Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE ICM vs. a Programmable ICM

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default SE ICM vs. a Programmable ICM

Since there have been many posts here about people "upgrading" to the SE Ignition module, I thought I would share some nice graphic differences between it and a properly tuned, programmable ignition module. (pic's below) I am not going to go into a lengthy technical description of ignition timing, I'll let the graphs speak for themselves.

Since, thanks to the EPA, HD is now forced to sell only "street legal" SE ICM's, the ignition timing on these modules is restricted in orded to meet emission requirements, just like A/F ratio is that most of you are aware. The only significant advantage the SE ICM has over the stock ICM is an increase in the rev limiter.

On the other hand, with a programmable ICM, the ignition advance curve can be programmed for optimum performance.

The first graph below shows the HD SE map (#159FM003-AO.MT6) for a 1200 Sporty with Stage 1 mods.

The second map is from a TC88A programmable ICM with a Turbota mod.35 map. It is optimized for best all around street/strip performance, for a 1200 Sporty with Stage 1 mods. This is what I'm running on my bike, and there IS a big difference.

Credit for these graphs and the mod. 35 map go to Ron (Turbota) over on xlforum.
As you can see, there is quite a bit of difference.

Enjoy

SE ICM Map. (Street Legal)

TC88A w/Turbota mod. 35 Map

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 PM
ekaphoto
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE ICM vs. a Programmable ICM

What does the remap stage1 etc do to your fuel mileage. I live in an area where gas stations are few and far between in places so range is a factor.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Around town, the fuel mileage is the same but, acceleration is noticably stronger and smoother. Warm up is faster and the idle is also smoother.

Crusing on the highway, mileage is up about 2 MPG.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 AM
ryback
Tourer

WOW, like the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. I would have never guessed that the stock map was that ragged.

What other options does the TC88a give you? I assume it has a higher rev limit?

Old 05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

Thanks for the info cHarley. How long did it take you to dial in the right numbers? You must have seen my recent post on the SE module.For the money, it might be worth it to buy. If I had all yours, it would be no problem.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: bigtop1

Thanks for the info cHarley. How long did it take you to dial in the right numbers? You must have seen my recent post on the SE module.For the money, it might be worth it to buy. If I had all yours, it would be no problem.
Larry, the biggest reason I posted this was because of the constant threads we see here about rejetting/remapping to overcome the factory lean A/F ratio. While most people call doing a rejet/remap, pipes & A/C "Stage 1", when it is really "Stage .5" because you've only fixed half of the problem. Most people don't understand that the stock ignition timing has been crippled just like the stock A/F ratio. Once the ignition timing is corrected, you have a complete "Stage 1"

Many hours were spent by Turbota to optimize this map for the Sporty, hence the map name mod. 35. It's the 35th revision. I have tamed Turbota's mod. 35 map just slightly to to eliminate a small amount of pinging I could detect when initially rolling on WOT while cruising at 50 in 4th gear.

My tweaked map should work well on both 883's and 1200's with stock compression because the difference in compression is offset by the 883 running 87 octane and the 1200 running 91+ octane.

Yes, the programmable module costs more, about $275 compared to $120 for the SE, but then aren't people pretty much pissing away $120 with the SE given that it does nothing but raise the rev. limit? There really isn't much in the way of extra power to be had, from a stock motor with a stock ignition curve, above 6000 rpm anyway IMO.

BTW, I put off doing the ignition for a year because I thought $275 was more than I wanted to spend, but when you consider that many people spend $250 - $500 doing the 1st half of Stage 1, another $275 - $300 to complete the other half is not unreasonable.

Also, sorry to disappoint you but money don't grow on trees around here either.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:00 AM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: ryback

WOW, like the saying, a picture is worth a thousand words. I would have never guessed that the stock map was that ragged.

Yes, in addition to the advance map it has several other features.

Programmable speedo calibration. This first came in handy because my stock ICM caused my speedo to read about 5 mph higher than actual at 70 mph. It came in handy again when I replaced my rear tire with a Metz 160 which is slightly larger in diameter than the stock Dunlop and caused the speedo to read about 3% low.

It also has an option to delay the firing of the ignition for 1, 2, or 3 engine revolutions when you press the starter button. This can be useful especially on 1200's with higher compression. The 1200's sometimes have a habit of the engine kicking back against the starter when you try to restart a hot motor. After awhile, this will eventually strip the teeth off the plastic starter clutch gear. It happed to mine and replacing the gear, parts & labor, isn't cheap. To get the starter out you have to remove the primary cover and the rear exhaust pipe. I repaired mine myself but I'm pretty sure the cost of paying someone to do this would exceed the price of the ignition module.

The rev limiter is also programmable in 100 rpm increments. A safer way to push the rev limit up a few hundred rpm without jumping to the 7000 rpm limit on the SE IMO.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:20 AM
bigtop1
Road Master

Well said and, welltaken, kind sir. You are my kinda guy. Ride safe.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:20 PM
ryback
Tourer

Tannkx, Sounds like I need to look into this because I had the starter gear go out just like you describe. $350 at the dealer to fix it and I don't want that again. Would you mind sharingthe map you did?

ORIGINAL: cHarley

ORIGINAL: ryback

Yes, in addition to the advance map it has several other features.

Programmable speedo calibration. This first came in handy because my stock ICM caused my speedo to read about 5 mph higher than actual at 70 mph. It came in handy again when I replaced my rear tire with a Metz 160 which is slightly larger in diameter than the stock Dunlop and caused the speedo to read about 3% low.

It also has an option to delay the firing of the ignition for 1, 2, or 3 engine revolutions when you press the starter button. This can be useful especially on 1200's with higher compression. The 1200's sometimes have a habit of the engine kicking back against the starter when you try to restart a hot motor. After awhile, this will eventually strip the teeth off the plastic starter clutch gear. It happed to mine and replacing the gear, parts & labor, isn't cheap. To get the starter out you have to remove the primary cover and the rear exhaust pipe. I repaired mine myself but I'm pretty sure the cost of paying someone to do this would exceed the price of the ignition module.

The rev limiter is also programmable in 100 rpm increments. A safer way to push the rev limit up a few hundred rpm without jumping to the 7000 rpm limit on the SE IMO.