Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samson slip on drag tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:33 AM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Samson slip on drag tips

Hello all... I am brand new to the forum (first post). Just traded in my 06 Sporty for an 07 RK Classic on Saturday. Oh, and I am 25 to all those that say baggers are for old guys[:'(]! Anyway, I ordered the Samson slip on drag tips (no baffles) which should be here soon. Can I run these without doing anything else for a while until I can afford the Race Tuner and Stage 1? I realize I will lose some back pressure and performance, but how much? Anyone else tried these slip ons or anything similar?
Thanks

Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Cannon00000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Samson slip on drag tips

Havent tried that setup but from everything I have read you will be fine. You may have some popping on decel but nothing bad.

I am actually looking at doing the same with Python slip ons on my 07 RKC.

Welcome to the forums and CONGRATS on the new bike!!!!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Cannon00000
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, I am 29. IMO that baggers is for old guys theory is for people who cant man up and buy a real bike

Old 07-14-2007, 03:16 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Samson drag fishtails on my bike. Very loud, and I love it. I get some decel popping, but I actually like it. Anything that gets me more noticed is a good thing. Everyone will tell you that they will decrease your power, but I didn't notice that at all. You will only need to do the upgrades once you add a AC to the bike.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ianchris1
Hello all... I am brand new to the forum (first post). Just traded in my 06 Sporty for an 07 RK Classic on Saturday. Oh, and I am 25 to all those that say baggers are for old guys[:'(]! Anyway, I ordered the Samson slip on drag tips (no baffles) which should be here soon. Can I run these without doing anything else for a while until I can afford the Race Tuner and Stage 1? I realize I will lose some back pressure and performance, but how much? Anyone else tried these slip ons or anything similar?
Thanks
Welcome to the forums. This is definitely the place to be to get the most out of your road king. Check out the pictures thread sticked at the top of the forum to get ideas to start customizing your bike.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:02 PM
ianchris1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: PapaTravis

I have the Samson drag fishtails on my bike. Very loud, and I love it. I get some decel popping, but I actually like it. Anything that gets me more noticed is a good thing. Everyone will tell you that they will decrease your power, but I didn't notice that at all. You will only need to do the upgrades once you add a AC to the bike.
Thanks everyone for the replies. How loud is loud? I was told by a local chopper dealer that these pipes were the loudest things he has ever heard. He said they were obnoxiously loud. Any comparisons? I have heard some V&H shortshots on my buddy's Fat Boy, and I had Hookers on my Sporty. I have only heard the Reinhart true duals on a RK so far... and obviously my stock pipes. Oh, and when you say popping, do you mean the engine will jerk when decel or just noise?
Thanks again!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:03 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Just noise on the decel popping. And the local chopper dealer is right. I haven't heard a bike louder than mine. I wouldn't call it obnoxious, but, it is my bike.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
CatfishAlan
6th Gear

I guess I'm still young (30), and I love my bagger. My Samson 30" slip on drags have some decel pop, which I don't really mind, and no real noticable performance changes. I do plan on re-mapping, however, once I put on a hi flow air cleaner.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:58 AM
MasterGunz
Tourer

I had the Samson drag tips on my 03 Road King. I added a baffle insert to make it complainant aboard Marine Corps installations but they were still "LOUD." Didn't add an SERT and other type of tuner and experience Zero issues. Had HD Mo-Co install SE A/C kit and re-jetted using stock sensor equipment.