Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out of fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:43 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 190 Likes on 137 Posts
Default out of fuel?

'08 FLHT, some mods, 108,000 miles ( at least) Riding the other day, about 75 or so, bike running fine. All of a sudden, engine quit. No noises, no acting up, just like I shut it off. Figured fuel pump. Next morning, I pulled the pump assembly from tank. Discovered that there was only one line attached to the pump. Fished the other out of the tank, hooked it back up, installed pump, and voila! running fine again. Never heard of this happening before, so I thought I'd post this in case anybody else runs into this. Only took about 20 minutes to fix. Strange.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Good find. How did you get home?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Default out of gas?

The line that had came loose is a snap-on connector. I snapped it back into place, and made sure it was secure. Bike started right up, so I rode it home. I've since put about another thousand miles on it with no problems. This post was just to maybe give somebody else an idea in case their bike just ups and quits for no apparent reason. Something else to check. Hardest part is removing the ring that holds the fuel pump in place, but even that's not too hard. Just be very careful.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:53 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I used to have an '08.
Just an FYI-probably unrelated.

There was a recall with the fuel filters on '08's.
I think it was a cracked casing or line and it was sucking air.

Mine died after about 5,000 miles and the dealer replaced under the recall.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:57 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

I have read about that line coming loose a time or two on the forums.
Don't think it's real common but not unheard of either.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Ndfastln
Road Master
Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts

A buddy and I took 1000 mile trip this past weekend. 3 hours in his bike just caught off at about 85mph on the interstate( '07 EG 50,000 mi.). We pulled the fuel line loose from the wuick disconnect and no fuel out the tank. Pulled the top off and pump is working fine with fuel going through the filter and regulator. Put it back together and it had started pumping through again. We then rode to the nearest dealer ( we had just passed one minutes before stopping) and had them re[plce the line from the regulator out and the quick disconnect, and of course the filter while they were there. It ran perfect the rest of the trip. On the way back, about 2 hours from home mine('08 RG 10k mi.) lost power briefly above 85mph twice. I slowed to 70 and made it home. I noticed it popping back when decelerating more often than normal as if it was running leaner than normal. I'm thinking it could be the same problem. I have the same parts ordered, and will let you know what I found when I get a chance to fix it later this week. Good think I have a another bike in the meantime.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:50 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Default Out of Gas

For what it's worth, I forgot to mention the fault codes I got. Don't remember the numbers right off, but one was the front O2 sensor reading lean, the other two were strange. One was the rear sensor reading lean, but the other was rear sensor reading rich. This is part of what prompted me to look at the fuel pump, as I had just filled the tank. No problems with the filter housing being cracked. I got that memo, and checked it out myself. I change filters every 30k or so, and inspect everything while I'm there.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Musician
'08 FLHT, some mods, 108,000 miles ( at least) Riding the other day, about 75 or so, bike running fine. All of a sudden, engine quit. No noises, no acting up, just like I shut it off. Figured fuel pump. Next morning, I pulled the pump assembly from tank. Discovered that there was only one line attached to the pump. Fished the other out of the tank, hooked it back up, installed pump, and voila! running fine again. Never heard of this happening before, so I thought I'd post this in case anybody else runs into this. Only took about 20 minutes to fix. Strange.
I was just last week on a ride in Canada. Going from Calgary to Edmonton my bike just shut off. I pulled the codes and the only two I had were "no combustion front cylinder" and "no combustion rear cylinder" Towed 100 miles to the dealer in Edmonton and I had the same problem. They don't know why the hose came off. The hose and clips were in good condition. They put it back on and I rode another 2,000 miles on the trip without any more trouble but I'm still a little concerned that it may come off again. Even if I know that's the problem it's not an easy fix on the side of the road.