Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EITMS Years

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:17 AM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default EITMS Years

Hello, we have an 07 Street Glide and an 09 Street Glide and we live here in Florida. Naturally it gets hot down here and as such, so do our bikes. I started to remember something about a way to shut off the rear cylinder so I started searching. I was hoping to validate what I found. In terms of my 09, it sounds like I am good to go and the bike has that feature, I would just need to do the Throttle Roll to make sure that it is enabled. Does that sound accurate?

Now the 07, this is where I am confused. Does the 07 actually have it and it operates the same OR was this something that I would have to take to the dealer to have enabled for this year?

I will put this in the tech section too I suppose.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:35 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

I found this online, from Harley:

"Harley-Davidson is offering a free, dealer- installed software upgrade called the Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) for all 2007 and 2008 Touring models. On 2008 model Touring models produced after December 3, 2007, the EITMS is already installed and ready for you to activate using a simple throttle activated switch. When you are stopped and at idle, simply push the throttle forward (closed) to roll off position and hold. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise control indicator will flash either red (disabled) or green (enabled). Repeat the procedure to toggle between the two.

During hot idle, or when the motorcycle is off-throttle and running at hot temperatures, EITMS shuts off fuel to the engine’s rear cylinder, leaving it to idle on the front cylinder only. Without combustion, the rear cylinder and exhaust header will begin to cool, bringing relief to the rider (and passenger) soon after. Once the rear cylinder cools to a predetermined temperature, or as soon as the rider accelerates, both cylinders resume operation. And by maintaining constant rpm during rear cylinder “shutdown,”transitions between one and two cylinder operation are nearly seamless.

EITMS is purely for rider comfort. When it activates and“shuts off”the rear cylinder, it’s not because the motor is overheating. It’s designed to reduce the heat radiating from the rear cylinder to the rider.

Once an appointment is made, the EITMS software reflash can be performed for free by any H-D dealer, usually while you wait. If, for any reason, the rider does not like the EITMS, it can be returned to the previous mapping for free.

For information on installation of EITMS, see your H-D dealer."

If the '07 was flashed for it by the dealer, it will have it... and it will operate just like the '09. If the '07 doesn't have it now, it appears a dealer can easily add it...

Hope this helps....

Last edited by hattitude; 05-31-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:50 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

07 and the early 08 bikes it was a dealer flash. at the time, they would flash it for you free, and if you didn't like it, flash it back. one time. free. after that, if you changed your mind and wanted to re-activate it, it would cost you. the later 08 builds allowed you to be able to activate and deactivate it yourself without having the dealer flash it.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:11 PM
rysonn
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skratch
07 and the early 08 bikes it was a dealer flash. at the time, they would flash it for you free, and if you didn't like it, flash it back. one time. free. after that, if you changed your mind and wanted to re-activate it, it would cost you. the later 08 builds allowed you to be able to activate and deactivate it yourself without having the dealer flash it.
I am home now and tried on the 09 to check it. As far as I knew I was supposed to turn on the ignition and roll the throttle forward and I would see either a red or green blinking cruise light....I didn't get anything?

Old 05-31-2019, 06:17 PM
rysonn
Road Captain

Never mind. I got it. Can't check the 07 because it is at our local Indy shop getting some work done.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

the 07 doesn't have tbw so you won't be able to check it that way. you'll either have to let it sit there and idle, or if your indy has something akin to a digital tech, they could check it.