Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:25 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Head unit

Hey guys, I tried posting this audio section but I got no answers. I want to upgrade my head unit but I'm worried about water ruining it. What are you guys running in your pre 2014? I have 2012 Ultra Limited with the Boom Bagger setup. But I want Bluetooth to stream music since my FM reception is horrible. The HU I want is an Alpine but it's not marine grade. I know I could put a marine radio in there, I'm just not sure that's the route I want to go.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:44 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Search the forums for head units.. There are plenty of threads on your exact question. There are a few recent ones in the audio section as well

Old 05-24-2019, 09:46 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I tried searching. I guess I'm not very good at it. I'll try again. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,237 Posts

I had the Aquatic AV stuff in my last bike, It was pretty good sound, but the screen was impossible to read in bright sunlight. https://www.aquaticav.com/harley/

The following users liked this post:
whiskeyfire (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Marine units will give you some level of water-resistance and improved visual display in sunlight. I went with the Sony MEX-XB100BT which I believe is no longer manufactured but I'm sure they've replaced it with a similar but upgraded unit. Be aware however the display is still impossible to read in direct sunlight and without a cover I wouldn't expose it to heavy rain and or a direct hit from a hose nozzle. There are some manufacturers that make covers for a few select head units. Biketronics, I believe is one.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member

Received 682 Likes on 292 Posts

I have a sony similar to danzio's just no CD......but yeah you cant see the display in the sunlight.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Iwannagofast
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked the aquaticav I had on 2011 ultra. You get to keep the function of the controls, you can change playlist, charge phones, bluetooth worked well. The only thing I didn't like is you have more options and usability with apple products so if you have an android phone you can't use everything. I ended up just buying an ipod and just left it in the bike unless I wanted to add music. Also depending what model you get the newest version comes with Sirius xm.

Old 05-24-2019, 03:43 PM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have put Kenwood's in both my wife's Street Glide and mine. They aren't marine units but we haven't had any trouble here in Florida. I just make sure I take the faceplates off and am careful when I was them and we also take them off it's raining. So far so good.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:02 PM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am still running the stock headunit. I just picked up a Ipod interface and installed it and will use it for my majority of the tunes.

If I wanted Bluetooth thru the bike instead of my helmet (Helmet Law here) I would just get Iron Cross to modify it and add it.
http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

Old 05-24-2019, 04:17 PM
KCUltra
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You can add Bluetooth to stock Headunit.... Song titles are displayed on screen and you can change tracks with handlebar controls. Been using it for a year and never had an issue.

http://metraonline.com/part/BT-HD01

Quick Reply: Head unit