Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King VS. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 PM
kizzletruck
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road King VS. Deluxe

Hey all, been a while since I posted in here. Probably because I have spent the summer getting my new project (1941 John Deere A tractor) up and running. Well, that and I sold the 'Dark Knight' Night Train back in March. It was a sad day, that is for sure. I figured I would break loose from it while I can still make money (or at least break even) on the bike, and move into something that I probably should have gotten in the first place (a Deluxe). Needless to say I have spent countless hours on HDForums, in dealerships, on craigslist, and nosing through pinterest to find images of bikes to get some inspiration for my next build. But there is a problem:

I don't know if I want a Road King, or a Deluxe. I absolutely LOVE the Deluxe - and either way I go, I'm going to do extended hard bags, fishtails (Hopefully Samson gets their $#!T together), apes, fat spokes, among a bunch of other things I'm sure. So here is my dilemma (even though I will probably answer my own question). The next bike, I've already been informed by my fiance, better be the one I want to last me a while. Seems as though I have some commitment issues what with me renovating 5 bikes in about 5 years, Lol.

Thing is, the Road King is very appealing to me as well. There are just a couple things I can't stand:
1) A Road King without bags is absolutely hideous (and I am going to want to ride without bags probably half of the time). And I also have a hard time getting past the side covers in front of the bags on a Road King.
2) The front ends are a little cleaner on a Deluxe with a single rotor, but Road Kings are probably a little better at stopping with dual rotors.
3) I'm not sure the difference in ride quality between the two - I have never ridden a RK, but I've ridden a newer Street Glide. I'm just not a fairing guy. Let's say with a lowering kit/air ride in a Softail, vs. a lowering kit in a RK. Since I'll be riding two up often.. Which would be a better ride?
4) Are there any years to stay away from? I know I want to go at least 2007+ on a Deluxe. (96ci, 6 speed, FI). I know that in 2007 they had some funky axle mashup going on, correct? like a 3/4" rear and 25mm front? Then afterwards they were both 25mm?

I just don't know man... This has been eating at me for months. Oh, and the picture? That is from the new owner hauling it away. Sad day it was.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:45 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

From your comments, I think the Deluxe would make you happier. Its downright better looking, although the RK Classic was nice. Sounds like your willing to spend some bucks, you don't need or want bags half the time, so go with the clean looking Deluxe. The only thing that would change my mind on that choice would be if you ride two-up and do over 300 miles a day after day after day after day. Then, maybe your passenger would be happier with the RK, but I'm still not sure you would. But, how many people really ride that many miles day after day?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:06 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

RK's are nice bikes, but after reading everything you just said, you need a Deluxe!

Old 07-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

It also depends on what kind of riding your going to be doing for the most part! I just traded my Fatboy in for a Road King but it was for a new 2014 CVO King. Didnt like the standard Road King styling.. I will tell you on my CVO King at least 2 up riding is 10x better then on my Fatboy which is very similar to a Deluxe. Can barley even feel anyone behind me on the King. What i like about the 2014 CVO KING Is that when you take the bags off there is no chrome mounting brakets for the bags it all color matched and blends right in and looks alot cleaner. They really got ther sh$t together with the 2014.. My best advise think of what kind of riding your going to be doing for the most part such as City bar hoping , touring, cruising the country side 2 up, 1 up.. ect... ect... buy the bike based on that and then make it your own! Or if you got the change buy the 2014 CVO Road King cause it looks bad *** right from the factory before you even add your special touch to it and comes with alot of extra stuff that actually makes it a steel for the price!

Old 07-26-2014, 03:31 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Buy a Heritage! Bags when you want, clean look without when you don't want.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:04 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned both. I'm an old fart and the RK was getting a little top heavy so last year I sold it and bought my Deluxe. I like the Deluxe and ride more but there are times I miss the RK.

Last edited by mmcbeat; 07-26-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Went through this myself and it can drive ya screwy! But when I sat on my Deluxe that was that. Fit like a glove. They ride different - RK is very car like in both ride and engine feel when underway. The Deluxe is smooth as well but I feel the engine more because it's mounted directly to the frame. The seating position was the deciding factor. For me the RK is very top heavy when stopped. Not so with the Deluxe. I can stand up at a light and not even touch the bike. I love the long and low look. Just added a Signature Series seat and it's the Mutt's nuts. Can ride now for hours without any problem. Has an extremely thick passenger pad as well.
I get what you mean about the side panels on the RK but they don't bother me. Kinda go with the flow of the bike and bags. For the life of me, I don't know why Harley doesn't offer a chrome option for this part. I think it would dress up the bike considerably and give the Softails a run for their money in the looks department. Well that's just me any way. If I got a RK it would be white and a Classic like this one below.

My Deluxe with that seat;

Last edited by Sleeko; 07-26-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:12 PM
fatfatboy
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd have to say go for the Deluxe. Much better looking bike and like Sleeko stated the RK is more top heavy. With Softails you are more in the bike than on the bike.
I like that.

I've spent a day or two with a King and couldn't wait to give it back.

Now if you post this question in the Touring section you'll get more folks saying to go with the King.
If you can rent a King for a day. Best way to decide.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

deluxe. rk without the bags ruins it for me, too. i was ready to sign the paper on a deluxe, and the deal wasn't quite right, but it will be next on my list.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:46 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kizzletruck

Hey all, been a while since I posted in here. Probably because I have spent the summer getting my new project (1941 John Deere A tractor) up and running. Well, that and I sold the 'Dark Knight' Night Train back in March. It was a sad day, that is for sure. I figured I would break loose from it while I can still make money (or at least break even) on the bike, and move into something that I probably should have gotten in the first place (a Deluxe). Needless to say I have spent countless hours on HDForums, in dealerships, on craigslist, and nosing through pinterest to find images of bikes to get some inspiration for my next build. But there is a problem:

I don't know if I want a Road King, or a Deluxe. I absolutely LOVE the Deluxe - and either way I go, I'm going to do extended hard bags, fishtails (Hopefully Samson gets their $#!T together), apes, fat spokes, among a bunch of other things I'm sure. So here is my dilemma (even though I will probably answer my own question). The next bike, I've already been informed by my fiance, better be the one I want to last me a while. Seems as though I have some commitment issues what with me renovating 5 bikes in about 5 years, Lol.

Thing is, the Road King is very appealing to me as well. There are just a couple things I can't stand:
1) A Road King without bags is absolutely hideous (and I am going to want to ride without bags probably half of the time). And I also have a hard time getting past the side covers in front of the bags on a Road King.
2) The front ends are a little cleaner on a Deluxe with a single rotor, but Road Kings are probably a little better at stopping with dual rotors.
3) I'm not sure the difference in ride quality between the two - I have never ridden a RK, but I've ridden a newer Street Glide. I'm just not a fairing guy. Let's say with a lowering kit/air ride in a Softail, vs. a lowering kit in a RK. Since I'll be riding two up often.. Which would be a better ride?
4) Are there any years to stay away from? I know I want to go at least 2007+ on a Deluxe. (96ci, 6 speed, FI). I know that in 2007 they had some funky axle mashup going on, correct? like a 3/4" rear and 25mm front? Then afterwards they were both 25mm?

I just don't know man... This has been eating at me for months. Oh, and the picture? That is from the new owner hauling it away. Sad day it was.
1 and 2 are personal choices.

3 - If you plan on spending another ~$2k on a deluxe by adding rear air/front suspension upgrades, that $2k would be better spent buying a used 2010+ King with abs, dual front rotors, better ride quality and handling, bags, shield, improved 5th gear. Much more bike. It seems like your criteria is looks verse ride quality and 2up. Not an easy decision.

Quick Reply: Road King VS. Deluxe