Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could I just be a Sportster guy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:03 PM
blippo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't get rid of my Sportster. I rode the Road King and Electra Glide. Nice bikes, but I wanted to get back on my Sportster.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:24 PM
jl28
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started on a sportster traded for a RK I liked it but always thought of getting another sporty as a second bike .Well;now I'm getting a Divorce an I needed the money so long story short, I'm back on a sportster and lucky to have it.I'm with you ,HD doesn't make any bad bikes .I like something about every one of them.I love sportsters they are cheap ,[mines paid for] fast,handle good,are a blast to ride and easy for me to maintain myself.The best thing I like about sportsters is they're just a bike,no big deal,jump on and go,more bang for the buck.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Go demo a couple bikes. You'll know more then.

Good luck!

I used to be a sportster guy.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have wanted a Sportster since they were introduced. I went through many metric bikes. I even had the 04 Honda Rune. When I finely went to HD, I got an 07 Softail Custom. All that chrome just got to me. I just never scratched that sporster itch.

Then I realized that at 69, I had better get going on a bucket list. What timing! HD comes out this year with the XR1200. So I sold the Nomad and got it.

The XR is a great reward for waiting so long.

It will have to sit for the next several weeks as I am taking it's cousin the Buell Ulysess to Fairbanks Alaska starting this Sat. morning. Riding with two of my sons. A 9,000 mile fathers day ride.

Last edited by lh4x4; 06-11-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
JerseyJames
Novice

I've just 'upgraded' if you will, to a 2004 Night Train. I've owned three Sportsters, a 1982 1000, a 1991 883 and a 1988 1200 in that order. I loved all of more sportys. This is a tough one, and an excellent thread.

If I could only own 'one' motorcyclle, I won't say that I'd return to a Sportser. The added HP for the highway with my 1450 is a dream. Two of my sportys were 4 speeds and anything over 50 MPH was not enjoyable.

That being said, a Softail lacks the fun of any of my sportsters for around town riding. The sportsers are such a blast to ride and power out of turns. They handle so much better in my opinion now that I ride a Softail.

I'm 45 years old. When did Sportsers become 'girls bikes' ? I've never heard such non-sense. Ride what you like. Sportsters are Motorcycles. The best ever made.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 AM
883Ironman
Advanced

I rented a shadow 750 for a couple days. Nice highway bike. Good top end. Then I bought my sporty. I thought it would be "gutless" on torque like the Honda, but i was pleasantly surprised when I first let out the clutch! very torquey for the size! Also, I fwell in love with the HD sound! No metric bike can match it!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Brennr
Cruiser

Sportys r the way man. u gota gud lookn scoot. I'd keep the sporty n buy sometn else

Old 06-12-2009, 06:13 AM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JerseyJames
When did Sportsers become 'girls bikes' ? I've never heard such non-sense. Ride what you like. Sportsters are Motorcycles. The best ever made.

I've been hearing people say that old hack line for years before I owned a Sportster, but last night was my first encounter, of many to come, with a douchebag who feels like he's got some point to prove.

Sitting at the bar (Dublin House, Red Bank), haven't even finished my first pint, having a conversation with two of my bandmates, one of whom rides a Heritage Classic, about bike dealerships and some asshat already about 3 Guinness in decides to pipe in uninvited. He gives the whole "What do you ride?", "nice bike, did you buy it for your girlfriend?" bit.

Really? That's where you want to go?

So I just did the whole "Thanks, nice talkin' to ya" sarcastically and short of it all, we just walked away from the dick. All I wanted to do was gouge his eye out of his skullhole with my thumb.

Not that this guy would have been a problem, but you never know who will be, so I just know that when you come across some dickweed like that, just let him think who he thinks he is and walk away.

Still gonna enjoy the hell out of my Iron for a long damned time.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:43 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only people that bag on Sportys are the ones that have never owned one. EVERY single person I have talked to, that has previously or currently owns a Sporty, has spoken affectionately about it.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 AM
deadhead111469
Tourer

Rob, I kept my sporty when I bought the heritage, as for riding 2-up the sporty just wasn't comfy ... I mean to say I like to eat... but the fun factor when I ride solo is still there. The wife and I do a lot of touring...3000 miles on the 1 month old Heritage. But just me around town I jump on the sporty every time.

Quick Reply: Could I just be a Sportster guy?