Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about "Custom" Colors

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:27 AM
diannes
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question about "Custom" Colors

I could not find an answer to this so hope it OK to ask it here. What exactly is a Harley "Custom Color"? Does this mean they will only produce a limited number of that color. I have fallen in love with the Laguna Orange.....but seems that EVERONE else loves it too. Does that mean there will be a ton of that color sold? I have 2015 Road King in Moroccan Gold but think I am gonna jump on a new 2017 Road King in Laguna.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:34 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Laguna Orange is a $1200 (msrp) Custom color option and seems to be available on the specials only....

They have "Color" "Custom Color" and "Hard Candy Color" options.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:36 AM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I owned a 2008 anniversary ultra classic. The paint was Limited production and the vehicles were numbered. In order to get parts with that paint the dealer needed my part and vin. They have the same thing now with a couple colors. My current bike is a custom color Daytona Blue pearl, but it is not numbered so I can not say how many were produced without some investigation. I haven't tried to get any painted parts for it, but my color isn't listed in catalogs. '14 was Daytona blue pearl, '15 was radioactive green, '16 was cosmic blue and '17 is laguna orange. The next step up is the hard candies (I'm kinda digging the purple) and they have the flame paint sceam.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

while i do believe that they have some formula where they produce a balance point of color combinations per model...

I believe it is akin to their belief in their SE parts as "Harley Davidson's Custom Motorcycle Parts give your bike the comfort, control and performance that fit the one and only you."

Custom means IMO, you can select (if available) that bike in a range of colors not typical of previous years or standard (in their sense) so that you have a color customized to your preference.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:40 AM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmud4x4
Laguna Orange is a $1200 (msrp) Custom color option and seems to be available on the specials only....

They have "Color" "Custom Color" and "Hard Candy Color" options.
I'm willing to bet it will be available on a Limited like the rest.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:55 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultraboy105
I'm willing to bet it will be available on a Limited like the rest.
Not according to the HD web site......But the dealer would probably do it for you as an extra set of tins.....how much money you wanna $pend?

Looks like they do offer Laguna Orange on the Road King also.....

Freewheeler too.....

Last edited by mrmud4x4; 09-09-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

If you like it, buy it, who cares how many others are out there?

For the record, there are a limited number of each color every year... They can only make so many bikes a year. Demand doesn't change how many are produced, may impact availability as many will be sold before arriving at dealership if demand is high. Regardless, if EVERYONE loves it, won't change how many are available.

Last edited by Weavr99FLHT; 09-09-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:18 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by diannes
...... seems that EVERONE else loves it too. Does that mean there will be a ton of that color sold?
....... yes
..... sorta like the Amber Whiskey when it first was offered

Old 09-09-2016, 10:35 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

i did the custom color too, i love it, you never see my color out on the road, i think mine is number 1 ; )

Old 09-09-2016, 12:05 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by diannes
I could not find an answer to this so hope it OK to ask it here. What exactly is a Harley "Custom Color"? Does this mean they will only produce a limited number of that color. I have fallen in love with the Laguna Orange.....but seems that EVERONE else loves it too. Does that mean there will be a ton of that color sold? I have 2015 Road King in Moroccan Gold but think I am gonna jump on a new 2017 Road King in Laguna.
I was told by my dealer that the "custom colors" are controlled to allow them to charge a premium. They also have "custom paint sets" that are even more expensive. They said Harley farms out the "custom paint sets" to a local vendor in Milwaukee. They might do the "custom color" in house. But it is way cheaper to just pump out a bunch of bikes with the same paint colors, changing the production line is not trivial. Interestingly my local dealer sends a few new bikes to a local painter for their own "custom paint set", then massively up charge for them. People buy them, they are usually super cool looking. However, it is way cheaper just to go to the local painter on your own and get whatever you want. But he is obviously prevented from copying whatever he did for the dealer since he is under contract. People get so worked up about what Harley charges for stuff. I say if you can afford it buy what you want, negotiate best you can, but work with a good honest dealer. Yes, they do exist. But they may never agree to a lower price because they know they can sell it to someone else for more money. It's called capitalism.

Quick Reply: Question about "Custom" Colors