Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD sissy bar assembly for Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 131 Posts
Default HD sissy bar assembly for Breakout

For those wondering about how the HD sissy bar offering for the Breakout (there is only one) looks like on the bike, when equipped with the quick detachable side plates, here is a photo:

When you take it off, here is what it looks like (notice that the only artifacts are the "spool" mounts, which replace the fender support bolts):

The process of getting the entire assembly "on" or "off" the bike takes at most 5 seconds, once you understand how it works.

I went fancy on mine: the sissy bar, quick detach chrome angle-adjustable sideplates, "french seam" sissy bar pad, and I have the "lock set" on order that will lock the entire assembly to the bike, but release quickly via the provided barrel key.

I realize there are at least some other choices in the aftermarket, but for a factory HD product, this setup seems pretty good.

Jim G

Old 05-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks.
Nice looking Breakout.

What pipe is that?

Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2807
Thanks.
Nice looking Breakout.

What pipe is that?
Thanks! The exhaust is the D&D Low Cat. The Low Cat is identical to the D&D Fat Cat except for being tilted up a bit at the rear. It is intended for bikes with low ground clearance - the upward tilt at the rear raises the exhaust a bit where it might otherwise touch the pavement.

D&D says the Low Cat is the designated exhaust for the Breakout - it does not list the Fat Cat as fitting the Breakout, because of the ground clearance issue. The stock Breakout has very limited cornering clearance compared to most HD models (only about 24 degrees as I recall). In addition, my specific Breakout has also been lowered further another inch at the rear.

Jim G

Old 06-01-2014, 07:08 AM
PikeAl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice looking bike. I was looking at some of the options as my wife has been wanting to ride and I don't feel comfortable taking her along without a sissy bar.

I really like the fact that there is very little left on the bike when you remove it.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:23 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
I went fancy on mine: the sissy bar, quick detach chrome angle-adjustable sideplates, "french seam" sissy bar pad,...
One thing I've noticed with that pad - it is a bit too thick and tends to almost push your passenger off the wider section of the Sundowner pillion. It could use about half as much padding.

... and I have the "lock set" on order that will lock the entire assembly to the bike, but release quickly via the provided barrel key.
Hmmm... I never noticed that they sold a lock. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2014, 08:27 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PikeAl
nice looking bike. I was looking at some of the options as my wife has been wanting to ride and I don't feel comfortable taking her along without a sissy bar.

I really like the fact that there is very little left on the bike when you remove it.
Thanks for the compliment! Yes, it was very important to me that a sissy bar be removable, and that it leave very little evidence of mount points, as I only intended to have it on when I actually need it, like when carrying a passenger, when touring, or when anticipating buying something while out on errands.

When touring, I carry only about 15 pounds of luggage, and it will go into an HD roller-and-handle-equipped touring bag, that will secure to the sissy bar via an elasticized band (see the HD webs tire for details on that roller equipped bag).

When touring, and when staying in one area more than overnight, I will be able to completely remove the sissy bar within 5 seconds, for local riding.

I have the lock set coming so that no one can steal my quick detach side plate-sissy bar assembly while I am inside a restaurant while on tour. The lock set is very slick. It replaces the two pieces that hold the assembly onto the bike with similar pieces that have barrel locks built into them. This means that the appearance does not change at all with the locks having been added - you have to look closely to even see the holes for the keys.

To get part numbers to duplicate this assembly, go to the HD website, select "2014 Breakout" as your filter, select the sissy bar and back rest category, and you will then see:

- The sissy bar
- The sissy bar pad
- A selection of "quick detachable" side plate sets, in either chrome or powder coated black, that are either "fixed angle" or "adjustable angle" for the sissy bar mounts
- The "hardware kit" that replaces the fender support bolts, and allows you to quick detach the entire sissy bar / side plates assembly
- The locking quick detach kit that adds locking capability to the quick detach side plates.

Jim G

Old 06-01-2014, 08:40 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FurryOne
One thing I've noticed with that pad - it is a bit too thick and tends to almost push your passenger off the wider section of the Sundowner pillion. It could use about half as much padding.
Get the version of the quick detach side plates that has the "adjustable angle" feature. It allows you to tilt the sissy bar forward or rearward, alleviating the problem you mention.

Jim G

Old 06-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Msmall
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered one from ginz, still 4 weeks out

Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 AM
rockinred
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim G... your Breakout is one hot looking scoot my friend. Good Job.

To any other Breakout owners, I have the exact same one as above, but PC black with the HD logo on center of backrest left chrome. If anyone wants to do a straight trade for a chrome one I'd be willing. The black just didn't work for my bike, but looks great. I barely use it and brand new.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:33 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

I'm really surprised that HD did not come up with one specific to the FXSB or FXSBE tht fits the bike lines better. Was looking to have a low sissy bar made up for my Breakout like the 2013/2014 FXDWG - one piece, low, clean black bar. or maybe fab up one that mounts to underside of the passenger seat and looks like the one for the VRod. Wifee needs something to hold her on, at least something to lock in that booty

Anyway if I get something done I'll post up pics / info. My scoot:

Quick Reply: HD sissy bar assembly for Breakout