Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy wobble report

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fat Boy wobble report

OK so I took my 2012 FB that now has 800 miles on the clock to the dealer to see what they can do for the front end wobble on deceleration between 45 to 40 mph.
The handlebars would wobble with very light pressure with my hands or with my hands off the handlebars during deceleration.

The dealer made a head bearing adjustment and the wobble is about 75% better but still there. Tonight while riding I noticed that when I was cruising at a constant speed between 40 to 50 mph I can feel a SLIGHT wobble or kind of like the feel of an out of round wheel through the handlebars. I know the front wheel isn't out of round but I am just using that description to describe what it kind of feels like through the handlebars.

I know what I am feeling is related to the wobble issue, but I was wondering what else the dealer can look at to try to smooth things out a bit more.
Or is this just something i need to learn to live with as i know this sort of issue seems to be common with several Fat Boys here on this forum.

BTW I am running the tire pressure at the manual recommendations of 36 psi front and 42 psi rear.
Any feedback would be appreciated as I am thinking about making another appointment with the dealer soon.
Thanks

Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 AM
Motown Strag
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon195
OK so I took my 2012 FB that now has 800 miles on the clock to the dealer to see what they can do for the front end wobble on deceleration between 45 to 40 mph.
The handlebars would wobble with very light pressure with my hands or with my hands off the handlebars during deceleration.

The dealer made a head bearing adjustment and the wobble is about 75% better but still there. Tonight while riding I noticed that when I was cruising at a constant speed between 40 to 50 mph I can feel a SLIGHT wobble or kind of like the feel of an out of round wheel through the handlebars. I know the front wheel isn't out of round but I am just using that description to describe what it kind of feels like through the handlebars.

I know what I am feeling is related to the wobble issue, but I was wondering what else the dealer can look at to try to smooth things out a bit more.
Or is this just something i need to learn to live with as i know this sort of issue seems to be common with several Fat Boys here on this forum.

BTW I am running the tire pressure at the manual recommendations of 36 psi front and 42 psi rear.
Any feedback would be appreciated as I am thinking about making another appointment with the dealer soon.
Thanks
Have them put the front wheel on a stand and check for rotor warp with an indicator.

Ask them to rebalance the wheel, a sticky weight could have fallen off.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,193 Likes on 938 Posts

I had the same issue on my 05 sat boy..it was a steering head adjustment. I would make sure they did it correctly

Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue on 06. New tire, greased neck, neck tightened and higher air pressure fixed it. Filling the neck w grease was easy and did the biggest improvement. It took me about two years to get it smooth. I think the biggest issues for mine was cupped tire and the neck had what seemed like no grease in it. Good luck

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If the wobble is now at a constant speed and not during deceleration it is probably a wheel / tire or tire balance problem. Check the balance, the wheel for true, wheel bearings and tire for cupping ect.

Usually the "fall away" (steering head) is as you first described under deceleration in the 30-50 mph range not at constant speeds

Old 07-30-2013, 05:32 PM
gharley06
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i had the same issue, my dealer installed a new front tire and the problem went away. They checked all the other "suspect" possibilities first (stem, balance front and rear, rear alignment, spokes, etc)...

Old 07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Well today I went back to the dealer and asked them to check out the wobble.
I asked the gal service writer if I could speak to the mechanic before he rode my bike to explain in detail the wobbling issue. She said sure and I will come and get you before he rides your bike so you can talk to him.
Anyway about 10 mins later I see the mechanic riding my bike out the drive. I go back and ask the gal why she didn't come and get me, and she said she was busy. So I figure OK I will talk to the mechanic when he gets back. About half hour later the gal comes to me a said your bike is done and that will be $51.00 I said what did the mechanic find and she said that the mechanic didn't find anything wrong with the bike as he checked the fall out of the head bearing. and even though it is under warranty they have to charge me for the mechanics time. I told her that she never came and got me before the mechanic rode the bike and if I explained in detail to the mechanic what the problem with the bike is maybe then he would have felt the problem. She THEN informed me that the mechanics don't talk to the customers and I owed her $51.00.
So I paid the bill. It's not the money that upset me is was the fact that the gal didn't follow through with what we agreed upon and I had to pay $51.00 for a bike that still wobbles. I know how and why Harley dealerships get away with this kind of service, and like I said I wouldn't mind paying for a repair that isn't covered under warranty, but I would sure like to make sure the mechanic fixes the issue, so I get what I payed for.
Also to be honest I knew going in that this dealer charged this way, but if the gal would have told me before they took my bike back that the mechanic wouldn't discuss with me about the problem I was having before he rode the bike, I would have just left right there and then and taken the bike somewhere else.
Rant Over.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 PM
lortsie
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

"She said sure and I will come and get you before he rides your bike so you can talk to him."

So, what gives?

Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 PM
Falcon195
Road Master

Originally Posted by lortsie
"She said sure and I will come and get you before he rides your bike so you can talk to him."

So, what gives?
Good question, and when I made my concerns and dissatisfaction known the mgr. jumped in and got down right indignant and told me to pay my bill and leave. But really all I wanted was what the gal promised me.
So now I spent $51.00 still have the wobble and no explanation of what the issue is.
I will just chalk this up to experience and learn my lesson. I will only go to a dealer from now on, only as a last resort.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If the other fixes don't work, try checking for hd service bulletins...they adjusted mine multiple times and it still was not right...someone on this site pointed me in the right direction...the washer on the top of the rocker front end was too thin and was corrected at your cost and you had to find out yourself...two hd dealers did not know or did not check...or was it did not care...

Quick Reply: Fat Boy wobble report