Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a fuel pak really required?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 PM
ledit0ut
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a fuel pak really required?

Hey guys this is my 1st post but i've been lurking for the past few months. A month ago I bought my very 1st harley 48 sportster!

Anyways now that ive put 700+ miles on it i figured id install my v&h short shots and my joker machine air cleaner. It runs MUCH better and smoother but my co worker was saying I need a download for my ECU or it would void my warranty?

Iv heard i NEED a tune but ive also heard the stock ECU can handle the changes. For now im pretty happy with the way it runs is it really nessesary?

BTW its a 2012 if it makes any difference.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

You just made your lean running sporty leaner...could be OK, but if it was mine - I'd get a tuner & make necessary adjustments for your upgrades.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:37 PM
barbs3131
Advanced

I did the same as you, short shots with new air cleaner, and I also added the Fuelpak. Very easy install, you can do it yourself and it helps the bike not run too lean.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced

Originally Posted by ledit0ut
Hey guys this is my 1st post but i've been lurking for the past few months. A month ago I bought my very 1st harley 48 sportster!

Anyways now that ive put 700+ miles on it i figured id install my v&h short shots and my joker machine air cleaner. It runs MUCH better and smoother but my co worker was saying I need a download for my ECU or it would void my warranty?

Iv heard i NEED a tune but ive also heard the stock ECU can handle the changes. For now im pretty happy with the way it runs is it really nessesary?

BTW its a 2012 if it makes any difference.

My best friend is a parts guy for HD, and I admit at first I was skeptical about the fuelpak when I bought my pipes, thinking it was a sales pitch but believe me it makes a huge difference, especially with a heavy breather. In regards to the warranty it's iffy. HD has to prove the aftermarket add on was the cause of an issue to void the warranty.

Now, do you have to have it? No, and it's highly unlikely it will cause any problems. If you want to MAXIMIZE your add on performance, get it. But definitely not required.

Btw mine is a 2012 as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 PM
IBGary
Road Captain

An x14ied will also allow you to adjust the AFR. I olives the unit in for about 100$.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An XiED is very common and economical way to increase your fuel ratio.

www.nightrider.com

Old 04-25-2012, 08:50 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my bike cause the guy who had it put on pipes and sucker and it didnt run right. so he sold it. easy fix for me- i put on a techlusion tfi tuner and this baby runs much better than i ever imagined it might. and with a richer setting comes cooler engine temps. imo, a good fuel management system is a requirement to correct the way too lean factory setting (they are trying for fuel economy- i sure dont need that on a bike!)

Old 04-25-2012, 09:07 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by ledit0ut

Technically, I would say your warranty is already voided. Short of obvious abuse, act of god, etc, etc, the warranty is in force as long as you don't change it. After all, the argument is pretty simple, as a service manager once told me. "I sold you the vehicle this way but you changed it. I didn't sell it to you that way." So yes, they didn't sell it with the short shorts or the AC so your warranty CAN be voided. Doesn't mean it will or won't. I know some mechanics that took pleasure in squealing to Ford about how the owner modded the vehicle for warranty denial purposes. Why? IDK. I guess it depends on how much of a pr1ck the SM wants to be. Some care, some don't. Sure, they can deny it and you can argue but if they choose to stand their ground, what are you going to do? Take them to court? Might cost more than the vehicle is worth. I live by the simple rule. The day you put your first mod on, assume your warranty is shot. Obviously, if you change handlebars and the trans breaks, it is going to be hard to justify. OTOH, you put the AC and they can justify that the AC caused your engine to run too lean, yada, yada, yada. Can they? Yes. Can you fight it? It is your right. Will they? Maybe not but it is something you should assume they will.

Some say it needs a tune out of the box. Some say you can get away with pipes but NOT an AC. IDK. I know I couldn't get away with both on my 2011 because the AFR reading was way off. Your ECM can compensate for a bit but I am not sure how much. If you really want to know like I did years ago, I tapped into the O2 sensor wire on the sensor side of the plug. That way, if there is an issue, the sensor is easier to replace than the harness.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mullenmc
In regards to the warranty it's iffy. HD has to prove the aftermarket add on was the cause of an issue to void the warranty.
They keep saying that and the MM Act. I'm not totally sure I believe that. The way I see it, if they do deny the claim, you can fight it and see who prevails in court. Take my seat for example. I just put it on but noticed the wiring was chaffed. Did one place deny the warranty fix? Yes. Why? Because I had a non-OEM seat that could have caused it to happen. What could I do? Fight them? Would it be worth the time and money? You have to decide for yourself.

Just because I took you to court and got a judgment against you doesn't mean I will collect. In my old job, we had thousands of dollars of judgment but couldn't collect. Similarly, you can fight it and win but what is your time worth?

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage. If the dealer cannot prove such a claim — or it proffers a questionable explanation — it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission administers the Magnuson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Simply put, unless you are willing to stand up and fight it either as a solo user or a group, your rights don't mean squat if the dealer decides to deny it. Just because it is illegal for you to write a bad check doesn't mean you will get your goods or money back automatically if I stiffed you with a bad check. They can make a case and you can fight it. You might even win it but you'd have to be willing and able to fight.

Last edited by aklim156581; 04-25-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Mullenmc
Advanced

From an HD Shop approved by the HD warranty dept:

http://www.colbochhd.com/warrantyfacts.htm

Quick Reply: Is a fuel pak really required?