to do in order to get the current mileage to register on the new odometer? Or is that info stored somewhere else on the bike and it just gets fed to the new unit?

Thanks,

Skeez

Old 07-08-2013, 05:36 PM
blu92in99
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong here, but I believe that the new speedometer would need to have the mileage programmed into it before installation (or it starts over at zero, being a new part); it isn't contained elsewhere on the bike, like in the ECU. I'm speaking strictly on the HD units though, the aftermarket ones like the Dakota Digital stuff, Autometer, etc. might have different methods.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can switch the colors in your gauge I am now also offering custom Faceplates designed by GraveStarr Customs.
I am doing a RK gauge here in about a week, here is the plate in a couple different colors that is in its final stage of design.
110.00 for LED Mods and a new Faceplate includes return shipping.

Attached Thumbnails ? About Swapping Out A Softail Speedometer-b-wskull.jpg   ? About Swapping Out A Softail Speedometer-b-wskull-6.jpg  

Last edited by BadBagger08; 07-08-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:26 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i did a swap on my 07 FB and it was breeze. the HD speedos come with a cable that you download the info in from the ecm/current speedo. HD speedos for the current models are a piece of cake.

i believe on the HD site there are usually PDF instructions for the part..

The following users liked this post:
0488FB (08-26-2021)
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM
johngp7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

newer HD speedometers have the mileage stored in the ecm

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FroggyFatBoy
i did a swap on my 07 FB and it was breeze. the HD speedos come with a cable that you download the info in from the ecm/current speedo. HD speedos for the current models are a piece of cake.

i believe on the HD site there are usually PDF instructions for the part..
I did read on the HD site that the new speedos are an easy install. However, thanks to the seriously un-intuitive new design of the HD site, I couldn't find any PDF instructions. Also, I am not planning on buying one of those garish speedo/tach combos with fancy finishes that they are selling on the P&A site. I am looking to replace mine with the brand new stock version off another model Softail that has the look I want. The one I am looking at states that it comes stock on the Softail Deluxe.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did find out is the connections changed and the way the speedo reads changed somewhere in the late 2000s. I was checking on a speedometer for my 2005 and was told the connections, etc were different. the same thing maybe true for you. (but opposite)

if you change your mind about new

67566-05A
NOSTALGIC FACE SPEEDOMETER
Email Product Info
Price: $159.96
Msrp: $199.95
SPEEDO: The single numbers and pearl white sweep are the modern interpretation of a classic era speedometer face. This retro style gauge features subtle backlighting for easy night viewing, and an easy-to-read LCD odometer/tripometer. Original Equipment on the Softail® Deluxe, this speedometer mounts in the stock dash opening, and is a direct plug-in replacement. Mileage reinstatement is available through your Dealer.

Fits: MPH Fits 04-06 FXDWG and Softail®, 06 FXD35, 07 FXDC, and 04-06 non-cruise control equipped Road King® models.

I bought this speedo. I had it on my Deluxe (stock). I thought it was the most retro. It is not.
I think the one on the new Heritages is most like an old stock speedo.
The new speedo on the heritage looks most like the 1947 to me.

Last edited by hbarleatherneck; 07-09-2013 at 10:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ingramite (08-25-2021)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbarleatherneck
What I did find out is the connections changed and the way the speedo reads changed somewhere in the late 2000s. I was checking on a speedometer for my 2005 and was told the connections, etc were different. the same thing maybe true for you. (but opposite)

if you change your mind about new

67566-05A
NOSTALGIC FACE SPEEDOMETER
Email Product Info
Price: $159.96
Msrp: $199.95
SPEEDO: The single numbers and pearl white sweep are the modern interpretation of a classic era speedometer face. This retro style gauge features subtle backlighting for easy night viewing, and an easy-to-read LCD odometer/tripometer. Original Equipment on the Softail® Deluxe, this speedometer mounts in the stock dash opening, and is a direct plug-in replacement. Mileage reinstatement is available through your Dealer.

Fits: MPH Fits 04-06 FXDWG and Softail®, 06 FXD35, 07 FXDC, and 04-06 non-cruise control equipped Road King® models.

I bought this speedo. I had it on my Deluxe (stock). I thought it was the most retro. It is not.
I think the one on the new Heritages is most like an old stock speedo.
The new speedo on the heritage looks most like the 1947 to me.

I'm a little confused by your post.

I am looking at a new speedo from a 2008 Deluxe to swap onto my 2008 Crossbones. I have to imagine that being from the same model year that they should interchange rather easily. I just wanted to be sure of the mileage transferring. I guess if the accessory speedos are plug and play and register the correct mileage I am guessing stock speedos will do the same.

The Deluxe speedo may not be the most retro but it looks more the part than my stock Crossbones speedo and I like the style if it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 AM
johngp7
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure on the softtails before 2011, but on models 2011 and up the speedo marries to the bike at 31 miles and records the vin number if you put a speedo from another bike you will get a vin number error and it will probably not work

Old 07-10-2013, 08:23 AM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I'm a little confused by your post.

I am looking at a new speedo from a 2008 Deluxe to swap onto my 2008 Crossbones. I have to imagine that being from the same model year that they should interchange rather easily. I just wanted to be sure of the mileage transferring. I guess if the accessory speedos are plug and play and register the correct mileage I am guessing stock speedos will do the same.

The Deluxe speedo may not be the most retro but it looks more the part than my stock Crossbones speedo and I like the style if it.
From what I've read, you cannot move a used speedo onto your bike and use the transfer cable to move your current mileage to it, but can of course be done with a virgin new speedo.
Once you have done a set mileage (IIRC around 31mi) with the new speedo, it also locks in the mileage and cannot be changed thereafter.

So you could do what you're after is you started out with a new Deluxe speedo.

Quick Reply: ? About Swapping Out A Softail Speedometer