Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S 551 Easy Starts + Power Vision Tip

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 AM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts
Default S&S 551 Easy Starts + Power Vision Tip

Just trying to save someone the grief of what I just went through. I recently installed a set of 551 Easy Starts in my 07 Road King. I did a lot of research on the topic and for me it seemed the best bang for my buck to go with the Power Vision and the Easy Starts as my bike is not equipped with ACRs. I checked and S&S had maps available on their website.

I ordered the cams from a Canadian Supplier along with new S&S lifters as my bike had about 45,000 miles on it. I ordered the Power Vision from Fuel Moto previously and they sent it with a stock improved map. The tune worked perfectly on by bike.

Thanks to my Service Manual and the videos available on both Fuel Moto and S&S websites the cam install was pretty much painless. Other than installing the pushrod covers..

Fuel Moto was able to send me a map that the bike ran pretty good with but it was not for the Easy Starts. I had some warm starting issues. Basically it was running way to rich at start up and sometimes would not fire up due to flooding. Once on the road the bike performed really well so I was quite confidant that I hadn't screwed up the degreeing of the cams or the rocker arm settings (I used the original push rods). But just too be sure I ripped it apart and checked and double checked. All was good.

So I went to the S&S website. Lo and behold they no longer have maps for Power Vision Tuners on their website. There was a message that came up saying "coming soon". I figured they were just updating. After a few days of no change I emailed them and was informed they no longer had maps for their cams using Dyno Jet products. They suggested I get the bike dynoed. Not everybody has ready access to a dyno or a competent operator........ I'm one of those people. Will I dyno the bike. Quite possibly at a later date if I'm riding in the Little Chute area and I am not happy with where the bike is at but for now I'm happy.

Forum Member JonnyVegas helped me out with a slightly improved map that Jamie had worked on for him. Thanks to both of them. I installed it but I still had warm starting issues.

I did some research and read the WinPV manual cover to cover as well as the lengthy sticky started by iclick. I deduced that I needed to adjust my Cranking Fuel settings. I could not find the table for doing this or many other tables. They were just not showing up in the drop down trees. I was about to send Fuel Moto an email and ask where the heck it was.......then I decided to take another look at the WINPV program.

My bad. You have to go into the options tab and change the setting from Basic to Pro. Once I did that all the tables were available to me. I quickly reduced my Cranking Fuel Setting about 30%. I then sent the new tune to the Power Vision Unit and flashed it into my bike.

The bike starts as it used to when stock and no more black smoke at start up. I realize I may have to adjust the settings as right now as it is about 50F in my garage but at least I can ride and not worry about killing my starter etc.,

Hope this helps someone.
Rev

The following users liked this post:
oldhippie (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:17 AM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Rev, great write up. I thought they eliminated that "feature" of Basic/Pro somewhere along the way of the client updates, but maybe not. I have a vague memory of that. Anyway, make sure you do client updates frequently for WinPV to always be up to date with changes they've made.

Nice troubleshooting on the start up issues.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 AM
hew
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Fuelmoto 107 in my 2010 flhr with manual compression releases and also had some hot engine starting issues. I found that if I do not let the fuel injection go through the start up cycle by pushing the start button right away I have no issues with start up. If I let it cycle it doesn't want to start right away and when it does I get smoke and a very strong fuel smell. Just something others may want to try.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:11 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,137 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by hew
I have a Fuelmoto 107 in my 2010 flhr with manual compression releases and also had some hot engine starting issues. I found that if I do not let the fuel injection go through the start up cycle by pushing the start button right away I have no issues with start up. If I let it cycle it doesn't want to start right away and when it does I get smoke and a very strong fuel smell. Just something others may want to try.
I do this also with my S&S 106. Starts so much quicker and easier. Very good tip here