Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast idle on 03 RG

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 AM
urleycay
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast idle on 03 RG

I beginning to have a nagging problem at start up. I idle @ 2000rpm. I bought bike new in 03 this problem started over last 6 months and the quick fix remedies to fool ecm do not seem to be working. another thing since day one I have always shut bike off w/ kill switch. now I am using ign sw and it does does matter.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:49 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Air idle control valve.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:11 AM
urleycay
Advanced
Default fast idle on 03 RG

Thanks Hey but what and where is this "air idle control valve"

Old 01-06-2019, 08:25 AM
urleycay
Advanced

Hay, Ok i know what your talking about and Itried cleaning mine but I do not have a tit sticking out at 12 oclock position but a hole @ maybe the 2am position so I had sprayed cleaning in there and no change plus my bike idles and runs fine

Old 01-06-2019, 01:46 PM
urleycay
Advanced

Since I posted this thread I went out to shop and cleaned and lubed throttle cables, adjusted same. I took apart air cleaner and clean everything and sprayed idle air control w. throttle open and closed. I started bike and it started at 1500 rpm and adjusted itself down pretty quick. I shut it off and started again and it was at normal idle. i am gonna replace The Idle air control and also thinking of changing out the throttle position sensor just for age. I have 82000 on bike and since they are easy to get to for me I'll replace them.
Here's the question; if I replace these two senders is there anything else I have to do in relation to ECM or whatever?
thanks

Old 02-05-2019, 11:31 AM
urleycay
Advanced

well I changed idle air controll and throttle position sensor and bike started at 2200 rpm, HMMMMMM. I tricked ecm w/ on /off sequence and got bike to start @1400 rpm but will not go down below 1200 rpm. My 03 service manual gives me throttle cable adjustments for carb bikes and not injected bikes w/ cruise. I think I may be screwing up setting on throttle cables also.
since sensor change did nothing to solve my problem and I do not want to keep having to trick ECM it looks like a trip to the dealer is last resort.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:53 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

Check your cruise control cable where it goes down to the throotle body. My 03 rkc did the same thing last weekend. It had shifted out of the holder slightly. You will see a gap where the stopper is on the throttle body. It should be touching.

randy

Last edited by cajun1957a; 02-05-2019 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
urleycay (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:04 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

I just replaced my IAC motor on my '07 Ultra and what a bitch of a job it was. Had to pull the fuel tank as simply lifting it didn't give me near enough clearance. Then I pulled the the engine stabilizer to try and get just a bit more room to access the inside screw. Still couldn't get to it. Bought a set of Torx Ball socket "L" wrenches. I could finally get the wrench engaged but couldn't turn it for nuttin'. Got the heat gun out and finally, slowly, about 1 torx star at a time with a cheater wrench I was able to remove that little bitch. All because I didn't want the added hassle of pulling the Induction Module. But I finally got it all together.

I haven't had a chance to get the bike out yet but I did fire it up and it did idle a little high at about 1100 Revs but quickly came down and settled into a nice 950-975 idle.

The paperwork that came along with the new IAC did say that you need to ride at or above 40 MPH to reset the ECM so maybe yours will settle down once you've gotten it out on the road.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 AM
urleycay
Advanced

I didn,t read that but it makes sense. I save all the paperwork so I'll check it out today. I called the stealer about the problem and he gave me every excuse to ad up a bill or prepare me for one. I told him the bike runs fine once warmed up It is only the start-up. He completely ignored the issue. I check that out and write a follow up.
My 03' I only had to take off screaming eagle air cleaner assembly to get at one bolt and they all came out easy. I did read on paperwork that Harley recomends using a heat gun to get bolts out. Mined came right out and I noticed they had Red loctite on them . no wonder they are hard to get out. Harley recomends Blue loctite for reassembly. Hmmmmm
Thanks again