Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Roadster Quick Disconnect Sissy Bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Jake Canaan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 Roadster Quick Disconnect Sissy Bar

Hi All,

I have a 2016 sportser and would like to put a quick disconnect mount for a sissy bar on it, but the harley dealer is telling me it can't be done. Just wondering, has anyone done this yet? Take a look at the picture below. The problem seems to be the tail light mounts. I'm so new to harleys so I'm really not sure what the art of the possible is. I would have to think that I could just replace these tail lights mounts with something different but not sure. Let me know what you think.

Copyrighted image removed by moderator. You can post a link to it, but you can't pull it off their site and post here.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 04-30-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:45 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

it can be done, the issue is the rear turn signal stand-offs. replace them or work around. no big deal

ditch these

this is whats happening under there. the item circled in red are where you want to attach the docking hard ware for the removable sissy bar
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/attac...-rear-shot.jpg

it's really easy for people to say stuff can't be done. takes some thought to say yeah.

Last edited by cvaria; 04-30-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Canaan
Hi All,

I have a 2016 sportser and would like to put a quick disconnect mount for a sissy bar on it, but the harley dealer is telling me it can't be done. Just wondering, has anyone done this yet? Take a look at the picture below. The problem seems to be the tail light mounts. I'm so new to harleys so I'm really not sure what the art of the possible is. I would have to think that I could just replace these tail lights mounts with something different but not sure. Let me know what you think.

Copyrighted image removed by moderator. You can post a link to it, but you can't pull it off their site and post here.
I like the light mounts, have given it some thought but have not bit the bullet yet. It seems like one could find/make spacers to add in addition to the detachable mounting point kits.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

you could just add black standard sportster standoffs. [the little rail cover nubbin may need to be supported] if i bought a roadster, i'd ditch that silly stuff right of the bat. i need my QD luggage rack.

http://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpar...PS_AND_TURN_SI

Last edited by cvaria; 04-30-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Jake Canaan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do you think I should just order parts for a Sportster 883 or 1200 and they will fit as long as I change the tail light mounts?

If I search for parts on the roadster, side plates for example, I only get these fixed mounted ones:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...cted=category3

Old 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jake Canaan
So do you think I should just order parts for a Sportster 883 or 1200 and they will fit as long as I change the tail light mounts?

If I search for parts on the roadster, side plates for example, I only get these fixed mounted ones:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop...cted=category3
you kinda can't go by the site once you go off the beaten path. the search criteria is based on the bikes in stock configuration.

the frame of the bike is no different from all the rest of the sportsters int your year. the differences are the parts that they used to achieve the the look with out the rail/strut covers that would normally be there.

here's what is going on under there:

ref:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post14957434

the rails cover all that activity normally. there are also holes for wires to pass through the frame and stabilize the stand-off (note the little extension on the stand-off in the pictures below)

rails

quick detach locations on a standard set up.... see where the 2016+ roadster stand-off is blocking the frame hole at the rear?

the roadster stand-off base fits in the contours of the frame rail and in two bolt holes to stabilize the stand off.

the signal housings are still the same (2014+ on left, pre-2014 on right):

stablizing extension

how it fits

clamping pressure will hold the old style stand-offs but, some rubber washers wouldn't hurt since there's no rail cover. this will free up room for your docking hardware to mount your sissy bar.

seems like a lot but, it's not. at some point hd will put out an extension set you can buy for 150 or so, lol.

another option is to make your own extensions from parts at a hardware store for less than 20 bucks and a few hours of your time. it will look sorta stupid being out that far from the bike... but that an "eye of the beholder" thing.

good luck

Last edited by cvaria; 05-01-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

This is fantastic info, although a bit late for me as I already installed rigid side plates, back rest, pad and luggage rack. Wanted quick disconnect from the get go, should have posted the question here first. Oh well...