Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield quick release

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:59 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

They are bent out of position, and the windshield may not be seated correctly in the 4 grommets.
They need installed properly, and they will catch under as they should.
Without them, if sitting still, the wind can push your windshield forward and into the headlight nacelle.
Begin by lifting them slightly out of the way, and insure the windshield lower mounds are properly seated in the centers of the rubber grommets. In fact, it's even better to move the windshield a little forward, then lift up and remove it. Sit it down somewhere safe, and closely examine your two lower rubber grommets, and the two upper grommets. It may show wear that the windshield has not been seated correctly. If so, with a finger you can rotate the grommets to where a good center notch is at the top for the windshield mounts to go in. Then carefully ease the windshield back on as you focus on the lower windshield mounts to center the grooves in the lower grommets FIRST. The lower grommets go in first, straight up and down, then the windshield pushes back toward the rear of the bike to engage the upper grommets. Then the wire retainers bend down to keep the windshield from moving forward.
It's not a bad design, just study it a little. Just takes a little focus.
Mine was not installed correctly when I bought it brand new, and was like yours. When I got home, I figured it out.
As I was about to leave the dealer when I bought it, a lazy fat azz salesman walked over and quickly said "You know this bike has the quick release windshield", and jerked and snatched the windshield off. Then He fooled around and fooled around with it frustrated and said "It comes off quick, but takes you a damned hour to put it back on". What a fool, He didn't have a clue.
I figured it out. Just look it over, and focus on the grommets.

Old 05-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Install the windshield on the grommets and make sure it's fully seated; loosen the acorn nuts holding the locking springs; position the locking springs lower so they are behind the top grommet, then tighten the acorn nuts. It's really that simple.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 05-19-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:28 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

That should work, but I have never had to touch the acorn nuts, and I have had mine off and on several times.
OP just look it over, it's not that big of a deal. When right, the wire just kind of clicks down into place.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:17 PM
jlb2782
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 113 Posts

Interesting that they didn’t incorporate these with the windsplitter shield...

Old 05-19-2019, 10:13 PM
texasdw
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

OP...I know this is too late for you.. But mine looked just like yours. I loosened the acorn nuts, etc...made sure the grommets were settled, etc. No. None of that was the problem.

The issue is your retaining springs are bent. Pull the shield off, and bend those things downward. Pull them medially beyond and below the acorn nuts. They should be in your way when you go to put the shield back on. That's really the point. You have to pull them out of the way to get the shield on or off. Anyway, worked for me, and was actually a simple solution, had I tried that first!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:23 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by texasdw
OP...I know this is too late for you.. But mine looked just like yours. I loosened the acorn nuts, etc...made sure the grommets were settled, etc. No. None of that was the problem.

The issue is your retaining springs are bent. Pull the shield off, and bend those things downward. Pull them medially beyond and below the acorn nuts. They should be in your way when you go to put the shield back on. That's really the point. You have to pull them out of the way to get the shield on or off. Anyway, worked for me, and was actually a simple solution, had I tried that first!
This worked for me. Mine originally looked like the OP's and now they lock into place. I just squeezed them with a pair of pliers.