Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Head Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts
Default Question About Head Lights

Ok it is not what you are thinking, it as about durability. The rough chug holey, rub board roads that I have to ride on just to get to a decent hi way keeps knocking out my low beam, and then my high beam a month or two later.
Ok here is the question, has anyone had to replace a LED bulb yet, and is any of your roads rough enough to knock one out? I am getting fed plumb the heck up with replacing head light bulbs.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:51 PM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 222 Likes on 162 Posts

A quality led will hold up better. Much better.

Problem with incandescent bulbs is the filament can really only be supported in so many places and is rather fragile.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Camarosx2
Cruiser
Received 187 Likes on 87 Posts

I find it hard to believe you are losing bulbs from bumps and potholes. Either the connector is bad, the bulb is getting contaminated (remember don’t touch the glass on halogen bulbs) or you have a voltage regulator issue (over charging) could even be a poor quality control issue with the bulbs (what brand). I’m an auto mechanic, if you could post a few pics of the failed bulbs, I may be able to pinpoint why they keep failing. LED is a huge upgrade but I’d hate to see you lose an led bulb because there’s another issue.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarosx2
I find it hard to believe you are losing bulbs from bumps and potholes. Either the connector is bad, the bulb is getting contaminated (remember don’t touch the glass on halogen bulbs) or you have a voltage regulator issue (over charging) could even be a poor quality control issue with the bulbs (what brand). I’m an auto mechanic, if you could post a few pics of the failed bulbs, I may be able to pinpoint why they keep failing. LED is a huge upgrade but I’d hate to see you lose an led bulb because there’s another issue.
It will probably be this weekend before I can get pics, I am having to ride to work every day now and I still have high beam, so I am a little afraid to mess with it, till I have the time to ride about 100 miles to the dealership, to get "yet another" heavy duty Harley Davidson bulb.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:23 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

You can get an H4 halogen bulb from WalMart for around $10. At that price, you could even carry a spare. With the luck you are having, you might want to put the passing lights back on, then you won't be completely in the dark when the second filament fails.

Last edited by btsom; 07-16-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,192 Likes on 2,457 Posts

yeah, quit going to the dealer for bulbs. walmart, auto zone, oreilly, etc have a comparable bulb for much cheaper.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,658 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, quit going to the dealer for bulbs. walmart, auto zone, oreilly, etc have a comparable bulb for much cheaper.
Or get a quality headlight with a lifetime warranty??? Both current bikes have that. (I think)...

Old 07-17-2019, 07:55 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

How much earlier would you need to leave for work to be able to drive a little more slowly on the rough roads?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:55 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Incandescent bulbs have a filament which is basically a thin springlike wire. These will bounce and move. if the bulb doesn't fit tight in the socket the whole bulb moves more and in turn the wire moves more. So yeah, jiggle it enough and it can break.

The answer is swap to LED. I did and have zero regrets.

This is your answer.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/head...bulbs-c193.htm

Old 07-17-2019, 11:53 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

PIAA makes a bulb that is made to withstand the increased vibration of a motorcycle or off road vehicle. The Incandescent/Halogen market is mostly Chinese junk these days. The inexpensive ones don't last.

Quick Reply: Question About Head Lights