Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo backlight issue - help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:00 PM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speedo backlight issue - help

Hi gang --

need some input ... my backlight on my 2013 fatboy lo speedo keeps going on and off intermittantly... this has already been replaced once within the first 3 months i had it.. has anyone had this issue --

trying to figure out if its a loose connection, bad ignition switch, of just another bad speedo --

my dealer is giving me a hard time about it -- saying if he does not see it happen then he cant do much to proove his case to harley to be covered under the first 2 yr warranty ..

can you believe this ****...

Old 04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when it happened to me, it was because of a loose battery terminal. tightened it down, never happened again.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
bigblock59
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm still having that same exact problem. it started late last year for me. i have the speedo/tach combo gauge. the only thing that flickers is the back lighting. you don't notice it during the day but at dusk and night it sucks. it flickers on and off at random. i had it into the dealership in october last year just before i put it away so they could diagnose the problem as i had installed the part myself. the determined that it was the speedometer. so i got a new one under warranty last fall and stored the bike. well guess what, i got it out a week ago and was driving at dusk and noticed it was still doing the same thing. it goes back in a couple of weeks to see if they can find anything again. yeah i get where they are coming from on replicating the issue. i fix cars and know how that goes. so i told him to have someone take it home for the night. if you find something out let me know.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Peterdk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with my Heritage. The backlight would go out and also the indicator panel. Would stay out for a while then come back on either by itself or when I restarted the bike.
It turned out to be a faulty regulator which can cause this symptom when the volts drop. Had it replaced and no more issues.
Your local HD dealership should be able to check it for you.

Peter

Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 PM
drumer66
Tourer

thx guys.... i will let my dealer know about the regulator thing --

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM
johngp7
Cruiser

Having the same problem on my 2013 Slim, thought it was the speedo/tach combination, put original speedo back in, same problem...had it at dealer 2 times that have not found the problem....dealer now thinks its the BCM, but has to order more test equipment to check it

Last edited by johngp7; 05-04-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:25 PM
drumer66
Tourer

johnpg7...

did your dealer ask that he had to see it happen to warranty this issuse with harley corporate ?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:15 PM
johngp7
Cruiser

Yes they wanted to see the problem...it would not do it at the dealership, so I took pictures the next time it happened...they accepted pictures as proof, here are the pictures

Attached Thumbnails speedo backlight issue - help-img_0614s.jpg   speedo backlight issue - help-img_0615s.jpg  

Last edited by johngp7; 05-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I've had this and a bunch of other electrical problems on my 12 Heritage for 22 months. Sick of it being at the Dealership for warranty work, it's been there a week this time while they've ordered a right turn signal switch. Bet it won't cure the back light on the speedo which has already been replaced.

I've got another thread about this somewhere in the Softail forum. There's about 2 months left of my warranty and I don't know what to do about it.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Theonepr83
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 13 slim my back light off on my speedo when the sun goes down or it gets dark the light kick on the bike has a light sensor the dealer didn't even no I did my research

Quick Reply: speedo backlight issue - help