Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I just be a Sportster guy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Razorback Rob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't have anything to do with money. I bought a Sportster because I had never ridden a bike before this one. I thought it would be a good bike to start with. And then maybe later on like everyone else, trade up to something bigger. But thus far my only complaint is the physical size of the bike. But I try to be realistic. I'm not going to set off cross country. Not because I dont want to, but my family and job prevent it. So I dont need a touring bike. I dont need more power. You know? I dont race professionally so what the hell do I need 117ci motor for? Eight out of 23 guys I work with ride Harleys. Of the eight, two of us ride 1200s. Out of the eight, the fastest bike is the one that takes off first. If I leave first, they cant catch me and vice versa. So I dont need more power. And I dont really want or need two bikes. I mean damn, thats two insurance premiums! Geez! Still, I'd like to know howmany of you out there ride two up on a Sportster very often.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM
DPFhd883
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to one day get a Street Bob mostly for longer rides but I already know my Sporty will always be my most frequent ride. It's non stop fun just being on it no matter if you're sitting in traffic or hitting the twisties.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
TrixR4Kids
Intermediate

My wife and I ride 2 up all the time. We haven't taken any really long cruises over 150 miles but the bike has plenty of power and we are comfortable on a sundowner seat and backrest. The stock HD shocks sometimes bottom out and I am planning on getting some progressives to help with that. Nothing wrong with a 1200.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Sick1200
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me personally, I haven't ridden two up very much on mine. My brother on the other hand does quite often, he's about 220 now used to be 260 and my sister in law I would guess somewhere in the neighborhood of about 180, so they aren't small people and they seem to enjoy the hell outta themselves.

When I went to MMI 7 years ago I had just gotten my endorsement and got it on an 883, I had also ridden my ex father in laws softail, heritage, and road king. While in school I was so against getting a sporty (the girls bike) but after a few years of being out of school and still without a bike I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and buy one since it was all I could afford. I've now had my sporty for 5 1/2 years now and have thought to myself, "I don't think I will ever buy a bigger bike". I've ridden both the heritage and road king over 350 mi in one day and found myself still wanting to ride when I got home, but there is just nothing like hopping on the 1200 and cruising the highway or in town. Sporty's seem more alive, they move more, they are noisier, and they seem to have a helluva lot more character than any other motorcycle I've ever ridden. Point is, there is nothing that can convert me to a bigger bike now, even though I was so against them in the beginning, you just can't beat the quad cams!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I put a Sundowner seat and a padded backrest on my XL1200L Low and both of the people that I take with me on LONG rides (340 to 550 miles) are very happy with the upgrades from the stock seat that came with the bike. I can change the seat out in a minute or two to the stock seat if I am just going around town or on short rides by myself if I want to but I have gotten used to the Sundowner seat at this point. As for the rear shocks, I have been thinking about changing them out just lately but again I myself have no real problem keeping them on the bike. I am just thinking about some extra comfort for any passenger that I may have along with me. I find that 2 up riding is not a problem for me and any of my passengers on my Sportster. I tend to go farther and faster without a passenger as I have to stop more often for gas and restrooms and restaurants then when I am by myself but 500 miles in one direction trips up to San Francisco, CA or to Reno, Nevada or over to Flagstaff, AZ really is no problem for me and my passenger. I am most definitely a Sportster guy (See posted pictures) and I have a friend that has a FXDX Sport that would rather have a Sportster for his commute to work as it is a much more nimble bike to ride in traffic. Better on gas too! I was at a gas station in Santa Fe, NM when a couple on a loaded up Softail pulled in and they both talked about how they used to have a 1200 Sportster and how much fun they had on it and they would have rather kept the Sportster then have had to sell it for the Softail. IMO a 1200 Sportster is a much more all around bike to own BUT as I have not owned a Big Twin, I have no real point of reference to compare against. I do know that any trip that you will want to take with a passenger will be primarily dictated by your passenger’s personal limits of endurance. This will apply even if you have a Big Twin. The size difference between a Sundowner seat for a Sportster and a Sundowner seat for a touring Harley is 15’’ wide for the rider and 12 1/2’’ wide for the passenger for a Sportster and 16’’ wide for the rider and 14’’ wide for the passenger for a touring Harley. I did not find the length difference between the two seats and that might help you see how very little room difference there is between the two seats. Also your Significant Other may say they want to go a lot of places with you and do a lot of riding together with you BUT again life has a way of changing peoples ideas about the future and if you do buy a Big Twin you may find that you are still the only one who is going places on it more so than with your SO. I’m just sayin…

Attached Thumbnails Could I just be a Sportster guy?-xr1200-2009.jpg   Could I just be a Sportster guy?-xb12r-2006.jpg   Could I just be a Sportster guy?-xlcr1.jpg   Could I just be a Sportster guy?-xl1200l-low-2007.jpg   Could I just be a Sportster guy?-xl883-2007.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
tennmoto (11-27-2021)
Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems like the eternal question, right? I won't lie to anyone - when I was looking to buy my next bike I wasn't even considering Harley. Around here, it was mostly a bunch of old geezers on their Road Kings. I was looking at actually building a custom bike from one of the local places. A coworker was the one that pointed out the Nightster to me. Keep in mind, this was the bike I was planning on having for a very long time. I love the old school bobbers and cafe racers. The matte finish and bobber hybrid look of the Nightster drew me in pretty quick. And for 11K off the showroom floor?! I've had the privelage of cruising around on a lot of big bikes including the almighty Road King and Fat Boy. Some friends I'm staying with now have a Victory King Pin and Vegas Low that I've been privy to take out. Don't get me wrong; the big tourers and cushy bikes are a sweet ride. But it's kinda like comparing a '65 Caddy to a '68 Shelby Mustang. I like the rough, bare bones bike with a little kick under her. Would I own a tourer someday? Maybe, but I'll always be partial to my little piece of American muscle.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

My wife and I are planning to take our 1200 low to Kentucky to visit my folks latter this month; then travel back down through Smokies and the tail of the dragon on the way home to Texas. I'll report back after the trip as to if we still want to keep it.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Sporty105
Advanced

I have a 1200 custom with a backrest and i interchange the sundowner (when wife rides with me) and the stock seat (solo riding) all the time. Plenty of power for cruising. Only other thing i am looking to get is progressive shocks to help from bottoming out with the extra weight added. Other than that the 1200 pulls just fine.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife bought me a new bike last summer... She had a deal set up for a new Geezer Glide Ultra... All set and ready to sign and drive.... I saw the nightster when I walked in and fell in love with it... So, I got that instead... Now I ride that, and the OL rides the 02 Hugger. all is well.... now the OL is looking for a new bike and found a SE Softail that she wanted... then she saw a 1200C and now wants that instead. I think Sportsters just grow on some people and the thought of having a bigger bike sounds good for trips and 2 up riding, but when it comes down to actually getting one.... Just can't do it cause we sporties so much.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Flatlander
Road Warrior

Take the wife with me quite frequently, longest trip was 450 miles each way over two days. 1200c, have a sundowner and detachable backrest for when she is with me. I am however thinking about the roadking shocks. I just can't let go of the $ for progressives, but a pair of ebay RK shocks sounds very tempting.

Quick Reply: Could I just be a Sportster guy?