Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM
HogglyWoggly
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I see you're just a few miles from me in Pensacola and if you need a second opinion or another quote I highly recommend H&D Cycles in Lillian, AL. Good folks, quality service at a reasonable price. They've been my indy for a while and I've never had a complaint.
I'm not affiliated with them in any way other than they're my shop.
YMMV,

Hoggly

The following users liked this post:
millcreekdr (04-22-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 05:23 PM
millcreekdr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, yes, after my post I realized I didn't have a signature that had any info.
I have about 22k miles on it. I don't know the riding style of the previous owner(s).
So, this is one thing that concerns me.
It's a 2003, so I understand it falls into the crappy bracket of, you're going to have problems if you don't fix this.
I also bought the service manual and am a huge fan of youtube,
My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

So I start my wondering/research on:
  1. 95 Big Bore Kit (which one?, tune?)
  2. Cam Chain Tensioner... SE hyd upgrade versus just new material pads.
  3. Gear Drives.
  4. Updating cams.
Is there a cam chart? What would a 203 versus a 21N, etc. do for it. I need to research that also.
And then, after I do whatever combination of the above, what do I do to reprogram the ecu?

Sorry, I think I stated somewhere that I am new to the HD brotherhood. You guys are part of my research. There is no better advice than from you guys.

Thanks in advance for the time you take and have taken to help guide the new guy. I truly appreciate it.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:53 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

If going gear drive, you should check the crank runout which should be no more than .003. When I had my 04, I went with Andrews 26g gear cams, 95 big bore (SE piston kit), mild port from Big Boyz set at 9.5:1 with an .030 head gasket and used a PCIII tuner. Eventually had it dynoed. .Did all assembly/disassembly myself. Thing ran awesome. Depending on your riding style, a low end torque cam is a good bagger cam.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

All that said, you could simply check the tensioners and if need replacement, put in Cyco pads and ride it. Down the road with more miles, consider a 95 kit.

JTM65 (09-06-2022)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
All that said, you could simply check the tensioners and if need replacement, put in Cyco pads and ride it. Down the road with more miles, consider a 95 kit.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:19 AM
OlAndrew
Road Captain
Received 231 Likes on 143 Posts

The stock pads are bright orange plastic. Take off your oil filter and cut it open. Use a chisel and tin snips (its really thin metal, you could about use scissors), don't grind or hacksaw. If you see bits of orange inside, your tensioner pads are shot and breaking up. You can check if there's any metal bits, too. which is why you cut, don't grind, you won't get any metal in there from the cutting.

The following 2 users liked this post by OlAndrew:
millcreekdr (04-18-2019), Tom Cleary (03-08-2021)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 PM
crabio
Tourer
Received 107 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3

I changed over to S&S gear drive with 510 cams on my 04 at 15,000 miles. At that time HD did not have their new tensions in production. Have no complaints since I did the S&S upgrade, 75,000 mile ago.
I did this eact thing on my 05 RK except I went with the 509's instead of the 510's. Never looked back.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:28 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by millcreekdr
My dealer tells me the 88's have issues with the cam chain eating the tensioner.
Does anyone have any advice as to upgrading to the screaming eagle tensioner?
I believe he quoted me about $1500 for the tensioner installed and most people upgrade their cams while they are benched.

I suppose my first step is to remove the plate to see if it is even the stock one in there. It looks like you need to remove the exhaust though....ugh. Always have problems with dang exhaust bolts!
i did my own! I bought the cyco shoes and the block tool to peen the rivets and get the old pins out. It was lot cheaper than upgrading to the hydraulic tensioner. And not a real hard job. I also put in S&S 509 cams and adjustable pushrods alone with S&S lifters all at the same time. Lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. Also I found the fixmyhog website very useful and even subscribed to get access to the “premium” videos.

Last edited by Lunchboxx; 04-17-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 PM
djloescher
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Lunchboxx I think I may go this route. Mine is an 04 with only 17K miles, but this seems like the most economical way. Did you find that the new cams and lifter, rods made a significant difference in performance? Would you recommend that when I change to Cyco shoes?
TIA - Dave

Last edited by djloescher; 04-24-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot to address who the comment was to
Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

1) How much are you going to invest in special tools versus taking it to a shop and 2) How hard is it to set valve lash and timing?

I know my way around engines, (Ive got a well worked 454 that Ive hand build in my Corvette) but I dont want to open a can of worms and find myself in over my head because I forgot a small step or process. My 07 Eglide has 15000 miles on it and Im planning to replace the cam shoes next winter. Im the kind of guy who worries about everything and this has me worried sick. A local indy quoted me 'around a grand', give or take, to do the job. Im just wondering how much cheaper I can do it myself vs the peace of mind taking it to a guy who does this for a living.

Campy Roadie (04-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioner