Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basic and Easy Nightster Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Blako
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basic and Easy Nightster Mods

Hi everyone,

I am hoping i am posting in the correct section.

I was after some advice on some easy cheap do it your self mods fo my new 2009 nightster.

I have just bought it, still riding it in, the only thing i have done to it was get the screaming eagle slip on mufflers.

Are their any cheap options in the way of little tricks i could do to get some better performance, sound etc without spending much money? spent all mine on the bike hahaha

hope to hear off you soon,

cheers,

Blake

Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 PM
shon517
Novice
Default cheap mods for performance?

Hey man, welcome, Im kinda new here also. Iv found it kinda difficult sometimes to get a reply so heres one. I put V&H side shots on my nightster w a SE Super Tuner/Stage 1/SE Heavy Breather...none of it was cheap! The pipes I think was around 590.00 (installed myself) the tuner w breather and getin it DYNOd + labor was 920.00 this of course was at the HD dealership. Im not sayin there arent ways to get what your lookin for, Im jus sayin mine way was definitely not cheap. Once again welcome and good luck Blake.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Blako
2nd Gear

It looks like that is the go but funds permitting i was thinking of starting with an air filter.

I am really green to this and i do not know where to start, what to do and how to find out lol

Old 01-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Crank1
Advanced

Well to me, the first thing I started with was cleaning the bike up, just bought my '08 Nightster used and it still had all that gaudy plastic crap all over it, started ripping all of the plastic under the fuel tank, and the lower belt guard and the front fork flectors, doesn't save but maybe a pound if your are lucky but it looks a ton better and is free. A lot of people seem to be pulling off their front markers, mirrors, and front fenders... whatever their desired look, while these are definately not performance gains, every little bit helps, and you get to decide what stays and goes.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
tandt
Cruiser

Welcome!

I suggest spending some time just searching this forum. There's tons of cool information that's already here. Just soak it up and you'll get ideas.

BTW good choice on the pipes! let's see some pics!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you save the takeoff mufflers? If you did, get a 1 1/2" hole saw and cut the weld on the baffle at the back of the muffler. The baffles will fall right out. You now have straight through mufflers with honeycomb on the sides similar to an old glass pak. They bark!! Sell your Screamin Eagle muffs on ebay and recoup some cash for another project.

Bwana

Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
67bullitt
Cruiser

If your mirrors are still up right, take them off and hang them upside down.
Pull off reflectors. Take front fender off. Turn signal relocate if yours are hanging from the handlebars. Reloacte coil. Tank lift. Change handlebars.
Search these items and you will find all kinds of stuff to do to your new bike.
Search air cleaner to.
Good Luck you are going to be busy, Have fun,
Safe riding.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:54 PM
shon517
Novice

before I got the heavy breather I spray painted my air cleaner housing with flat black spray paint, depending on what color your ride is this may make it look a little more sinister.Believe me, there is plenty of things to do, I got some great ideas from the members on here, jus takes time to search .

Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
m3apx
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street Glide air shocks (used for about $100) and replace the stock seat (I went with a Mustang). Makes it much easier to do the miles comfortably.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:30 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most I can think of is listed, turn signals, handlebars, coil relocate and ignition switch relocate, buy some dark lenses from Sorgy's on ebay and relocate the speedo under the tank. you will find threads on all of these on here. Also go to the social groups and join the Nightster group. We do drop in there every once in a while, go in and say hi to join!

Quick Reply: Basic and Easy Nightster Mods