Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 AM
daves31
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Longer handlebars

Looking for a longer handlebars for my 2008 electric glide classic. I don’t want ape hangers or anything high I just want it to come in about 2 inches further back towards me. Anybody know of anything that is kind of like stock but just a little bit longer that will work with the current wiring and stuff ? Or am I going to need to replace anything because of making it longer?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Have you adjusted your own bars? You may be surprised how much they move in the clamps, once they are slackened off. Best done with the help of a friend, to support the bars and stop them slumping (they weigh quite a lot!), also a cover over the gas tank. Costs nothing more than a little time and a few beers!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:31 AM
daves31
Advanced

I have have not tried that yet. I just assumed with the bat wing I didn’t have a lot of play to move them up or down. I had the bat wing off because I added speakers I needed to get to the radio but I didn’t even look at the handlebars. I will check that first. Thanks for the quick response

Originally Posted by grbrown
Have you adjusted your own bars? You may be surprised how much they move in the clamps, once they are slackened off. Best done with the help of a friend, to support the bars and stop them slumping (they weigh quite a lot!), also a cover over the gas tank. Costs nothing more than a little time and a few beers!

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM
daves31
Advanced

Adjusting my bars will not work. When I turn it to the lock position I only have an inch from the bars to the gas tank.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:24 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

Check with the dealer. I don’t know if they will fit yours but I bought 2” pullback bars for my ‘09

Old 05-20-2019, 12:35 PM
daves31
Advanced

That would be perfect. I’ll check.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:31 PM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

Well, remember that the bars will move a lot more at the grip vs close to the tank. Just get in there and loosen up the clamp and see what you can actually get.

All else fails, Harley makes a 'reach' bar that brings the controls closer to you. A buddy's last bike had them, that's all I can say about it other than I think all the stock wiring/cables worked.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:17 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by daves31
Looking for a longer handlebars for my 2008 electric glide classic. I don’t want ape hangers or anything high I just want it to come in about 2 inches further back towards me. Anybody know of anything that is kind of like stock but just a little bit longer that will work with the current wiring and stuff ? Or am I going to need to replace anything because of making it longer?
HD Reach handlebars do exactly what you want. They extend back toward the Rider about two inches from stock and raise the grips just slightly. And they are about 1" narrower tip to tip. This is based on the bars I just installed on my new Street Glide. You will need to research if they offer a set designed for your Electic Glide. I replaced the stock handlbar bushings with the HD polyurathane bushings when I replaced my bars as recommended. Like mine, you might need to get wire extensions for use with the Reach Bars. Clutch and brake cables were fine.

HTH

Old 05-20-2019, 06:36 PM
peterllo
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Longer bars

I adjusted my bars pulling them in and they ended up within an inch of the tank. No good, went with heritage bats, they're a bit higher and pull back a a bit better. No more back and wrist pain. Go to the dealer or your local shop and have them measure you.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 PM
daves31
Advanced

That’s exactly what I need but they don’t make them for my year. They are for 2015 and above. There are a ton of handlebars on line but without seeing them and be in the window and see how they would fit there’s no way I’m going to order them off-line.

Originally Posted by FrankEV
HD Reach handlebars do exactly what you want. They extend back toward the Rider about two inches from stock and raise the grips just slightly. And they are about 1" narrower tip to tip. This is based on the bars I just installed on my new Street Glide. You will need to research if they offer a set designed for your Electic Glide. I replaced the stock handlbar bushings with the HD polyurathane bushings when I replaced my bars as recommended. Like mine, you might need to get wire extensions for use with the Reach Bars. Clutch and brake cables were fine.

HTH

Quick Reply: Longer handlebars