Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many of you have experienced Compensator failure?
Yes
46.30%
No
47.22%
I think it's on it's way out!!!
6.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Primary rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:02 PM
lineman06
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Primary rebuild due to compensator failure.

Don't ignore your compensator.

2007 FLHX 30k miles

THE BAD
Compensator
IPB
Clutch hub and bearing

THE GOOD
Clutch discs
Clutch housing
Mainshaft splines
Crank splines
Chain

NEW PARTS
SE compensator
All seals gaskets and bearings
Hayden M6
OEM Clutch hub

Do not ignore your crank bang grind on startup. Any primary noise needs to be inspected. Cost me about $$$1000 to do this job myself. Around 1400-1600 at the dealer.

Attached Thumbnails Primary rebuild.-image_zpsoj1u8kmh.jpeg   Primary rebuild.-image_zpsux5emrwr.jpeg   Primary rebuild.-image_zpsujp94ekb.jpeg   Primary rebuild.-image_zpspn0x3mf5.jpeg   Primary rebuild.-image_zpskpykcui6.jpeg  

Primary rebuild.-image_zpss7ztqe08.jpeg  

Last edited by lineman06; 10-26-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:03 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

09 flhtcu 96",stock motor & comp failed @ 9,700 miles.

I replaced installed a new SE comp kit along the GMR's compensave oil system for the new compensator.

The IPB was also making a very low of noise at the time but not near bad enough to replace yet.

Not at 8 k miles later/18k miles the se comp is still fine and the IPB is making a just a little more noise now which isnt real loud yet but will likely have to address/replace the IPB sometime next season.

Have also had to replace the front wheel bearings connector pins on throttle body connector in the past 8k miles too neither of which should have gone bad when there was less then 18k miles on the bike at the time.

I think i am now hearing moaning / humming noise coming from rear wheel which is likely the bearings on their way out.

Scott

Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 PM
lineman06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wscott
09 flhtcu 96",stock motor & comp failed @ 9,700 miles.

I replaced installed a new SE comp kit along the GMR's compensave oil system for the new compensator.

The IPB was also making a very low of noise at the time but not near bad enough to replace yet.

Not at 8 k miles later/18k miles the se comp is still fine and the IPB is making a just a little more noise now which isnt real loud yet but will likely have to address/replace the IPB sometime next season.

Have also had to replace the front wheel bearings connector pins on throttle body connector in the past 8k miles too neither of which should have gone bad when there was less then 18k miles on the bike at the time.

I think i am now hearing moaning / humming noise coming from rear wheel which is likely the bearings on their way out.

Scott
Check the IPB inner race when it's apart. More than likely that IPB is shot or almost done. The noise you may be hearing in the primary could be the IPB dragging on that inner race. As far as the wheel bearings go if it's a low growling noise it's time to replace. Sorry to hear all the problems. Unfortunately Harley seems to be having a hard time with quality control. Especially 99 on up.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 AM
lineman06
Cruiser

I see people are voting. Unfortunately it looks like some others have experienced issues. If anyone cares to chime in on all that it wrecked please do so.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:00 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lineman06
Check the IPB inner race when it's apart. More than likely that IPB is shot or almost done. The noise you may be hearing in the primary could be the IPB dragging on that inner race. As far as the wheel bearings go if it's a low growling noise it's time to replace. Sorry to hear all the problems. Unfortunately Harley seems to be having a hard time with quality control. Especially 99 on up.
=========================

Yeh,HD has been trying to walk the quality vs cost line for quite a while and has obviously not been all that successful at it with all the mechanical issues we see posted here in HDforums .

Recent news on HD's performance in the buisness world shows HD's perf as being lackluster with reduced sales that has more to do with having too many recalls / mechanical issues then the poor economy does IMHO.

Thanks for the info.

Scott

Old 10-27-2015, 02:13 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott

Scott
Likely the rear tire if its worn

Old 10-27-2015, 03:56 PM
lineman06
Cruiser

That's sad that the votes are 50/50. I really think Harley might be on their last leg. I am gonna bet there will be a takeover in the near future.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:35 PM
JoesFLHX
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I know I'm starting to have issues. Have the SE compensator now, and last year (about 15k miles) I replace the clutch hub and inner primary bearing, now I am starting to hear the clutch hub bearing again.

On the shelf for change in the next month or so:
Baker Compensater & adjuster
Baker IPB (May not be using this
New Clutch hub bearing.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I replaced it when I heard it sound like you hit my motor with a baseball bat on start. It was replaced before it let loose and caused damage.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM
lineman06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gliden
I replaced it when I heard it sound like you hit my motor with a baseball bat on start. It was replaced before it let loose and caused damage.

Unfortunately for me that's all mine was doing. By the time the noise comes in its to late. The issue to listen/watch for is jerking/clunking on repeated clutch pull ins and let outs. That should let you k ow right away that the driveline slack is not properly being adjusted. First sign!

Quick Reply: Primary rebuild.