Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relief for sciatic nerve pain

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 09:20 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Physical therapists and back rests can work wonders.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:06 AM
Stache18
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

For me the backrest which really helps my posture has as much of an impact on back pain as the seat itself. Last bike had the adjustable and loved it

Old 03-18-2018, 09:13 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Find a sports medicine clinic that has someone certified in Active Release Therapy (ART). It worked wonders for a couple of my co-workers ciatic pain and has been great for my hip.

Everyone's ciatic pain is different but if it's caused by muscular tightness and pinching ART plus stretching could be the trick. At least they might be able to tell you exactly what's causing the problem so you'll know what might help. You could spend a fortune on seats and still find out that the seat isn't the cause.

Good luck with your search. Riding in pain takes all the joy out of it.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:26 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by crustye
Does anyone have any suggestions on a seat for my 17 Ultra Limited, that won't strike up the pain from sciatic nerve. My HD tallboy seat just isn't cutting it. A friend suggested a Russell Daylong and another a Mustang.
Back pain is a beeyotch! Don't ask me how I know. Did you try an epidural shot of steroids plus physical therapy? Seriously. Worked wonders for me. My very acute pain was gone in 12 hours.
This being said, I doubt a motorcycle seat will make much difference.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 AM
SnoRider
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 145 Posts

Gabapentin

Old 03-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Budda109
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

That type of pain is caused by a different reason for just about everyone. And the fix is just as different. All suggested solutions could work for you. You will have to start with some of the fixes. And stop when one works. Hopefully it's not the last suggestion. Good luck. For the record. If it's not disc related. I would start with wallet, and stretching. That's free! Next shocks and most expensive set you can find $$. Just kidding.Had small issues. Shocks and wallet thing fixed mine.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Maybe I'm a weird one but the stock seat on my RK is very comfortable, my issues are bum hips more than sciatica. Things even easier on my hips than my truck, go figure.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:05 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Not sure it is an option for you, but I found out for me that if I put enough gear on the passenger seat, so I can straighten my back, and even lean against it, then I can ride all day. Riding with pain is a bitch. I have Chronic Lateral Epicondylitis, which means both of my forearms are a problem. At its worst, I could not even tie my own shoes, or cut my meat. Again, not sure if it is applicable, but the only thing that worked for me was smoking dope (which I would not do as it made me stupid) and finally aggressive massage. Something I tried and had a little success with was Acupuncture.

As to seats, my stock seat works for me. But, I have a buddy who has had Russell's and swears by them.

You just have to keep hunting until you find what works for you.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 PM
Mac10
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issues with sciatic. Broke my back and neck. Multiple surgeries, shots and meds haven't been able to repair nerve damage. So even on good days I can't spend hours on the bike without stopping. But the back rest for me is a must. I bought a solo brawler seat on here two months ago. Can't use the back rest with it. I rode a couple days with it and had to take it off. I didn't realize how much that back rest helped. Even though not perfect. Shame too. The seat is in great shape, looked good on the bike and got a great deal on it. But definitely add a back rest if you don't have one.

Last edited by Mac10; 03-25-2018 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Absolutely agree.

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
My experience is this. My physical therapist is worth millions to me. She helped me to figure out what was causing the sciatic pain. I'm sure there can be a million reasons, but mine was surrounding muscles caused by some military injuries. If my hamstrings get tight, they pull on my glute muscles as well as makes my lower back tight. For me....I stretch about 3-4 times a day. I have several sciatic pain stretches that help to release those tight muscles in my butt. I also use a tennis ball and high density foam roller to release those muscles which keeps them from pressing on my sciatic. I have a stand up desk where I work so I can actually stand up and work throughout the day. Right now I'm sitting on a memory foam cushion. For me....sitting all dang day at work is what made mine worse.

I'm no doctor and I know we all have diff medical conditions....but I work with several women who I have shared those stretches with and they all have had 100% success. I don't care what seat I have on my HD, in my office, at home....if my sciatic is trapped, I need to release it. Something causes that flare up ....find that thing and fix it.....then prevent it if you can.

Lastly....I know some take the steroid shots. I refuse to take them. They give them to us military retirees like candy. I'd take dry needling any day over that. Now that works!!!!!! I've had dry needling in my neck, back, etc. It helps to release the muscles around that nerve. Steroids shots, in my humble opinion, don't always work, may stop working after you end up needing many. Again ....just my opinion. Go minimum first....steroid shots last. I work at Special Operations Command and we have in house physical therapists who specialize in injuries.....physical therapy could be your friend! I have some disk issues too, but I beat those issues by staying extremely active......unlike some military retires.

I hate the tallboy, love my mustang........but can have sciatic pain on both, which isn't caused by the seat
My physio has been working on the same issue as you (any many others) While one therapy may work with one and not another. IMS (needling) is amazing and while I hate to admit it, yoga has saved me from many of the usual aches. That damn cramp I get in the hip flexor when I life my feet off the ground for example. The right stretch can eliminate those forever. Right now I'm going through rehab after a second fusion in the neck and these warmer days we're getting are tempting me like a warm apple pie left on a window sell.