Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar question

Old 04-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Handlebar question

Hey guys, new to the touring bikes. I have a 14 Street glide and I would like some input on handlebars. I'm not sure how tall the stock bars are, but I like the height. I would just like bars that the hand position is rotated more toward the fairing. Any suggestions or pics if you guys have installed something similar? Looking for that 90° from the centerline of the bike without being above the fairing. Thanks guys!

Old 04-06-2017, 10:29 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Your stock bars are 8"s. Look at the LA Choppers Twin Peaks or the KST Mayhems. Either of these will get you the feel your after and won't break the bank either. Also you can go up to 12"s on your bike and not have to change wires or cables and still be behind the fairing with your hands.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You can adjust your current bars. Cost nothing more than a little time. I found on my own bike that quite a small adjustment can make a big difference in feel and comfort.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master

I'm looking for something with less pullback than the stock bars. If I could get away with it I would just bend the ones I have to what I want, but they are chrome so no dice.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Guitarman_sg
I'm looking for something with less pullback than the stock bars. If I could get away with it I would just bend the ones I have to what I want, but they are chrome so no dice.
You rotate the bars in their clamps away from you, towards the fairing, lifting the grips as they turn. Until you try it you won't believe how much that simple adjustment can achieve! Swapping to a different bar will require acessing those clamps, so adjusting your current bars will be good practice if you decide you want to change them after all.

The following users liked this post:
Guitarman_sg (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Again I refer to my first post.
If your a short guy, say under 6' tall, rotating the stock bars forward as Graham suggested may very well help. If your a tall fella then I can assure you the wrist angle on the stock bars is gonna suck no matter how much you adjust. Just my 2¢.

Guitarman_sg (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master

Originally Posted by SBates08
Again I refer to my first post.
If your a short guy, say under 6' tall, rotating the stock bars forward as Graham suggested may very well help. If your a tall fella then I can assure you the wrist angle on the stock bars is gonna suck no matter how much you adjust. Just my 2¢.
Yeah, I'm 6'2" and its the wrist angle that I don't like. I have been doing some digging and I can't seem to find a good pullback measurement. Looking at pics I would say it's 8 to 10 inches, I would rather be 0 to 4 inches, but that is going to be hard to find unless I get some custom made. I really don't want to throw that kind of money at it either.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, I'm 6'2" and its the wrist angle that I don't like. I have been doing some digging and I can't seem to find a good pullback measurement. Looking at pics I would say it's 8 to 10 inches, I would rather be 0 to 4 inches, but that is going to be hard to find unless I get some custom made. I really don't want to throw that kind of money at it either.
The Twin Peaks are 5.75 and the KST Mayhems are 6.25. About as neutral a wrist angle as you'll find and the grip area sits flat.
Also KST will kustom make whatever you want. Give Brett at KST a call and tell him what your looking for.

Guitarman_sg (04-07-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 02:09 PM
rcn1963
Tourer
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I was wanting the same thing. I'm 6 foot, but maybe a bit wider than most. I wanted the hand in the same place, but with a little less outward turn in the wrist. I got the klockworks ergo bars and I'm pretty happy. I was also surprised at how much heavier/sturdier they are over the stock bars. I'll bet they weigh twice what the stock bars weigh.

The link shows 3 different versions (standard/up/back), but I think they discontinued the standard. I got the back and I'm happy. It puts the back of my hand about even with the top edge of the fairing.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ring-2014-2017

Note...my sig picture is before I got the new bars.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

There are some bars out there that offer unlimited adjustments...I think...not certain... that Arlen Ness carries those among others. While it's a great concept, in my opinion, they are pretty hideous, but they do solve a problem.

Also, you might want to see if there is anybody in your area set up to do custom handlebars to your specifications. There was a guy in North Long Beach who custom bent me a set in the late eighties, but I can't remember who he is now! I sat on my bike, told him what I was looking for, and he shipped them to me a couple of weeks later. That was before the 1 1/4" rage, and those require some extra steps...so who knows if anybody is doing that kind of work now.

Otherwise, you might be able to cut your bars, rotate them, and insert slugs, like when guys weld on frames...reweld, grind, rechrome. A lot of work, and some will tell you that doing this can be dangerous. With that I will agree, if the person doing the work isn't real competent. Just an idea for ya..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Handlebar question