Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Servicing Clairification

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 09:28 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Servicing Clairification

Hey all, seldom poster but long time lurker here.

Im having trouble with pulling the trigger on doing a 25k service on my bike. Mostly because my experience is with cars and there is a lot to cover. with a bike your choices are limited and I don't know where to begin. I actually wouldn't have a problem with Harley doing it but Cowboy is expensive as hell and Lake Charles is known to have the worst customer service in the area.

I do have my manual so its not like im completely in the dark. I am having trouble trying to discover what would be the best oil brand, spark plug brand, tranny oil, and oil filter brand to shop for. and in truth I don't know if that would even be a type of issue like it is for cars i.e. if you have a fram oil filter on your cage, for the love of god remove it. if its a "just get the crap from Harley" then I understand but im not quite running into anyone saying that outright.

on to a point that my manual dosent cover, I also have an oil cooler installed. not sure if it is wise to drain it all out of there as well and if I have to compensate the quantity of oil I would have to put in the bike other than its 3.6qt's its supposed to take. I know the adage of "put back how much came out" but if you've worked on any kind of older/problematic/special needs vehicles that logic doesn't exactly apply perfectly in all cases. but again, that's cars, not bikes.

Im still trying to understand a friend of mines education hes trying to lay on me of "your primary should be the same kind of oil" but he cant really explain to me what the **** a "primary" is and why it would take the same oil....or why it would require different oil for that matter. im all V8 and hes all V-Twin so its square peg/ round hole with me and him.

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Troops141
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally just get all my fluids from the dealer.. A lot of people on here seem to use Amsoil and like it, so theres that option. I also use a K&N oil filter because it has a nut welded on the end of it, making for easy installation and removal.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I second the kn filters. I grab a few off Amazon at a time and they run me like 6-7 a piece if I remember correctly.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

For every item we use when doing a service there a zillion options, many of which are of debatable benefit. You can either spend a lot of time researching them all to the last degree - or follow Troops' advice and visit your local dealer. They should have everything you need in stock - a one stop shop! Much simpler. I did just that on Saturday......

Old 03-16-2016, 03:04 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Primary:
i might get yelled at for saying this. i recently caused my own headache by pinching my derby gasket and got oil leaking all over god's green earth. i used the opportunity to try HD formula+ in my primary, (was running hd synth in there) and now the bike shift smoother and is not as loud with 1st gear clunk and chain noise.

just an observation. cost less than hd syn as well.

the forum defaults to mobil 1 75w-90

engine:

I've been using hd syth since 250mi, i briefly ran hd dino oil but, drained it right back out because of the noticeable heat difference.

i stopped by advance and got some mobil 1 20w-50 (3 btls for $29) i will try that for a oil change period with the k&n filter i bought recently.

forum default mobil 1 20w-50 engine oil and k&n filter.

Brake fluid:

i use Castrol Brake Fluid DOT 4. refer to you M.O.M. for your type if nothing has been modded on the brakes. hardly ever mentioned.. no default

pads:

i use lydall z+

forum default lyndall z+

have fun

Last edited by cvaria; 03-16-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 AM
2ndgenmarine
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys. for my car I use a derivative of Mobil 1 for my filter and oil. but I can see how just going to the dealer and getting everything you need in one swoop is easier. I feel like doing that though im getting the basic tier of those items, but if a lot of people do it then I guess Harleys stuff isn't that bad. anyone have a pref for plugs?

I don't like how the man-well only says "HD sport trans fluid or equivalent". seems kinda vague if I wanted to move on to another product.

its unfortunate that the "poor mans service guide" has a lot of dead links in there. but seeing as how it was from 2008, that's like 50 years in internet age.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

There are so many options and opinions on lubricating our Harleys that it would take 50 years to read them and excercise a judgement! If you have a service due any day soon then take the easy option and visit your dealer. If you are determined to source alternative brands now then get yourself a substantial meal and a long drink, take a deep breath and......

Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndgenmarine
Thanks guys. for my car I use a derivative of Mobil 1 for my filter and oil. but I can see how just going to the dealer and getting everything you need in one swoop is easier. I feel like doing that though im getting the basic tier of those items, but if a lot of people do it then I guess Harleys stuff isn't that bad. anyone have a pref for plugs?

I don't like how the man-well only says "HD sport trans fluid or equivalent". seems kinda vague if I wanted to move on to another product.

its unfortunate that the "poor mans service guide" has a lot of dead links in there. but seeing as how it was from 2008, that's like 50 years in internet age.

i used hd plugs just because they are sitting at the dealer and cheap. some folks use ngk or champion. see here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...o-you-use.html

Originally Posted by cHarley
HD plugs are made by Champion and the Champion xref plug for the Sporty is an RA8HC.
About $1.50 ea at the local auto parts store. Change them every 10,000 miles as called for in the SM. Haven't had a single problem with them in 80,000 miles.

search function is your friend:

Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 AM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

I'll cast my vote towards HD products for your needs... Like stated their is so much information and opinion out there on oils, it will make you dizzy.
I have been using HD lubes for many years and have no complaints. Pricing is a bit painful would be my only beef, but I have found their products very reliable.
BTW, the HD Syn is synthetic blend not full synthetic like some may think.
Good luck...
You can do it!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 168 Posts

I've had my engine and trans. apart using these products for 50k+ miles, and they're still pristine and clean.

Plugs either check out a cross reference chart. Any of them will do, although my personal preference is NGK these days.

For a filter I prefer the OEM HD filter (63796-77A for chrome, I forget the black PN). If going aftermarket, verify it has proper specs to match.

Last edited by Scuba10jdl; 03-17-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Servicing Clairification