Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 FLHX Electrical Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 AM
rakanghoth
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 FLHX Electrical Problem?

Greetings Riders,

Everytime I ride this incident Happens...A sudden loss in power ... the engine goes off along with the stereo and headlight... the start button doesn't start..then I switch the ignition to off and then on again along with changing the handlebar position and power is back on and Everything works again until the next time the bike feels like losing memory again.... it happened when the bike was not moving and when it was on the road as well...

Any Ideas how should I approach this? I'll get the Trouble codes and share it ..

Thank you

Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

You describe what would happen if you turned the Off/Run switch to off. If your not popping fuses I'd look at the connector going to the right hand controls. Could also be a bad splice if that's how the tall bars are wired.

The following users liked this post:
rakanghoth (03-27-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:49 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Yeah, agree with Vernal. You say when this happens you move the handlebars and it fires up? This could be something as simple as a bad switch (run/stop) or you have a wire that is bare causing a short.

Do you have an electrical diagnostic manual for your year bike? Factory service manual?

I would first check for codes, then check fuses, and then check the wires from the ECM to the handlebar harness for continuity, resistance, and grounding. THEN i would start with the handlebars, and since they an aftermarket install, there's a good chance that the problem lies within them. Some will probably say, why would you start from the back at the ECM and then work to the front, if you know the handlebars are the problem? Well because its way easier for me to rule out any ECM issues, fuse issues, and other issues and then go to the handlebars, because that is gonna be some labor breaking the handlebars down. You can also follow a troubleshooting process in the EDM and rule out from there, because that's exactly what Harley is going to do if you bring the bike to the dealership.

Here you go, did the homework for you: http://www.sunnymeadcycles.com/files...iagnostics.pdf

Download on your PC or Mac and you now have it. Good luck and post back your results so others can learn.

Ride safe!!

Ride safe!

rakanghoth (03-27-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:14 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

That exact thing used to happen on my 08 within the first year of ownership. Replaced the ignition under warranty and hasn’t happened since. The wires at the rear of the ignition can be affected by heat. If the above advice doesn’t point you in the right direction, consider the ignition issue that affected mine.

rakanghoth (03-27-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
That exact thing used to happen on my 08 within the first year of ownership. Replaced the ignition under warranty and hasn’t happened since. The wires at the rear of the ignition can be affected by heat. If the above advice doesn’t point you in the right direction, consider the ignition issue that affected mine.
Good call, he can also troubleshoot that as well!!

Ride safe!

rakanghoth (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:50 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

So to the OP, any word on your bike??

Ride safe!

rakanghoth (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 06:18 AM
rakanghoth
Advanced

Do you have the link for the service manual?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:22 AM
rakanghoth
Advanced

I checked DTC and all were pointing at the throttle sensor...which i got fixed earlier before the incident...so i thought they might be old codes...cleared them and rode a couple of times ...no error codes ...i feel its the ignition ****/switch...cuz it comes back on when i move the switch back to off /then on it gets the power back...

Any recommendation how can i make sure it is the ignition?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 AM
rakanghoth
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vernal
You describe what would happen if you turned the Off/Run switch to off. If your not popping fuses I'd look at the connector going to the right hand controls. Could also be a bad splice if that's how the tall bars are wired.

Why does the radio go down with the engine/starter/headlight if it's the run/off switch? Is it linked?
That's why I'm leaning towards bad ignition ****/switch..

Thanks to all the great ppl who are suggesting and answering... God bless you

Old 03-27-2019, 08:04 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

You're right I missed that, radio and headlight point to more than off/run switch. The part that makes it confusing is moving the handle bars to get power back.

If you can recreate it in the garage leave the ignition switch on and don't move the bars then check power to Accessory, Cruise/Brake or P&A fuse to see if they lost power. If they did the switch or it's connector would be the culprit.

Quick Reply: 2008 FLHX Electrical Problem?