Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding Replacement bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:31 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Need help finding Replacement bearings

Fairly simple job turned into more than anticipated. I noticed a leak at my shifter shaft and what looked like a leak behind my drive belt gear on my 2008 Ultra Classic. Once i got everything apart I noticed the leak behind belt gear was coming from the large seal behind it. Removed seal and instantly knew bearings were toast. I dont have a local Harley Dealership near me and closet one would be a 4 hour round trip so im looking to order online. My question is can anybody give me a lead on a good replacement bearing and part number or even website that carries it. I have googled and i can only find older models but none for the 6 speed transmission that come in the 08 and up model. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-18-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 AM
SFinley70
Cruiser

I found bearings Part# 8967

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:38 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

You can order that from Surdyke or any number of other online Harley dealers. The bigger question is are you prepared to do the work yourself? Changing that bearing requires removing the entire internals from the transmission and requires multiple specialty tools. I know many people have done it but I wasn’t prepared to take it on. My local independent quoted $1200+

Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I would suggest getting a service manual, then take your time and have at it a little trick I learned prior to installation of new said bearing put it in the freezer over night and it will slide right in place. Once you remove the output shaft from the existing bearing there will be a race that you need to remove from the output shaft. It is normal to destroy the existing bearing when removing the shaft.

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:09 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cncmike
You can order that from Surdyke or any number of other online Harley dealers. The bigger question is are you prepared to do the work yourself? Changing that bearing requires removing the entire internals from the transmission and requires multiple specialty tools. I know many people have done it but I wasn’t prepared to take it on. My local independent quoted $1200+
I already have everything apart ( went out late last night and dug in)and now waiting on all my parts to arrive hopefully this weekend so i can put it back together. Yeah I knew it was an expensive fix to have someone else do it but i have been the only one who has ever worked on my bike and even though i wasn’t prepared to find bad bearings i knew I would have to do it myself cause it’s just how i am. It actually isn’t that bad of a job( looks intimidating but once you start on it its not bad) appreciate your reply here👍🏻

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-18-2019 at 03:25 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SFinley70:
Circa58 (06-20-2019), HKMark23 (06-18-2019), Imold (06-20-2019), Tired (06-19-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by big- mike
I would suggest getting a service manual, then take your time and have at it a little trick I learned prior to installation of new said bearing put it in the freezer over night and it will slide right in place. Once you remove the output shaft from the existing bearing there will be a race that you need to remove from the output shaft. It is normal to destroy the existing bearing when removing the shaft.
I have a service manual so it’s definitely a big help. I went out last night and took everything apart so now all im doing is waiting on new bearing so i can put all back together.I just went out a little while ago and removed the race off the 6 gear that you mentioned. I already have all the new seals etc.plus im changing IPB while i have it apart plus new crank seals , shifter shaft seal( bought cometics double lip seal) I figured since I’m in here and surely dont want to do this again anytime soon i might as well change em. The freezing bearing trick works well. I did that when i changed bearing in my IDS and it just fell into place. I was planning on doing this bearing the same way 👍🏻. Appreciate the reply here

Last edited by SFinley70; 06-18-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

Here’s a link to Ronnie’s HD parts finder.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm
this should help in your part number search.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:26 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Could have picked a better time for it to go bad ... Like maybe February in Ohio? :>) Looks like you've got it all under control ... Good luck.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:26 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sturgis67
Here’s a link to Ronnie’s HD parts finder.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm
this should help in your part number search.
Thanks👍🏻

Old 06-18-2019, 03:29 PM
SFinley70
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Could have picked a better time for it to go bad ... Like maybe February in Ohio? :>) Looks like you've got it all under control ... Good luck.
Yeah I thought the same thing. I just got back from a trip to Missouri to see my boy graduate Army Basic Training and was cleaning up my bike when I noticed the leak. Once i seen bearing I knew i this couldn’t wait until after riding season here in Ohio. It’s been raining a lot so guess no better time then now to fix 👍🏻

The following 2 users liked this post by SFinley70:
tjconnection (06-20-2019), Uncle Larry (06-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Need help finding Replacement bearings