Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil TEMP GUAGE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
eno50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil TEMP GUAGE?

Hello, everyone
It sure is hot in my part of the country,I would like to keep a eye on my oil temp.
What is the best way to go? I have seen the harley dip stick/ guage on ebay,do they work?
Or is there another after market that is better, and also what is the normal operating temp range? and the danger zone. I have heard alot of talk about watching your oil temp in hot weather, someone please give me the scoop on this,I don't want to damage my motor.

Thanks ENO50

Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM
beendad
Road Warrior
Default RE: Oil TEMP GUAGE?

I have the Harley oil temp gauge on my 03. Seems to work fine. Dealer told me that the operating temp should not exceed 250 for any extended amount of time. My bike runs at about 150-180 on a normal basis in hot weather(90+).

[IMG]local://upfiles/28574/E3509C8E78A3461488823D42A599CFEB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 PM
LANGeek
Advanced

I have the oil dipstck temp guage on my '01. Works great. You have to twist around a bit to see it while sitting on the bike but it can be done. When moving you don't read it as much as you look for the needle position. A subtle difference. But it works well.

My bike runs between 150 and 180. Although, in the winter when I was running around in temps below freezing it barely got to 140.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

The analog "dial" gauge is worth every penny in my opinion. Mine normally runs 180-200 in the summer. In the summer & heavy stop & go traffic it can approach 250. With the gage, if you think your bike is overheating, at least you have a real number to work with. Wihout the gage all you can do is say "I think my bike is running hot"

Old 06-22-2007, 05:23 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Guess I'm different than some, but I've never use one, and don't see any point in having one..

A little common sense goes a long way; in extreme heat conditions don't do like many posts I see (ride it like you stole it), make sure you are running a good synthetic oil, and don't set longer than necessary with the engine running, as "air cooled" engines need air flowing over the cylinders to help keep temperatures in line.

And another thing (which is very important), have your bike checked and make sure you are running the correct a/f ratio, as a bike running with a lean condition is going to generate more internal heat.

Around here temperatures this time of the year are constantly in the 95+ range, and during the dog days of summer temperatures of 105+ are very common. Myself and the guys I ride with have never had any heat related problems.

Take care of your bike and it will take care of you.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:39 PM
MJK
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a gauge it is made by Drag Specialties, looks just like the Harley gauge and I imagine 50% of the price. It was on the bike when I purchased it.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM
FORDTUFF
Advanced

the harley dealer in waco had two different gauges, one had a temp gauge and a dipstick for less than $30.00 and the other one the bottom part more resembled the shape of the original dipstick , i have read about some riders haviing leakage on these dipsticks , but now im wondering which one is causing the leaks. any thoughts?

Old 06-23-2007, 04:45 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the harley dipstick -replacement gauge from Chicago Harley for I think <$40. Mine runs 190-200 with ambient air temp up to about 80. You're probably fine without it (spend the money on synthetic oil instead) but I'm a gauge geek, so I bought one. You could also make one from an instant-read thermometer like they use in food service. Those are about $10 but you'd have to drill a hole in the oil tank if you wanted a permanent installation.

Old 06-23-2007, 05:03 PM
ryback
Tourer

I agree with both cHarley & OFG even though they have different answers.

If you've been rining an air cooled V-twin for years you kind of just know what feels right or wrong.

On the other hand there are lots of newbies here and their first summer straddleing a V-twin in stop and go traffic can be alarming and likely to generate posts here about their bike running hot. If they have a gauge then they can post the temp. numbers if they think they have a problem. That makes giving them advice a bit easier. How hot is really HOT is relitive without some numbers.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Booey424
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a oil temp dipstick on my ride.It usually reads 180-200 when fully warmed.Depending on stop and go trafiic or open road driving.Driving in a slow parade or something will make it run hotter than normal conditions.

Quick Reply: Oil TEMP GUAGE?