Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Super Shox Non Professional Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 AM
Impala_ss
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Super Shox Non Professional Comparison

This is not a shock bashing or my shocks are better than yours thread. I just wanted to share my personal experience with shocks including my new Super Shox. I own numerous bikes and expected better ride and handling characteristics from the stock shocks.

I have ridden with the stock 12" air shocks, 13" air shocks, 12" Premium Harley hand adjustable, Progressive 944, and Progressive 12.5" 412 and finally my new Super Shox.

I am not tall but with my current seat I have never changed shocks for ride height, it has all been about ride quality. I was never happy with the air shocks regardless of the settings.

I just took of the 412 12.5” Progressive. When I purchased them I was not sure about jumping into the whole shock market myself and the price can’t be beat. Big improvement over stock but felt they rode a little harsh even after setting preload to proper sag. 944 felt the same but easier to adjust.

I went with Super Shox due to being middle of the road with price ($629) and other good reviews. They are also made in the US in IL, not far from me. Also I am vaguely familiar with their shocks for racing. Shocks ordered by weight of rider/passenger like most are. They have 3 different setups, standard, mid, and heavy. My weight fell right at the limit for standard/mid. Was recommended standard due to my riding being mostly solo. Was told I could switch to the mid weight if I was unhappy with the ride. Sounded good to me.

Shocks arrived 3 days later. Easy install besides breaking my jack. I like the numbered preload settings which make for super easy and fast adjustments. Ride height consistent with 12” shocks but have additional travel. No counting turns required. After 2 tanks of gas and very poor WI roads I am happy with my purchase. On the #2 setting the ride is much softer taking the small bumps away and the big hits are not nearly as big anymore. Bike is stable in corners and not mushy like I feared. This included sharp turns with fresh tar snakes. Feel more in the front end than I used to so an upgrade to the front may be in order or at least a fluid change and different weight (have almost 30K on it now). I due ride aggressive (for a bagger) at times and the bike feels stable mid turn while soaking up bumps.

I cannot compare the Super Shox to other high end shocks nor do I intend to. At this point there is no need for me to try anything else. They have met my needs and expectations for a touring bike. With increasing competition Harley should really consider upgrading their factory shocks so they don’t suck so much!

The following users liked this post:
00FattyT (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Jon_S412
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good review I've been debating on getting a set since the company is only 30 mins from my house. I have a air ride setup on my touring bike and figuring out its not a good setup for me!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:05 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon_S412
Good review I've been debating on getting a set since the company is only 30 mins from my house. I have a air ride setup on my touring bike and figuring out its not a good setup for me!
30 mins away, I'd ride over and check them out. See if they will let you try and ride, possibly install for you right there. Im sure they can install shocks in just a few minutes.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Jon_S412
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
30 mins away, I'd ride over and check them out. See if they will let you try and ride, possibly install for you right there. Im sure they can install shocks in just a few minutes.
Yeah I'm gonna make the decision soon. Just too many issues with air ride already and I've been hearing good things about super shox. I'm sure they will be willing to throw them on. Seem like a good group of people over there.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I just ordered a set directly from Supershox; I live 10 minutes away from them, so unfortunately I will have to pay the damned Illinois sales tax But they did give me a veterans discount, which brought the pretax pricing down to $600.

I should have them in hand and installed by the middle of next week, I will let you know what my impressions are!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 PM
mjpeterson777@gmail.com
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rv7garage
I just ordered a set directly from Supershox; I live 10 minutes away from them, so unfortunately I will have to pay the damned Illinois sales tax But they did give me a veterans discount, which brought the pretax pricing down to $600.

I should have them in hand and installed by the middle of next week, I will let you know what my impressions are!

What happened?