Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed My Stage 1 Conversion Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:45 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter
Received 228 Likes on 149 Posts
Smile Installed My Stage 1 Conversion Today

As most of you know, HD restricts the airflow in and out of the engine and tunes them very lean to meet the terms of its agreement with the EPA. Therefore, I decided to ride my new bike for six months and to then do a Stage 1 conversion on it. I used the six months to research the components I wanted to use for the conversion and how I could reduce the cost. I finally settled on the components, and I decided to perform the labor of installing them myself. Hope my research and experience help someone else.

Since I am stopping after the Stage 1 conversion, this decision made the choice of components easier. I am using a Vance & Hines FP3, V&H Twin Slash 3+ slip-on mufflers, and the HD Stage 1 Kit High Flow air cleaner. I chose these components because they are easy to install and because H&V already has standard maps for them. The retail cost of these components is $885 plus sales tax. By shopping the components on line I as able to acquire the new V&H components for about $120 less than retail and didn’t have to pay freight or sales tax. My local dealer sold me the HD air cleaner kit at a discount that covered the sales tax plus a few dollars. Over all, I saved about $125 on the components by shopping around.The dealer quoted me approximately $460 to install the components. I installed them myself. My total savings from careful shopping and self-installation was about $600. I am no master mechanic—far from it, but the skills required to perform the labor was very basic—a one beard. Because I own a Craftsman socket and other basic tools, the only tool I had to acquire was a torque wrench that I bought on Amazon for around $20. The entire installation took less than 4 hours. The mapping of the FP3 (the part I feared most) was a breeze and took less than 20 minutes. The hardest part of the job was the removal of the OEM slip-on mufflers.I am pleased with the outcome of the Stage 1 conversion. The sound is just right, and the look of the new components on the bike is great. Overall, the cost of the Stage 1 conversion was about $850. Plus, I really enjoyed working on my bike and know how to fix anything that goes wrong.Obviously, I will need to run the bike for a few weeks to see how effective the Stage 1 conversion is in improving the operation of the engine. But, my initial results are promising. I will post updates to let you know how my results progress.Bottom-line: A Stage 1 conversion is worth doing. The cost can be kept reasonable if you shop the parts and do the labor yourself. The required labor skills are very basic.
V&H Slip-ons complement the OEM look of the bike.

V&H FP3 is small and easily fits behind the left side cover.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:29 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,126 Posts

Congratulations. Sounds like you spent your money wisely and got excellent results! I've had my bike at the stage one level for 28 years, no reason to mess with a solid engine, fills my limited needs quite well.

John

Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 AM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,379 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I agree with John, the Stage 1 upgrade is worth it. Even before I installed the Rush slipons and the Stage 1 air cleaner, I reflashed the bike with V&H stock MAP. The bike ran much better just doing that, and runs even better with the slipons and air cleaner when I flashed it for them. I even routed the breathers out of the airbox and under the bike.

BTW, unless you are running the Autotune feature there is no reason to leave the FP3 attached to the bike. IMO, that could be asking for trouble, if unknowingly some how the FP3 app got fired up on your phone no telling what that could do. Just me I guess...

Old 01-19-2019, 01:28 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Congrats...sounds like you did your own research and have your own vision.

I think most members in the Sporster forum have at least stage 1....unless you are in the classic section which is mostly original.

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:43 PM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

Yep, stage 1 made a big difference for me also. I leave my FP3 connected all the time with no problems. I like to check temps and RPMs occasionally. Just me?

Old 01-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

My thoughts, exactly.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

Thanks for the advice for not leaving the FP3 connected. Your comments confirmed my thoughts and concerns. The service manager at my HD dealer warned me against trying to use the Autotune feature--more things can go wrong than any slight improvement is worth.

Quick questions for you guys with experience.
1. I have taken my bike for a couple of 15 to 20 miles runs. It seems to idle smoother, have better throttle response, and run smoother now that I have a few miles on it. Is this normal and how long will it take to stablize?

2. I get a single "pop" when I decelerate to engine brake. Is this normal?

Jim

Old 01-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Ernie DeBord
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did it on a 2016 883 Iron and on a 2018 1200 Iron. Did wonders for both bikes. Sound & run like they should! Only diff I used the V&H "Nekkie" air filt. The 883 at 10000 miles runs better than ever. Only have 800 miles on the 1200, did the upgrade at 500. The 883 never did have any "decel pop", the 1200 did, I ran the decel feature on the fp3 and it took it right out, I have run auto tune and it seems to help. Both bikes just keep running better. I am high pleased with the V&H setup. I bought both bikes new, and would do it soon as I could on a stock engine. Regards "Big E"

The following users liked this post:
Las Vegas Jim (01-19-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:41 PM
Slyguy_41
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Las Vegas Jim
Thanks for the advice for not leaving the FP3 connected. Your comments confirmed my thoughts and concerns. The service manager at my HD dealer warned me against trying to use the Autotune feature--more things can go wrong than any slight improvement is worth.

Quick questions for you guys with experience.
1. I have taken my bike for a couple of 15 to 20 miles runs. It seems to idle smoother, have better throttle response, and run smoother now that I have a few miles on it. Is this normal and how long will it take to stablize?

2. I get a single "pop" when I decelerate to engine brake. Is this normal?

Jim
Hi Jim,

I recently bought a 2013 Sportster 72 with 9k miles on it. Prior owner had installed a cone ‘Stage One” style air cleaner and a set of Vance & Hines staggered ShortShot mufflers. While I really liked the sound, the tune, as you’d guess, was way off and poor running. Lots of heat, surging and decel pop. I bought the FP3 and had that cured in minutes. I bought a fresh, new, Harley branded Stage One air cleaner and bobber style dish chrome cover. Looks great and runs much better now.

To to answer your questions:

#1 The tune is set with the download and there shouldn’t be much variance in how it runs. It’ll just take some time for you to acclimate to how much better it’s running.

#2 Check that you’re running the best octane fuel you can buy and put in a new spark plug that is gapped properly. If the decel pop doesn’t clear up in a tank of fuel or two contact Vance and Hines. They are very helpful.

Hope me this helps and enjoy your ride.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Las Vegas Jim
Supporter

I only run the high octane fuel. I also bought and installed a set of HD Gold spark plugs. There is quite a range of spark plug gap settings listed in my shop manual; I set my new plugs in the middle. I am not sure this is the best gap setting. Since the fuel/air mixture is now running more rich, should the spark plug gap be set to a more open or closed setting to get the best complete fuel burn capability?

FYI: I am very satisfied that my engine oil temperature is now running 25+ degrees cooler once the engine is warmed up. Is this normal?

Quick Reply: Installed My Stage 1 Conversion Today