Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trickle charge

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 PM
fkgomez
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trickle charge

Is there a way to charge the battery with a trickle charger without removing the battery??
Can I just disconnect the hot wire from the battery terminal, and clamp the trickle charger on to the + terminal and to the ground above the transmission?

Old 07-13-2014, 11:35 PM
evohog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my battery set up with a battery tender pigtail like this ....

Amazon Amazon

It also works as a charger for my cell phone.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:49 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

What I have done is remove the side cover, attach the hot wire from the charger to the positive terminal, attach the negative wire from the charger to where the ground connects to the engine. The battery is never moved.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:35 AM
jaysen
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fkgomez
Is there a way to charge the battery with a trickle charger without removing the battery??
Can I just disconnect the hot wire from the battery terminal, and clamp the trickle charger on to the + terminal and to the ground above the transmission?
Depending on the year of your sportster, you may already have what EvoHog has posted.

I know for 2013-2014 (maybe earlier) they come with a pigtail preinstalled. You'll just need to remove the seat and position somewhere where it can be stored nicely (out of sight) and easily accessible when needed. Thats what I did.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fkgomez
There is a difference between trickle charger and battery tender.
You want a battery tender.
It monitors the battery level and gives a charge when needed.
Get a tender.
Don't use a trickle charger as that is giving a charge all the time.
The battery tender lead is attached to the -/+ posts of the battery. Leads aren't long enough to route it to other locations unless you splice.
Thousands of bikes have and are using the -/+ lead connection to the battery.
Plug it in when not in use and your battery should last longer.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:52 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysen
Depending on the year of your sportster, you may already have what EvoHog has posted.

I know for 2013-2014 (maybe earlier) they come with a pigtail preinstalled. You'll just need to remove the seat and position somewhere where it can be stored nicely (out of sight) and easily accessible when needed. Thats what I did.
Just an FYI,
The MoCo does not ship bikes from the factory with a battery tender cable installed. The cables are installed by some dealers as part of the bike setup process, usually to help them keep the battery charged while the bikes sit on the showroom floor.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Nice welcome too...

Old 07-14-2014, 06:51 AM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum!! Visit and participate often!

Ok fk'g, in response to your question, it's simply a matter of buying the proper charging/power pigtail and installing it to the battery terminals:

Typically [the example above can be found for around $5], the leads are left coiled and positioned behind the battery cover so they're easily found when required, and just as easily tucked away when finished. This is where mine resides on my '09 Iron.

As others mentioned, DON'T use a "trickle charger" but a battery "tender." There are a number of brands out there that people "swear by" but without a doubt I would recommend the Deltran Battery Plus Tender series like the one pictured below, that comes standard with a couple of connector types, including the one used for your bike:

Mine works great, with no snafu's or issues thusfar. They can be found at Pep Boys and many other parts retailers for less than $50, or of course, on-line if you prefer. I purchased mine at a local big box store because I generally like to see things in person before I buy, and to be honest, by the time you pay for shipping, the prices are about average vs. buying over the 'net, plus, when you buy it, it's in your hand! As mentioned, there are others out there that are cheaper, but with that usually comes less of a warrantee along with lesser quality components.

And once the pigtail's in, if you need to, you can purchase a "Y" for adding ie., electronic devices like a charger for your cellphone, or for a GPS:

...via a female type "cigarette lighter" type socket:

=8^)

Last edited by DrewBone; 07-14-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What cHarley said turned out to be a laugh on me. When my 1200-C was new in 2007 I purchased a Battery Tender + and it came with a pig tail. I installed it not knowing that the bike had a Dealer installed pigtail tucked neatly up under the tank. I found it when i replaced my rear rocker cover gasket. I removed one and use the Dealer installed one.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

My 2014 XL1200T Sportster came with a pigtail for charging. I use it all the time with the HD tender charger. Works great. I don't know if the pigtail is factory or dealer installed but I am glad to have it.

Quick Reply: Trickle charge