Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A brand new problem.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:42 PM
Inigo Montoya
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
It certainly could be a big deal to someone who's not mechanically inclined. And I'm getting the feeling that the OP isn't. You can ride the bike to a shop and pay them to fix this, or you can fix it yourself and possibly have to trailer the bike to the same shop if you mess it up enough, and spend even more.
You hit it right on the head buddy. I am much closer to a carpenter than a mechanic; the years have taught me it is usually cheaper to just pay the man. I think I am going to have to trailer it now because of the volume of the leak. I do appreciate all the responses, even if it is still something I don't think I should try and fix.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,513 Likes on 6,270 Posts

Take it to a mechanic over 50. I had a young guy rebuild my Kawasaki Vulcan 750 carb, and I had to take it to a dealer to get it fixed right. And they took 3 tries.

The following users liked this post:
Inigo Montoya (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Give it a try, it's really not that hard. If I can do it, anyone can!
Dropping the bowl is easy, I bet you have some some grit in there that jammed the float.
Sometimes just dropping the bowl, pushing up on the float a few times, and putting it back together will clear it up.
If the float is full of gas, you should be able to feel it, the float will feel too heavy.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:59 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,894 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Give it a try, it's really not that hard. If I can do it, anyone can!
Dropping the bowl is easy, I bet you have some some grit in there that jammed the float.
Sometimes just dropping the bowl, pushing up on the float a few times, and putting it back together will clear it up.
If the float is full of gas, you should be able to feel it, the float will feel too heavy.
That's what I said, even if you dropped the float bowl so the float hung under it's own weight then cracked the petcock it would flush itself.
Or like Ragtop said, check if the float has gas in it. Then the float is bad.

The following users liked this post:
Inigo Montoya (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

If you can fix a toilet , you can fix a carb. they are quite similar. If not then don't.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Evidently you lack the experience too.
He cant really make it worse and he might learn something. Plus he'll know how to remove it if he does screw it up. So he can take it in for a rebuild. You don't need to take the whole bike in for a carburetor repair.
He cant ride it with the carburetor leaking and to tow it for a carburetor repair is wasteful.
Not quite, but thanks for playing. I've done carburetor rebuilds on every car I've owned that had one. So I'm a bit familiar. At least a half dozen over the decades. But I digress.......................

My post was from the perspective of the OP, who by his own admission clearly doesn't want to or feel confident doing this work.

If he's hesitant to remove the float bowl, I suspect he'd be even more hesitant to remove the entire carb.

Easy for those who know how, possibly daunting for those who don't.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by NELS
If you can fix a toilet , you can fix a carb. they are quite similar. If not then don't.
^^ Yep, this. Motorcycle carbs are really pretty simple.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:48 PM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

It's 34 years old. Eventually everything will need repairing at some point. If yours is the Old Mikuni Carb, it would be worth looking at a 40MM CV that was on the later bikes. There are tons of them on Ebay for $100 +/-.
If you can not or are not interested in trying to do it yourself, take it to a good shop. The money spent with them is often far less than trying to do it yourself.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

If not mechanically inclined and already thinking you don't want to mess with it I would not talk you into messing with it. The brass screws can go fubar. Don't ask me how I know. Ha ha ha. I do miss my Mikuni on my old Wide Glide.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:31 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,894 Likes on 3,009 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Not quite, but thanks for playing. I've done carburetor rebuilds on every car I've owned that had one. So I'm a bit familiar. At least a half dozen over the decades. But I digress.......................

My post was from the perspective of the OP, who by his own admission clearly doesn't want to or feel confident doing this work.

If he's hesitant to remove the float bowl, I suspect he'd be even more hesitant to remove the entire carb.

Easy for those who know how, possibly daunting for those who don't.
I didn't either until I did it. But I'm cheap or thrifty depends on your point of view.
I can't see paying someone for something I can possibly do myself.
At least I'll make a attempt, If I'm going to pay someone it's going to fix something I broke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A brand new problem.