Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:46 AM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cruise Control

Good Morning Fella Tourers,
I have a 07 Ultra Classic! Has anyone on here has ever experience the cruise control just cutting off or stop working? I was going to work yesterday and I was doing about 60, 62 set my cruise and about a mile down the road it just cut off. So I thought I hit or pressed the brake lever. So, I got back up to 60, 62 and pressed the cruise and nothing. So I cycled the cruise on /off switch, pressed cruise still nothing. So I made a full stop to see if that would help and same thing no cruise. So, I said to myself, self I'll check cruise control fuse tomorrow morning. So went out this morning checked fuse and I didn't see any burnt marks on the fuse, but went ahead and changed it and I also, unplugged the cruise control module, waited for about 5 min and plugged it back up to see if that would re-set it. So going to work this morning after replacing fuse and I turned on cruise, pressed cruis at 60mph and bam it worked. But i pressed the brake lever to deactivate it, until I got on a road that wasn't so curvy. So, got on one of the straight roads got up to 62mph and pressed cruise and it started to cruise, but about a mile daown the road it stopped again, so I did the same thing recycle cruise on/off switch off for about 1 min then turn it back on and still no cruise. I don't have a manual yet, but I'm getting one this weekend. But anyone has any idea of what's going on?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a similar experience with leather fringe on brake lever tripping the brake light switch. maybe you have a problem with a faulty brakelight switch? Can you unplug the handlebar lever and test then unplug the foot lever and test? If either of those are going to ground when you are cruising the Cruise Control will drop out.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:02 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Cruise

Long posting history on this site of cruise cutting out. Happened to me too; faulty brake light switch is usually the culpret

Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

BTW the Delphi Cruise on the '03 I ordered new, owned by my son now, has almost 60 k miles 13 years later and still works great.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:47 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

+1 on the faulty brake light switch. I can't remember why but shortly after I bought the bike ('07 bought in 2011 with 19K miles) I had to take the throttle grip apart. That involved taking the brake lever off. I was having the same problem as you describe with the cruise shutting off intermittently. After pulling the brake lever apart and re-installing I have put about 25,000 miles on the bike and the cruise has worked flawlessly.

Just be very careful when you take it apart as you need to shim the lever (check your service manual) or you will destroy the switch.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:24 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Two reasons for those symptoms that I've experienced.
The most recent was the front brake. Mine wasn't the switch but the master cylinder needed to be rebuilt. It wasn't releasing completely. It was either a weak return spring or a gummed up piston.
The second issue I had was the throttle roll off switch went bad.
The roll off switch can be tested by simply unplugging one wire from the switch. If the switch is bad unplugging it will correct the problem. If the brake is the problem you can sometimes push the lever away from the grip and then try the CC.
Also, don't forget to check the rear switch, they can go bad as well.
If none of that works there is a troubleshooting guide in the FSM that walks you through checking every component of the CC system.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 PM
Apendejo
Road Warrior
Received 522 Likes on 295 Posts

Make sure that one of the rear brake pistons is not cocked in its bore. Happened to my '03,
caused the same symptoms described by the OP

Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
Two reasons for those symptoms that I've experienced.
The most recent was the front brake. Mine wasn't the switch but the master cylinder needed to be rebuilt. It wasn't releasing completely. It was either a weak return spring or a gummed up piston.
This was my problem same symptoms. This illuminates the brake light so it is easy to tell. Make sure you wedge the lever per the SERVICE manual if you take this apart. Its a $50 new switch fine if you don't. MC rebuild kit is pretty cheap.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

its amazing after ten years have had virtually no problems with the cc.

when i installed in 07 had to do the "lash sequence" twice...try that?

vss went bad and side affect no cruise.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

...or the Clutch switch.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control