Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shocks bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley

This is what I said. Using stock forks which you have, you have 29 inches/ 736.6 mm from the top of the triple tree to the center line of the axle. The tubes are flush with the top of the triple tree with only the caps extending beyond the top of the upper triple tree. This is with the motorcycle jacked up with the front wheel off the ground.

Shorten the front forks mentally by removing the fork springs (in your mind) and stroke will be 4.6" and you still need the 1/2" clearance for the beer can bolts (see picture).

Put 1/2" hose on top of tire and place your fender on top (remove the fender bracket bolts from the sliders to allow your fender to go down in position.

With your wheel on the hang, measure 4.6" from top of fender to bottom of the lowest thing. If your measurement hits something (4.6") than your fender will get creased again in bottom out.

You are something else Howard. After having me write all that down you do it for me. LOL and thank you!!!

Old 02-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Hopefully somebody did not move the fork tubes up in the triple tree, which is possible on the newer FLH front ends. If so then that is contributing to your fender hitting. While mine is an older bike and different triple tree and forks, I lowered mine 1 1/2 inches, with a shorter damper, and raised the level of the fluid in the tubes along with a little bit of spacing on top the springs to prevent it hitting the cross bar. The springs are actually H-D springs from their lowering kit, but with different dampers.