Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller Front Comp Sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:46 AM
xskuzame
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smaller Front Comp Sprocket?

Has anyone changed the front compensating sprocket to a slightly smaller one for more RPMs? and if so, do you think it's a good idea...
I have a 2007 Street Glide 96ci...

The following users liked this post:
stevec1966 (06-15-2021)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xskuzame
Has anyone changed the front compensating sprocket to a slightly smaller one for more RPMs? and if so, do you think it's a good idea...
I have a 2007 Street Glide 96ci...
What are you looking to do?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 AM
xskuzame
Intermediate

Looking for a little more passing power without doing engine mods..

Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 334 Posts

From my research, they don't make a different compensator sprocket. You can get a smaller crank sprocket, but it will be solid, no compensator. The general consensus is, that's a bad idea with the weaker pressed crank in these engines. You can get a different clutch basket, 49 tooth, and effectively do the same thing while maintaining a compensator in the primary drive.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:39 AM
xskuzame
Intermediate

Okay...thanks for the input.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:41 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a smaller or even larger comp for that and later models. In the good ole days of Evos and TC88s there were/are several sizes, from 21T to 28 IIRC. I replaced the 25T on my Dyna with a 21T and that really woke it up, so understand your ambition!

Changing the clutch sprocket is probably the most expensive thing you can do and I for one wouldn't give it a second thought. You can however get a 30T trans pulley, which will provide a small improvement of 32/30, which will give you a 7% improvement.

You appear to have a 2-into1 exhaust, what other mods have you done? There are other ways of boosting get up and go!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 AM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Buelligan666
From my research, they don't make a different compensator sprocket. You can get a smaller crank sprocket, but it will be solid, no compensator. The general consensus is, that's a bad idea with the weaker pressed crank in these engines. You can get a different clutch basket, 49 tooth, and effectively do the same thing while maintaining a compensator in the primary drive.

Powersports Superstore was selling the Primo Rivera 32 tooth from sprocket on Amazon for right around $200. Ad shows and states a new primary chain is included. I bitched a LOT when no chain showed. The sprocket and primary chain adjuster shoe needed due to the smaller sprocket are there. I was offered a refund but since I had taken the spocket out of the packing to grind / sand some mfg numbers off the side of the spoke that will contact the ramped cam, I passed. I have not installed mine but this sporcket seems to be of a higher quality the the OEM H-D one and reviews on HTT are good.
Biggest issue with it, as I see it, is getting the dumbazz mfg numbers off the contact side and that you need to reprogram the ECM to the difference for the 6th gear light and cruise to work.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

You can swap front trans pulley to a 30T as well as swap the rear wheel pulley to a 68T and see and feel a nice improvement. You would need a way to calibrate your speedo though. A Power Vision as well as a few others can do that for you.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-06-2015, 11:14 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Far easier would be going to a 68 tooth rear pulley. The 07s and 08s were first with the cruise drive 6 speed and were geared a bit too high. This was fixed in 09 and newer with 68 tooth rear pulleys but the newer ones are not compatible with 07 and 08 wheels. There is a Sportster 68 tooth pulley that I put on my 08 Road King and I got slightly better acceleration and surprisingly, fuel economy. Do you have the cush drive or solidly mounted rear pulley? There is enough rear wheel adjustment available so a new belt is not needed.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:25 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Whichever route one takes he'd prolly like the gear ratio change. 4 years ago I did the 49 tooth sprocket and never regretted it for a minute, expensive tho. Try whatever is least expensive and enjoy the newfound zip that 96 has.

Quick Reply: Smaller Front Comp Sprocket?