The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 PM
jeffjackman
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pulling a trailer

I pull a little escalade trailer every now and then. Lookin to go Darkside with a 195 series tire with Ride On in the tire.
Anyone else here pull a trailer while Darksiding it? If so have you encountered any issues?
Thank you
​​​​​​​Jeff

Old 07-19-2017, 09:42 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Trailer

I don't trailer but I seriously doubt there would be a drawback from going dark with a trailer.

I bet once you do it, you will love it.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Pulling Trailer

Myself and some other's in our local group have been pulling trailers and running car tires for a few years and from "our" experience it's the only way to go ! We've been coast to coast more than a couple times in all the different road conditions and the car tire will give you confidence in many ways that a mc tire can not ! Hands down it's much safer with a ct! We have found that a 195 seems to be the best size to run, we've tried many different brands and the two we like are the Yokoham Avid Ascend 195/60/16 and the Brigdestone Turanza, also Dunlop sp5000. No issues at all.

Attached Thumbnails pulling a trailer-usa-trip-015.jpg   pulling a trailer-alaska-trip-2016-part-1-1298.jpg  

Last edited by rlh7677; 07-23-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:58 PM
jeffjackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlh7677
Myself and some other's in our local group have been pulling trailers and running car tires for a few years and from "our" experience it's the only way to go ! We've been coast to coast more than a couple times in all the different road conditions and the car tire will give you confidence in many ways that a mc tire can not ! Hands down it's much safer with a ct! We have found that a 195 seems to be the best size to run, we've tried many different brands and the two we like are the Yokoham Avid Ascend 195/60/16 and the Brigdestone Turanza, also Dunlop sp5000. No issues at all.
Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate all the feedback from the experienced riders in this group. I may have to look into the Yokohama and Bridgestone tire. I experienced a very unsettling wobble today with the Sumitomo tire. Granted i was getting down the road a fairly high clip, but i shouldn't experience a wobble at any speed.
We'll be pulling our trailer mid August. Looking forward to seeing how she pulls.
​​​​​​​Thanks everyone

Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I pull a time out camper with mine.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Wobble

Originally Posted by jeffjackman
Thanks for the reply. I do appreciate all the feedback from the experienced riders in this group. I may have to look into the Yokohama and Bridgestone tire. I experienced a very unsettling wobble today with the Sumitomo tire. Granted i was getting down the road a fairly high clip, but i shouldn't experience a wobble at any speed.
We'll be pulling our trailer mid August. Looking forward to seeing how she pulls.
​​​​​​​Thanks everyone
Nobody in our group in over 500,000 collective miles has ever experienced any kind of handling problems and we sometimes cruise 80mph. We run 40lbs front and rear tire pressure, including trailer tires,trailer wheels 12" or bigger, 10% of total load weight on trailer tongue usually 25-30 lbs but never more than 50 and even worse is tongue being too light. We don't load the bike heavy in addition to the trailer, just normal jackets,gloves etc. Not real familiar with Sumitomo tires, we stick with Dunlop sport 5000, Bridgestone Turanza or Yokohama Avid Acsend 195/60/16, I see some people bragging about getting a tire cheap, we like to buy a good tire and don't mind paying for quality and have never had any kind of failure , regardless of what the "crash & burn" crowd thinks ! Watch the tire diameters and revolutions per mile as you can adjust reduce your rpm's at cruising speed with a larger tire. Find what works and stay with it for safety and dependability . Good luck, safe and great adventures to you !

Attached Thumbnails pulling a trailer-2014-hog-ralley-and-trip-013.jpg   pulling a trailer-2014-hog-ralley-and-trip-015.jpg   pulling a trailer-2014-hog-ralley-and-trip-561.jpg  

Last edited by rlh7677; 07-26-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:17 AM
jeffjackman
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlh7677
Nobody in our group in over 500,000 collective miles has ever experienced any kind of handling problems and we sometimes cruise 80mph. We run 40lbs front and rear tire pressure, including trailer tires,trailer wheels 12" or bigger, 10% of total load weight on trailer tongue usually 25-30 lbs but never more than 50 and even worse is tongue being too light. We don't load the bike heavy in addition to the trailer, just normal jackets,gloves etc. Not real familiar with Sumitomo tires, we stick with Dunlop sport 5000, Bridgestone Turanza or Yokohama Avid Acsend 195/60/16, I see some people bragging about getting a tire cheap, we like to buy a good tire and don't mind paying for quality and have never had any kind of failure , regardless of what the "crash & burn" crowd thinks ! Watch the tire diameters and revolutions per mile as you can adjust reduce your rpm's at cruising speed with a larger tire. Find what works and stay with it for safety and dependability . Good luck, safe and great adventures to you !
Thank you. I am one who thought a "got a good price" on the tire. The max load on the tire is 1201 lbs at 51 psi. Reading all the posts about y'all running anywhere between 32 psi and 42 psi i lowered my air pressure. Perhaps that was the reason for the wobble. I should have bumped her up and ran the crap out of her just to see. I panicked and put a Michelin Commander 2 MT back on her. I have not given up on the CT idea but i assure you i will keep the tires you mentioned and buy one of those in the future.
When i put the motorcycle tire back on and went around the block there was a YUGE difference in handling. I miss the security and feel of the larger footprint the car tire gave. I will be back.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Can you point me to your dark side forum? I looked into this years ago for my 06 flhtci, didn't have any luck finding a tire to fit. Maybe now.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
Can you point me to your dark side forum? I looked into this years ago for my 06 flhtci, didn't have any luck finding a tire to fit. Maybe now.
Unless your rear wheel got larger there are very few choices for you.....

Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjackman
I pull a little escalade trailer every now and then. Lookin to go Darkside with a 195 series tire with Ride On in the tire.
Anyone else here pull a trailer while Darksiding it? If so have you encountered any issues?
Thank you
​​​​​​​Jeff
I pulled a trailer with my 14 limited on a 4500 mile trip this summer, no issue at all, as with out the trailer much better than a crappy mt

Quick Reply: pulling a trailer