Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing swing arm help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default removing swing arm help

I'm replacing my drive belt and found a good You Tube video but the video was not on a touring bike, and I still need to remove the swing arm to remove and install new drive belt. Anyone have any tip's that would be helpful removing the swing arm. I have a 2010 Road King Classic.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Buy the factory service manual - it spells out everything you need to know, which includes removing the entire primary chaincase. Doing that is not something that can be written down in a few words! Many members do such jobs themselves, however that is one I pass over to my local friendly indy - he has the FSM, essential tools and has done it before!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 AM
georgewerr
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
Buy the factory service manual - it spells out everything you need to know, which includes removing the entire primary chaincase. Doing that is not something that can be written down in a few words! Many members do such jobs themselves, however that is one I pass over to my local friendly indy - he has the FSM, essential tools and has done it before!
I'm past that point, The Primary is disassembled, the clutch is out. these where not hard at all. The only thing I have left is the swing arm. I bought the Manuel, it is on order and my dealer says it is going to get her in two weeks. I had one before but I cant find it. I only need help on the swing arm.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by georgewerr
I only need help on the swing arm.
Take a look on-line here to see the parts breakdown. I have an earlier bike, but the process is similar. Support the transmission from underneath, to take the weight of the entire engine/trans assembly (I use a scissor jack). Remove the passenger footboards and the chrome caps on each side, to access the swingarm axle nuts, so you can remove the axle. Adjust the jack under the trans, to take weight off the axle, so it moves freely. I recall on your bike it is intended to withdraw from one side not the other, but I suspect a little experimentation with a suitable rubber mallet will decide that! You've got this far, only a small step further.....

georgewerr (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 AM
georgewerr
Tourer

Thank You GRBrown That is exactly what I needed and it is an assume site. I will save this site for future needs.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM
grbrown
Club Member

I realise now that later bikes like yours only have one detachable passenger mount, on the left, so I suspect that is the side to disassemble from.

georgewerr (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 AM
georgewerr
Tourer

I realise now that later bikes like yours only have one detachable passenger mount, on the left, so I suspect that is the side to disassemble from.
Thanks

Old 05-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 880 Posts

never mind...

Last edited by Joe12RK; 05-22-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

True... Pop the chrome cap on the right side, remove the axle nut and carefully drive the axle out to the left. Make sure you have the swing arm supported to keep it from binding on the axle and or dropping to the floor. Once out, it's a great time to inspect the isolators for wear. Don't forget to coat the axle in anti-seize when re-installing but don't get it on the threads. If I remember correctly, the torque spec on the axle nut is about 40ft lbs.

georgewerr (05-27-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 PM
tonymontanna1983
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I did this job 2 days ago. That pivot shaft will only come out of the left side. Also, when you get the swing arm out, remove those OEM heim type swing arm bearings and throw them as far as you can. Install Sta-bo ball bearings in their place.

If you haven't already, replace the inner primary bearing and seal, shift shaft oil seal, and get the inner primary kit which includes the new gasket, starter o-ring, and the bolts with sealing washers (they are a one time use). That's all I can remember at the moment

georgewerr (05-23-2017)

Quick Reply: removing swing arm help