Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on big twin power

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:19 PM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 523 Likes on 246 Posts

The Bagger is going to be 300#+ more than your Sporty. Their Eight Fiddy# with nothing in the Bags.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

WOW OK that is going to take some getting used to. LOL at 5'7" its going to be a workout, but my nephew's wife that is about 5'6" weighs about 130 rides a street glide, so I guess its possible.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:38 PM
motorbtr
Advanced
Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a 2008 1200L Sporty with some Screamin Eagle slip-ons. I miss that bike! It was fun, fast and easy to handle. Just bought a 2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited with the 103ci, V&H HO slip ons, V&H Dresser Dual head pipes, Scremin Eagle intake. Had the Harley Stage 1 tune and i just added the FP3 tuner. It runs great, i think its every bit as fast as the Sporty was. For a big bike, once its rolling it handles pretty damn good in the curves. Parking lots are a another story.... There is no comparison on ride quality and comfort with the Ultra. I've never ridden an 88 or 96 for comparison but i am really surprised how much I like the 103 with the stage 1 coming from my Sporty. My only regret is i couldn't keep them both, would be nice to change things up every now an then.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

[QUOTE=handirifle;18400968]Well I doubt compared to many of the jap bikes but my 1200 that is pretty stock sure pulls. It is plenty quick enough for me. I just don't want to end up with a touring model that has to go up big grades in 3rd or 4th gear when loaded. On curvy roads its understood, you (me) can only go so fast around curves so a gear change becomes inevitable.

My ‘09 Streetglide will go up a steep hill with a passenger and luggage at 75 in high gear with the cruise set. That’s 2800 rpm, no lugging.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,192 Likes on 5,618 Posts

I've owned 2 Sportys and 3 Baggers (2 Road Kings and an Electra Glide). There is no comparison, the bagger wins hands down. The baggers have plenty of low end in 1st through 4th gear. 5th and 6th are for winding her out on the highway. Just remember 6th is really more of an over drive and made for long high speeds. If you need to pass a truck or something just drop into 5th and go.
As for your $10k budget, you might have 2 options.
1) Go for a pre 09 bike, they go for around $5k to $6k in my neck of the woods. That would leave a lot of money to upgrade stuff like cams, heads, etc.
2) Find yourself an 09-13 that already has a few upgrades on it from the previous owner. I have seen 2009 and 2010 models in the $8k and up price range.

Either way you're going to love it and if you keep the Sporty, I bet it wont get many miles racked up on it after you buy the bagger.
By the way, have you considered a Road King? You get all of the touring comfort and capability without the heavy fairing.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:46 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

The big twin engine is way different to ride than a Sporty. I have both, plus a Firebolt. This is the time of year when you really should get out there, visit your local dealers and find a bike in the price range you are thinking of and ask for a test ride. Doesn't matter at this stage what it is, but its likely to be a TC96 or TC103, from what the chaps above are saying. Do not simply ride round the block, but take it out for an hour or so if they will let you - I refuel them when I do that! Come back with questions and we'll be here waiting eagerly to hear how you got on....

The following users liked this post:
monckywrench (12-21-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 02:12 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

All outstanding advice, and much appreciated, and yes I plan on attending the next demo nite at local HD. I like the road king, but for 2 up riding I want the fairing. Not worried about the heat because the wife cannot take heat for long so we would be riding in cool weather, for any length of time.

PLANNING on keeping the sporty mainly for when I go into town, as I figured it would be easier to deal with and use the touring for long trips. Long trips for us currently are short rides for you guys but we will build up as time goes on and the weather cools again.

Getting a touring bike is not in the near future, but my goal is about a yr or less.

I like the idea of the later models with the 6 spd for better mileage, plus I know they just keep getting better the newer they are.

Thanks guys, appreciate the honesty and encouragement. Now to build these 66 yr old legs up for that extra 200lbs.......

Old 07-15-2019, 02:51 PM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

My opinion.....

If your mechanically inclined and still want a reliable ride. Take a look at the 1998 EVO Electra Glides/Road Glides. By now...most have already been upgraded for more power. If it has a carburetor.....super simple. You’re simply not tied to a dealership with these rides.

Otherwise......2009 and up would be my bet. The newer frame and larger fuel tank plus the 6 speed are nice. Plenty of power.

Not saying the 1999-2008 are bad by any means. It’s still the old frame and smaller fuel tank. Some of those year models were a one year thing as well. But if you find one and love it....go for it.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:29 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Cncmike

Thanks for the info, when did the 96" come into play? A relative held out for the 103", is it a better engine or just more power? What year is your glide?
23seven
Good points thanks.
2009 Road King

96ers came out in 07.... Good Motors, Mine was a Stage 1 when I got it and adding cams really woke it up.

103’s obviously have more power because of increased ci’s but they are basically the same thing. I do like the ACR’s in the 103’s and I’ll probably go with those whenever I get into a bigger build with head work.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:42 PM
n of 1
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll be happy with the power, I'm sure. The motors are different enough and the big twins have lots of torque. It's condition not miles and in my opinion many of the best deals are found on the touring bikes. Definitely get out and ride one for longer than around the block if at all possible. And it should be possible at any dealership I'd think, but I highly doubt any private party will accommodate you. have fun shopping

Quick Reply: Question on big twin power