Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 04:13 AM
HDJkr22
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And as i said b4 i havr rewired and replaced evrything from the injectors to the fuel rail the feeder hose, the fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, the filter the filter housing, the only thing i havent replaced is the quick release. But everyone i have spoke to says that the quick release doesnt go bad. But they sell replacement ones online and at harley and aftermarket shoos to so they must go bad at some point. Now they r cheap but i believe it takes a sprcial tool to take them off without f*****g up the tank. If anykne knows of this to be true please tell me and how much itight be to obtain one, i would love and appreciate it immensely.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:47 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,752 Likes on 2,412 Posts

The quick release valve is screwed into the pump mounting plate so you won't damage the tank. I have changed one and it is quite straight forward.

What someone might be telling you is about changing just the o rings that are in it. A company charges quite a bit for a special tool for pulling the old ones and putting in the new. It comes as a kit with a few more bits than just the o-rings.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:40 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,672 Likes on 6,933 Posts

Originally Posted by HDJkr22
I have the diag manuel the service manuel and the parts cat. And I can't find anything on the subject other than security that's for the red key <snip>
Originally Posted by HDJkr22
And as i said b4 i havr rewired and replaced evrything from the injectors to the fuel rail the feeder hose, the fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, the filter the filter housing, the only thing i havent replaced is the quick release. But everyone i have spoke to says that the quick release doesnt go bad. But they sell replacement ones online and at harley and aftermarket shoos to so they must go bad at some point. Now they r cheap but i believe it takes a sprcial tool to take them off without f*****g up the tank. If anykne knows of this to be true please tell me and how much itight be to obtain one, i would love and appreciate it immensely.
And unfortunately I am in a place where I don't know anybody I'm not from here I came here with my wife and my children for a better life and don't know anybody out here. And this is a town where if you don't pretty much belong to a certain club you can't even get nobody to talk to you there's not a lot of independent riders out here especially independent riders that know anything about bikes they pretty much go to the dealer and I'm not going to pay that kind of money I'mma do it yourself kind of person
If you have the service manual like you said, you should read it as it tells you the procedure for removing the quick release housing and/or if special tools are needed.

Who are these "everyone" you have spoke to? HD Dealers? HD mechanics/service people? Or just buddies of some sort. Guess you found everyone to talk to about your bike except the that you said no one talks to the new guy.

No disrespect; however, if you are a do it yourself kind of guy, something is not adding up. Good luck with your project and report back when you find the issue. Maybe post up a few pictures of your project so we can know exactly what you are working on.

Like Andy said, it was wrecked and unless we are there, do not know the extent of the damage or how good of a job you have done with repair. Just changing out parts may or may not solve the problem. Testing each individual part IAW with the diagnosis manual and service manual is the way to go.

Old 02-03-2024, 03:47 PM
HDJkr22
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update, the issue turned out to be the IAC. Replaced it am gonna test start it after work today. Will give an update afterwards.