The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Motorcycle Safety State Fact Sheets & Helmet Laws

Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 AM
smokinfromshootin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want to know how they determined how much money helmet laws did say/will save a state.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I read the new jersey and the Pa portions ,and it states that un-helmeted riders are more likely to be uninsured riders .And that the state may have to pay a portion of their hospital care. And by wearing a helmet you probably would have insurance to cover your bill. I"m guessing that's where they claim the savings comes from. It also states the death rate went up 68% when they went to being a partial helmet use state.,,

Old 05-05-2011, 08:52 AM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I read the new jersey and the Pa portions ,and it states that un-helmeted riders are more likely to be uninsured riders .And that the state may have to pay a portion of their hospital care. And by wearing a helmet you probably would have insurance to cover your bill. I"m guessing that's where they claim the savings comes from. It also states the death rate went up 68% when they went to being a partial helmet use state.,,
It looks like they may have solved the problem and dont even realize it.

If they crack down on uninsured motorists then there will be less $$ spent. Why not enforce the laws on the books nad have random vehicle (car, motorcycle, and scooter) stops to check for proof of insurance.

I am fairly sure it is not possible to register a vehicle without proof of insurance in most states. And therefore it is likely unlawful to operate an uninsured vehicle. Am i wrong on this?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

What alot of people do is call the ins co, get a binder number which you need to registrar a vehicle, get your registration paper, then blow off paying the premium. I'm guessing that why there are so many hit and runs these days. They know they'll be in big trouble if they stop, but are willing to chance running. In jersey you loose your licence for at least a year for driving with no insurance. Plus the fine and possible community service. They will hang you out to dry if someone gets hurt or killed if you don't have insurance.,,