Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding Neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Dwair
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding Neutral

Hello,

So I've had my Softail Slim for about a week now. I've figured out to start with that I have to have the clutch FULLY depressed all the way to the handlebar to even have a chance of shifting to neutral, but even then I'm having trouble.

I'm not a new rider, but this is my first HD, my last bike was a Honda Shadow, which was never a problem, was easy as pie shifting to neutral from first or even second.

I've found that I actually have to shut the bike off when parking in first gear, and THEN shift to neutral to even get it to, and even then it takes me like 2-3 attempts, and I'm doing it as light as i can, just skips right to second gear.

Trying to figure out, is it just always this hard? I've occasionally got lucky and shifted it to neutral at a stoplight, but its generally only as i'm coasting to the stop point. If I'm already stopped, its not happening.

So is this common with HD? Or what am I doing wrong? I feel like a novice, and not being able to put it in neutral at a stoplight is quite annoying.

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:56 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

My Heritage was a PITA for at least the first 1000 miles. I've heard a few others say the same thing with new HDs. Sometimes it helps to rock the bike forward and back a little. They do ease up.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Check the clutch adjustment.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Same bike, 1300 or so miles on it. Still cant find Neutral very easily until it warms up a bit. And even then it doesnt like it.

I think after the 1k Maintainence and the changing of the fluids, some clutch adjustment etc it will work itslef out. The bikes are always so tight when they are new.

OV

Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 PM
Superrust
Tourer

Mine was the same way. Give it time and it will loosen up and become easier.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:43 AM
CagelessRoy
Advanced

When first starting my bike ('13 flstc, 7900 miles), the sequence is usually 2-1-N. My guess is 2-1 relieves some stress so it can find neutral. At a stop light, it's problematic, it either goes in on first attempt or I'm still trying 2-1-2-1... when the light turns green.

Now I did drive a new '13 flstc that really liked neutral, too much so after ending up in neutral when aiming for second three times in 15 minutes. I'll take the hard to get in neutral any day...

Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 AM
CajunIron
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3,300 miles on the Slim and finally a little love tap and she goes right into neutral. Prior to that it was a pita.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:28 AM
funbikerchick
Tourer

I found it very difficult on my Street Bob. On my Heritage it is a bit easier. However, still not a simple thing. For me, to find it, I always go from first with a tap on the heel shifter. Sometimes, actually often, it is first second, first, neutral. Not that I am trying to get into second and back to first, but that is generally what happens. My Heritage has ~ 500 miles on it so maybe it will get easier, but it never did with the Street Bob.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:09 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Same here....'14 Heritage. For the life of me couldn't find neutral. A friend suggested while rolling to a stop, down shift to first and then lightly tap the heal. What I found was that it became easier to do this as the miles increased. Now at about 1000 miles I get it around 90% of the time....so hang in there. : )

Old 06-25-2014, 07:18 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,366 Likes on 984 Posts

When ya ride it long enough you'll probably get the feel for stepping it down from 2-N w/o even using the clutch. Our old Sportster is NEVER is good at finding N, our old Shovel is a little better but still can be a bit be tight. Always stepped from 2 to N at correct road/RPM speed. Our 07 Heritage was tight @ 1400 mi when bought - by 2000 mi it was way better and shifts smooth, I still by habit, when slowing just step it out of 2 to N no clutch at the correct road/RPM speed

Last edited by mjrfd99; 06-25-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Finding Neutral