Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about them apes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Question about them apes

So I'm having some shoulder trouble at the ripe old age of 31. My stock bars on my deuce have me leaning forward and reaching down, even when rolled back as far as they can go. I sat on several bikes with apes at the dealer yesterday and the position was feeling much better for me. I'm looking for a set if 12-14" apes and here's the big question: how much?

The dealer told me it would take about 8 hours of labor and cost about $1,700 to put apes on with new cables, internal wiring, and turn signals relocated. Well, that's about what it cost for new cams, cylinders, and pistons put on my bike. If this is something I'm doing myself, what kind of cash am I looking at? I've done everything on my bike myself except for tearing the engine apart because of the lack or tools. I've changed the fuel injectors, did the work to shoehorn a 17x6 wheel in there and other stuff on my own, so it's not a question of whether or not in capable of it.

So I guess step 1, where do I start looking for parts and what kind of prices am I looking at overall? I'm not opposed to buying used for certain things as well.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:30 AM
Papa Joe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine myself, for around $700 for apes, cables, and electrical extensions. Bars from hardtailchoppers.com, they will make anything you want for around $300. Cable kit from lachoppers.com, includes everything you need and you can search by model and handlebar type/heighth. Electrical extensions from NAMZ, plug and play so no need to splice any wires. Took me about 6 hours to do the job. Check youtube videos for hints/directions. Good luck

Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

You can get a complete pre-wired kit from HCC for under $6-bills and the rest is your time. Still saves a ton of cash and then you get to brag to all your friends on the upgrade.

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.c...ired-C403.aspx

Old 11-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah dude. Don't pay the stealer to do it. You can do what I dude. Get the bars already internally wired already. All you might need to do is have the stealer put the connectors on the end of the cables and do the wiring at hand controls (1 hour labor, 2 at the most). Or you can just get the wire extension kits like the others mentioned.

Then take old bars off yourself and replace with new ones. Bleeding the brakes is easy, routing the throttle and idle cables is a breeze.

Good luck. Don't forget the pics!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Ragnar
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking at a bar swap on my Slim - 16 inch bars - $300. Cables - $300. Extensions, $50-100. Grips - $100. Mirrors, $150. Bushings - $50. Turn signals for relocation - $200. All prices are estimated based on my no-coffee recollection.

I figured it'd be around $1k - $1200... which is why it isn't done yet.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

I need new risers. Anyone know where to look for Deuce risers? IIRC, they're different from the standard HD risers.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,527 Likes on 5,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Alain
Yeah dude. Don't pay the stealer to do it. You can do what I dude. Get the bars already internally wired already. All you might need to do is have the stealer put the connectors on the end of the cables and do the wiring at hand controls (1 hour labor, 2 at the most). Or you can just get the wire extension kits like the others mentioned.

Then take old bars off yourself and replace with new ones. Bleeding the brakes is easy, routing the throttle and idle cables is a breeze.

Good luck. Don't forget the pics!
You don't have a clutch???

Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,527 Likes on 5,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
So I'm having some shoulder trouble at the ripe old age of 31. My stock bars on my deuce have me leaning forward and reaching down, even when rolled back as far as they can go. I sat on several bikes with apes at the dealer yesterday and the position was feeling much better for me. I'm looking for a set if 12-14" apes and here's the big question: how much?

The dealer told me it would take about 8 hours of labor and cost about $1,700 to put apes on with new cables, internal wiring, and turn signals relocated. Well, that's about what it cost for new cams, cylinders, and pistons put on my bike. If this is something I'm doing myself, what kind of cash am I looking at? I've done everything on my bike myself except for tearing the engine apart because of the lack or tools. I've changed the fuel injectors, did the work to shoehorn a 17x6 wheel in there and other stuff on my own, so it's not a question of whether or not in capable of it.

So I guess step 1, where do I start looking for parts and what kind of prices am I looking at overall? I'm not opposed to buying used for certain things as well.
You can do this as well, and you'll love your Apes.

As far as where to look for parts, J&P Cycles, a sponsor here i believe would be a good place to start. You mentioned lack of tools. You will need snap ring pliers when you get into the clutch cable side of your tranny. Probably be a good idea to get a new gasket for the clutch release cover, although i reused my old one without any issues. I still bought a new one just in case.

Show us your Apes when you get em on!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

I think I'm going with 14" high by 1" narrow burly bars if I can get them through HCC. They have the thicker non narrow bars, but I don't think they look that good on the Deuce with an already narrow front end.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:09 AM
brian lawrence
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 1 1/2 risers on mine and it was made by joker machine with 16 inch apes on my deuce did it my self my apes where made by rsd I will see if I can post a pic on here

Quick Reply: Question about them apes