Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:27 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Hey guys- so I'm having some install fun today with putting in the HD Security BCM module (replacement for the non-security BCM), and the Sportster 68T rear pulley sprocket.

The BCM is not "self installable" like the older TSM/TSSM modules. When I try to fire up the bike, it start but immediately dies. the DTC code it "P1009 password not correct". This means, the ECM and the BCM are not "married" to each other and cannot exchange code passwords, and the security is tripped to cut the fuel to bike.

Anyway, have to take it to dealer for installing the security BCM as they will marry it with the HD Digital Technician, then program my fobs. I was hoping to save $100 by pulling my own damn rear wheel and swapping the BCM myself, then just pay to have the fobs activated - but nope- no go mo fo. have to eat the full labor cost. damn.

The sportster sprocket looks promising. my initial mock up of it on the rear wheel and checking belt alignment etc is good. the sportster sprocket sits 1/8" closer to the wheel hub than the Breakout pulley. However, there is enough side to side belt space to accommodate this. The sportster pulley fits the Breakout wheel hub perfectly, and the shorter 1-3/4" bolts are also perfect.

I'm having lunch now but will finish it up and go for a ride in about an hour / double check for any belt alignment or rubbing issues. And YES! you can use the same belt there is just enough adjustment in the slot to fit the belt on the larger pulley no problem. you do however need to pull the axle bolt to be able to push wheel forward enough to take belt on or off. no biggie.

So anyway seems I'm batting 1 for 2 today. heh.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-07-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Success- test ride completed and absolutely no fitment issues with the 68T sportster sprocket. No belt rubbing, plenty of room and plenty of belt adjustment. It is not a huge difference in feel- she takes off a slight bit better sort of like you unloaded your rear passenger and then took off solo. Another bonus is your wheelbase is now about 3/8" shorter. Again, not a big diff.

i will post some pics up in a bit.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 PM
JemmyPaeg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost done mine, just waiting on a blackline dash to come in any day now, and then installing a procharger. Oh and some proper mounts for my kellerman turn signals up front, after a month of waiting from dark-parts I ended up making some of my own temporarily until they finally come in.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:06 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Procharger,with the stock crank?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cdonis
Procharger,with the stock crank?
Umm... hope not??

Old 05-08-2015, 01:40 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Upgrade Breakout FXSB with larger 68T Sportster rear pulley sprocket 40444-07

Alright here's an update to my earlier post on the rear 68T pulley upgrade. When I did my first test ride, it was mainly to check for alignment and anything odd.
it all checked out great, absolutely zero issues "as good as stock" fitment. I did not notice much added pull, but I logged my run and looked through the data.
i decided to tweak the tune a bit (a lot, actually), and went for another test ride.

Holy crap. bike pulls harder than it ever has before. granted, i think a lot of this had to do with optimizing my spark, VE and AFR, as well as some changes to the accel enrichment-
but DAMN. with a good tune, the new sprocket just makes the bike feel like it dropped 100 lbs of weight. I got on the throttle hard and baby just kept on pulling hard and fast all the way through.

I give this mod two thumbs up, and I'll throw in a woody if combined with a good tune.

***THANK YOU Dynaunder for this suggested upgrade***

Here's some pics - first pic just got it on the rim, with my fancy black bolt cover caps of course!
note the super sweet Pirelli Night Dragon rubber. did I say how much I love these tires??

Second pic shows how much more forward your wheel will sit in the adjuster, and there is plenty of room to properly adjust belt.
The upper blue tape line on swingarm was the OLD adjustment with the stock 66T pulley.
The bottom blue tape line on nut shows the new forward position with the 68T pulley - about a 3/8" difference.

Third pic shows the final belt alignment after running the wheel forward several times to allow the belt to fall into it's natural position.
all good, plenty of clearance and nice straight alignment with front pulley.

This was definitely worth the cost of sprocket, bolts and time to put it on.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-08-2015 at 01:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Road_King_Rider (08-02-2022)
Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 AM
Dynaunder
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default HE he he

Funny hey. beat having cams he he he , best kept sicret

Downunder

Old 05-08-2015, 02:00 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dynaunder
Funny hey. beat having cams he he he , best kept sicret

Downunder
No kidding right?? I was actually thinking to myself after that last test ride, do I really NEED cams now? ha. (well the long answer is yes, i will get cams because that's what I do.)
but this is a really decent performance mod for the money. that and the sportster pulley is cooler looking too-

again, thanks for sharing the "secret"

Old 05-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Dynaunder
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
No kidding right?? I was actually thinking to myself after that last test ride, do I really NEED cams now? ha. (well the long answer is yes, i will get cams because that's what I do.)
but this is a really decent performance mod for the money. that and the sportster pulley is cooler looking too-

again, thanks for sharing the "secret"
SHHHHshhhhh Sicrets , my non English background . Secrets I have more, He hE Happy you enjoy this up date

Dynaunder

Old 05-08-2015, 03:40 AM
Woody.
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

#cvo #breakout

Found this one on Facebook yesterday. These cvo rims look cooler without the brakedisc on the exhaust-side of the rear-wheel.

The following 2 users liked this post by Woody.:
Kidmandudebro (12-04-2023), Road_King_Rider (08-02-2022)

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread