Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sporty 48 How high can I go without buying cables?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 02:31 PM
Pnut48
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sporty 48 How high can I go without buying cables?

So I know this has probably been asked a thousand times. But I have the standard 48 model which has the same low-*** bars as the Iron 883 did/does. So I have never really done anything to the bike, and don't want to get in over my head with something. I would like to get some new bars, but I don't want to go through the hassle of draining and refilling the front brakes. I don't think it would take a drastic change to get where I would be satisfied, but does anyone have a good idea of how much rise I can do without having to get all new cables and mess with the brakes? I'm thinking 7" will be too high without cables but if anyone knows for sure that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:18 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,253 Likes on 769 Posts

To some degree, you can reroute the cables (somewhat) for slightly higher handlebars. Watch a You Tube Video to see what yer lookin at before ya pull the trigger on new bars. Outta yer "Comfort Zone?" Find an Independent Shop to do it for ya.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:53 AM
Pnut48
Advanced

thanks for the response. But therein lies part of the problem. Pretty much every video I'm seeing is of people doing the full job bc they aren't trying to simply work within the limitations of the stock cables. They want 7" or more of rise, so they do the whole thing. Just looking at my cables, the only one that looks as if it would be any detriment is the brake line. I don't think it will allow for anything more serious than 2" risers at the clamp.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:31 AM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,253 Likes on 769 Posts

Changing the front brake line is not rocket science or extremely difficult. Ya need to bleed the system, remove the old line, install the new line with new banjo crush washers and fill the master cylinder. I use a Mighty Vac for bleeding the brakes. Aftermarket brake line come in longer lengths, so ya can get exactly what ya need. Just gotta measure the OEM brake line to know how much longer is needed.

Old 02-10-2022, 10:50 AM
Knuckles48
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I installed Biltwell Chumps with only a slight bend in the stock brake line to make them work. I believe they are a 7-71/2" rise. Swapping out the brake line is very easy as mentioned if you need to. One other trick if needed is to disconnect the throttle side switch wiring harness (under the tank) and reroute it along the left side of the frame instead of the right side the way the factory does, it'll give you another 3-4" of play.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:27 PM
Pnut48
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knuckles48
I installed Biltwell Chumps with only a slight bend in the stock brake line to make them work. I believe they are a 7-71/2" rise. Swapping out the brake line is very easy as mentioned if you need to. One other trick if needed is to disconnect the throttle side switch wiring harness (under the tank) and reroute it along the left side of the frame instead of the right side the way the factory does, it'll give you another 3-4" of play.
You have 7" tall bars with the factory brake line? The other cables, I can see that, but my brake line doesn't look like it would get even close to that. I could be wrong, again I'm not a wrencher. I changed the oil and I think I got it right lol

Old 02-10-2022, 03:50 PM
Knuckles48
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pnut48
You have 7" tall bars with the factory brake line? The other cables, I can see that, but my brake line doesn't look like it would get even close to that. I could be wrong, again I'm not a wrencher. I changed the oil and I think I got it right lol
Yes, as I said it did require a slight bend in the ridged part of the line but, I got away with it. Hey , if you can change oil you can do a bar swap. Buy some bars you like and figure out what you need from there. It's way easier than you think. Google/You tube is your friend, watch, study and learn. AND TAKE YOUR TIME! I have learned and done so much to my bike from the internet. Good luck and have fun bud.

The following users liked this post:
Pnut48 (02-10-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 06:49 AM
Rob Harper
Road Master
Received 2,372 Likes on 735 Posts

My Sportster had some riser extensions on when I bought it. They were about 2 3/4" high. I took them off and went back with stock clutch cable, and will soon change brake line back to stock too. You can have the longer brake line and clutch cable if you like, just pay shipping. They were plenty long for 883 Low stock bars with the extensions.

Old 02-14-2022, 07:12 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,409 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuckles48
I also installed Chumps and was able to bend the brake line and reroute other wires and Cables to work. I didnt like how the brake line looked so eventually replaced it. I also added a longer clutch cable when mine broke for an unrelated issue.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:12 AM
mac48
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '20 48 and I put a 2" riser extension on and that is the absolute limit for the front brake cable on my bike. Everything else was fine.