Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO vs TWIN CAM 88...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Nabnormal
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVO vs TWIN CAM 88...

How underpowered is the EVO compared to the Twin Cam 88? The one Im looking at has a complete stage 2 kit with slip-ons, would this even it out? My knowledge on Harley motors is very slim since Ive only had Hondas. Any info is appreciated...

Old 11-02-2005, 03:07 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EVO vs TWIN CAM 88...

A few ponies. If I had to estimate I would say about 10 horsepower or so. And it depends on how the stage 2 was done. Was it dynoed after the work? If so, then ask the owner how much it gained. Another thing to consider is that I've heard the EVO did not react well to boring. You really needed to know what you were doing. The twin cam is an over engineering motor that can be bored out probably to 124 cu. in. (optimistic estimate but boring out to over 100 ci isn't a problem). The EVO is less tolerant. Yes stage 1 does help with about 10 hp/tq, but the majority of people who own harley's probably have stage 1 done because that's just easy horsepower.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:22 PM
mutha
Road Captain

like 1200c it depends on what is done.............evo vibrates more, and a stroked evo will definately get you the hp if done correctly 92 ci evo that some of my buddies have really moves....getting about 95 plus horsepower and running mid to high 12's in the 1/4 mile

Old 11-02-2005, 10:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 467 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the difference in power. It's not enough that you'll really notice it. I like the Evo motors over the Twinkie because of reliability. While some things on the Twinkie are very well engineered, the chain driven cams and tensioners are in a constant self-destruct mode. They will wear out and they will allow plastic to travel through your engine as they are wearing. Sorry, I just don't think that's a good idea.

Here's some stock HP figures, rear wheel dyno:

Evo: 58, 60, 62

Twinkie: 53, 59, 60, 62

As you can see, there is very little "real world" difference.

Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

The reason I bought a '99 Harley was because that was the last year of the EVO and after riding several Twin Cams in the heat (100+ degrees and they did not like it) I realized that I could easily make up those few ponies. A stage II EVO should easily keep up with the twinkies and if you want a few more cubes the S&S Sidewinder Big Bore kit (3-5/8") with piston and cylinders will take it to 88 cu in...

Old 11-03-2005, 02:00 AM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nabnormal,
Ride the bike and that's the only way you'll know if you like it or not and if the power is adequate or not. I'm with skip on EVO motors; they were arguably the most reliable Harley has ever made. They also run significantly cooler than the twin cam's.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Nabnormal
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: 1200c

Nabnormal,
Ride the bike and that's the only way you'll know if you like it or not and if the power is adequate or not. I'm with skip on EVO motors; they were arguably the most reliable Harley has ever made. They also run significantly cooler than the twin cam's.
Yes I would like to ride a bike with a twin cam and a evo but Im a 20 yrs old and do u think if I just walked in a Harley dealer they would let me jump right on one. No I highly doubt it. The used one "evo" im looking at I will be able to ride since its a friend of the family. Ive tried the whole dealer thing and just get pissed off at the way I get treated due to my age. I think im pretty mature for my age when compared to most. Yes I have been to more then one Harley dealer also.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:50 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

here here to skip!! im with him

Old 11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Skip, I agree. The HP difference is negilible, and the EVO is a good engine.

It has also been my experience, having owned each, that the EVO runs cooler than the TC. My right leg sometimes gets real warm on the new bike.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-03-2005, 02:45 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: pococj

I wouldn't worry about the difference in power. It's not enough that you'll really notice it. I like the Evo motors over the Twinkie because of reliability. While some things on the Twinkie are very well engineered, the chain driven cams and tensioners are in a constant self-destruct mode. They will wear out and they will allow plastic to travel through your engine as they are wearing. Sorry, I just don't think that's a good idea.
I'm with Skip. I have a '97 Softail that I put a mild cam in and such. It runs great, strong, and is dependable. I have an '06 Road Glide on order, and I wish it were coming with an EVO motor. The chain driven cams make me nervous...

Quick Reply: EVO vs TWIN CAM 88...