Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 music using memory stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Tamingdoom
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 music using memory stick

Can anyone tell me if the Ultra has a USB socket/Flying lead to connect a USB memory stick ?
I plan to rent Ultra Glide in a few months, on my last rental in the US with one I used bluetooth connection for music from my iPhone, it was not great (in fact it spent more time looking for it's pair than actually playing music)
A memory stick might be old school, but its cuts out the bluetooth fragility. Ta.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

14s & later batwings all have USB connector for music play from a USB stick,

The following users liked this post:
Tamingdoom (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:18 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Correct - 14 and newer has USB in side compartment. I hate Bluetooth and really don't like MP3's either. I much prefer CD's
At home - nothing but vinyl and some reel to reel.

I had them all, 78rpm records = 33.3 and 45 rpm records (still have them all) = open reel to reel = 4track = 8track = cassette - CD's and now mp3's . That's it I'm not going to upgrade again.

Tamingdoom (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,821 Likes on 18,576 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Correct - 14 and newer has USB in side compartment. I hate Bluetooth and really don't like MP3's either. I much prefer CD's

I had them all, 78rpm records = 33.3 and 45 rpm records (still have them all) = open reel to reel = 4track = 8track = cassette - CD's and now mp3's . That's it I'm not going to upgrade again.
Okee Dokee :>)

Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER

I never had 78's, not many 45's, no 4 track, some 8 track, hundreds of hours on reel to reel, a few cassettes (both purchased & compiled from vinyl) and now almost as many CD's as vinyl albums. Almost all the CD's are now transferred to either AAC or MP3 format & stored on SSD memory drives & cards, along with my most liked vinyl (never have got around to recording all those albums to digital format).

All that & I find myself mostly listening to DirecTV's Music Choices channels when at home. But I do listen to my own digital music when mobile, car, bike or truck.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:50 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hammz
I never had 78's, not many 45's, no 4 track, some 8 track, hundreds of hours on reel to reel, a few cassettes (both purchased & compiled from vinyl) and now almost as many CD's as vinyl albums. Almost all the CD's are now transferred to either AAC or MP3 format & stored on SSD memory drives & cards, along with my most liked vinyl (never have got around to recording all those albums to digital format).

All that & I find myself mostly listening to DirecTV's Music Choices channels when at home. But I do listen to my own digital music when mobile, car, bike or truck.

I'm in the process now of transferring all my 45's to MicroSD cards and flash drives. It's a never ending battle.
I keep the same type music on each card. I know I can put thousands of songs on one card, but I want to keep it simple (for me) = each card/drive has a specific genre of music, country, rock, oldies, holiday etc. I don't have to fumble around looking for a folder. I just pop in a card/drive and listen to all my favorites in that genre. Did the same with CD's. Only recorded my very favorite songs - no "B" sides or album fillers.

Damn Uncle Larry, you're old! I thought I was the only one left that says Okie Dokie. My wife hates that and Nip & Tuck = drives her crazy.

Last edited by GARY DYER; 12-05-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Uncle Larry (12-05-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:25 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts

Just to say it, you can't grab your iTunes music and throw them on a memory stick. I've read [and taken] the time to burn them to CD then rip the audio... It's a PITA for sure. Really FLAC is a great format for digital, but BIG files. Apple and iTunes grabs you as it's so convenient to buy music. And if they don't have you might rip it and put the mp3 on your device anyhow.

I've not used the USB for music yet, but I've plugged my phone in to it to charge it. It surprised me when the album art displayed on the screen [for songs with it.].

Sounds like some playing is in order.

H

Last edited by HFS; 12-06-2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-06-2018, 02:23 PM
BillMcUltralow
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Been using it since day one! I added a splitter so I could charge my phone and play my flash-drive at the same time with no problems.
I trimmed the foam inside the box so both fit and still close the door.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM
LJLKRL05
Tourer
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

The bad thing about using a USB stick is you have no control over the order of the music, at least I don't on my 2018 model.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:25 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

I have complete control

Quick Reply: MP3 music using memory stick