Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:47 AM
HopOn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an 04 FLHRCI that I picked middle of last year and paid $7k for with 19k on the clock. Knew it was a little high priced but it was from a buddy that had owned the bike for all but one year of it's life and I know how he takes care of things. It has a ton of chrome on it as was the style back then so that accounted for some of the price.

I've put 5,000 miles on it so far and spent some money on it to make it right for me and the wife as well as safety items:
  • Had it serviced and checked out before I picked it up as I rode it 650 miles home
  • New Seat - two up on the old one wasn't comfortable for her and I needed to get back a bit from the bars - went with a TallBoy and it's great
  • New Bars - went with the Heritage (i think) from the MoCo as the beach bars on mine were just too low
  • New Tires - a must on a bike to me cause if I don't trust them I'm always going to be thinking about it - $400 for Commander 2's and it rode like a new bike
  • LED lights all the way around - unbelievable difference - I wouldn't ride much at night before the upgrade and now it's no issue
  • This winter I made some engine upgrades - mainly due to the tensioner issue
    • SE203 cams
    • Cam Plate
    • 95" upgrade
  • These made a HUGE difference in torque which is what I was looking for - a lot less "searching" for the right gear at low speed cruising through town and the ability to roll the throttle at any point in the power band and have instant response
Bottom Line - if I were you and looking at that bike today the extra $500 to $1,500 wouldn't stop me at all - I'd be happy with the bike and happy that I was able to help out someone who had a need...

Good Luck

Old 02-04-2018, 09:01 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

I had an 2003 and loved it. Put over 80k on it without problem one. Left it stock (95th) except for bling and it ran like a champ. If the price is right there should be no regrets!

Old 02-04-2018, 09:13 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,725 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by panz4ever
Few weeks back helped a buddy get an '05 Road King. Couldn't believe the difference riding modern iron made (my "newest" bike is a stock 84 FLH). So got to thinking and looking...
As much as I love my shovelhead I love my RK more. The RK gets up and goes effortlessly, feels solid and inspires confidence. The old wideglide has me hanging on and 55mph is about all I feel comfortable doing. They scratch two different itches for sure so no plans to dump the old bike.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:34 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
As much as I love my shovelhead I love my RK more. The RK gets up and goes effortlessly, feels solid and inspires confidence. The old wideglide has me hanging on and 55mph is about all I feel comfortable doing. They scratch two different itches for sure so no plans to dump the old bike.
Yes, the Pans and the Shovel will stay. Just looking for something that more gettyup and go (no intention of altering the stock old iron). When I rode my buddy's home for him the 5th gear sure made a lot of difference, and it sure was a smooth ride.

Last edited by panz4ever; 02-04-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:46 AM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

I don’t think $8k is overly high in this case. So. Cal pricing at best I would expect that bike to sell $7500+, so if you grab it for $8k, I do t think that is unreasonable at all.

I recently got got back into a Harley and picked up my current ride = 1999 RK with 7800 Miles, for just over $6k, so very similar to you situation. I don’t ride near as much as I would like to because of other hobbies, so I wanted to keep my costs down as much as possible, so I didn’t feel stupid for parking too much $$$ in the garage.

What i found in my area was 1999-2005 RKs with decent low mileage, under 25,000, are and were selling in the $6k-$8k range, but the market is slow, as many RKs and Harley’s in general out here with 40,000 Miles are available in that year range, but they don’t seem to be selling. Add ons and paint color have a lot to do with the prices as well, there are purple bikes out here that guys can’t seem to give away.....which I personally understand......

So in my case, again pretty similar to yours, I found a really low mileage bike that I liked, that was extremely well taken care of, with a bunch of extras, and I couldn’t be happier.

If this 2004 RK is the color you want, and everything else checks out, I say go for it, and ride on.

Good luck!

Last edited by HM_SanDiego; 02-04-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:33 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,210 Likes on 1,480 Posts

Originally Posted by H92064
I don’t think $8k is overly high in this case. So. Cal pricing at best I would expect that bike to sell $7500+, so if you grab it for $8k, I do t think that is unreasonable at all.

I recently got got back into a Harley and picked up my current ride = 1999 RK with 7800 Miles, for just over $6k, so very similar to you situation. I don’t ride near as much as I would like to because of other hobbies, so I wanted to keep my costs down as much as possible, so I didn’t feel stupid for parking too much $$$ in the garage.

What i found in my area was 1999-2005 RKs with decent low mileage, under 25,000, are and were selling in the $6k-$8k range, but the market is slow, as many RKs and Harley’s in general out here with 40,000 Miles are available in that year range, but they don’t seem to be selling. Add ons and paint color have a lot to do with the prices as well, there are purple bikes out here that guys can’t seem to give away.....which I personally understand......

So in my case, again pretty similar to yours, I found a really low mileage bike that I liked, that was extremely well taken care of, with a bunch of extras, and I couldn’t be happier.

If this 2004 RK is the color you want, and everything else checks out, I say go for it, and ride on.

Good luck!
Thanks for the input. And it is my favorite color....Black

Old 02-04-2018, 02:01 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

You can have in any color you want, as long as you want black.......lol

enjoy the ride

Old 02-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,139 Likes on 5,591 Posts

I owned an 03 Road King and an 04 Electra Glide Classic. Both were great bikes and for the most part were trouble free. I would not hesitate to buy another bike from that era as long as the price is right.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:30 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I bought my 2003 FLHTCUI in 2011. It had 2,090 miles on it. I had the tires replaced, and fluids changed. I love this bike. It has a Stage One. It has plenty of power. When I had the SE Cam Chain Tensioner and Oi Pump upgrade at 32k miles the I didn't change cams, because I was happy with the performance. If I rode 2 up in mountains a lot, I would've changed cams.

I have had repairs, but nothing major. Shift shaft seal leaked, new front engine mount, rebuild front calipers at 32k, quick connect leaked, was fixed and new internal tank hose replaced, bottom gasket leak fixed(thats when I upgraded the CCT).
You can check for open recalls with a Harley dealer, give him the VIN #. They can also tell you what work was done at any HD dealer in the country.

When you have an older bike in nice shape with low miles, throw the guidebooks out. Use this test: If you didn't buy the bike, and you see the next owner ride by, who bought it at the asking price, ask yourself this: Do you think "Lucky Bastard", or "Dumb MF"?

If you think he's lucky, buy the bike. For $8k you'll get a better looking bike than the new ones, runs cooler, great 2 lane gear ratios. With more domestic parts. Above 75 I miss a 6 speed, but not a big deal.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 808 Posts

I ride my shovels for fun and the 03 RK [150k miles] for trips. Best of both worlds!

Quick Reply: 2004 Road King