Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
bandoman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

I just purchased a 2007 ultra classic, had a problem with the front end to which the dealer had to replace the frame. Now I have a vibration at speeds over 60mph, noticed it more in 6th gear but after after a while I now feel it in 5th. All the dealer tells me is that it is in normal limits and that I need to finish with the break in period. The vibration is more noticable on the foot pegs (crash bar) than on the foot boards. Do not really feel it in the handle bars. Did not have this in my 2005 and now really reget selling it. Any ideas?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:13 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vibration

This may be a mute point but, check your tire pressure. Also, check out this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/m_2017267/m...tm.htm#2017267

Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

What in the world caused the dealer to replace a frame in an '07? Very unusual.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Vibration at rpm /not moving = Engine alignment

Vibration at speed moving = rear wheel alignment / drive pulley alignment

Do you hear your belt making any noise?

If they had to replaec the frame, I would question if they got the engine aligned correctly. There is a certain order this MUST be done. But, since you say this is a speed sensitive issue, I would question if they got the rear tire aligned properly! You might think this sounds crazy,, but I had an issue when I replaced my engine in my FXDWG this spring I had a vibration. I did all my own work and gave up at one time and had the "Steeler" work on it and they charged me $450 and didn't make any progress. Well, talked with an expertand they told me on HOW TO ALIGNand this took care of 98% of the vibration the other 2% I would mark this up to being a Harley!!! I will say, this is easy to mess up, but VERY noticable when driving.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 PM
bandoman
Stage III

The steering column bearing race was not machined correctly was the reason they replaced the frame. The only noise that I notice is a kind of grinding in 5th gear which I was told would go away after the break in period and the oil is changed. I will ask the dealer to check the tire alignment. The vibration feels to me to come from the engine, I say that because under load, like when climbing a hill or acceleration, the vibration is more noticable. I have been in 4th gear at 60 and do not feel it but then a shift to 5th gear brings is out and then to6th it is even more noticeable. Of course this is also as the speed is increasing. This is not a teeth rattling vibration but more of a nusiance,since I just came out of a 2005 that was as smooth as silk at all speeds and since this vibration was not there before the new frame, it has to bea problem with theinstall of the latter. Unfortunately, I have not been successful in getting the dealer to acknowledge the problem, yet!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM
Geezer Glide Bob
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What tranny oil are you using? Might sound weird, but for giggles try "Red Line" heavy shock proof oil. It goes for about $10 a quart but this stuff is great. I still think there is an alignment issue. Most overlook this and only a few know how to properly align an engine.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

Sounds like your front tire is out of balance.[8D]
You stated its speed related. Also what RPM`s are you running, what speed and what gear when you feel it.
Your old bike was a 5 speed and the new one is a 6 speed. There will be a big RPM change related to speed and gear selection. Make sure your above 2500 RPM in whatever gear your running. If tire balance and RPM`s don`t help...Install an IDS...

Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

2500-2600 is when I shift to the next gear on my '07...

Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 AM
bandoman
Stage III

The dealer installed the new IDS on the bike and the vibration is gone, never would have believed it and was very skepical when he told me that was what he was going to do. Amazing!! As for the noises, it did quite down 5th gear but not completely. I now have some other noises in 6 gearbut not sure if that is a problem yet or not.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: bandoman

The steering column bearing race was not machined correctly was the reason they replaced the frame. The only noise that I notice is a kind of grinding in 5th gear which I was told would go away after the break in period and the oil is changed. I will ask the dealer to check the tire alignment. The vibration feels to me to come from the engine, I say that because under load, like when climbing a hill or acceleration, the vibration is more noticable. I have been in 4th gear at 60 and do not feel it but then a shift to 5th gear brings is out and then to6th it is even more noticeable. Of course this is also as the speed is increasing. This is not a teeth rattling vibration but more of a nusiance,since I just came out of a 2005 that was as smooth as silk at all speeds and since this vibration was not there before the new frame, it has to bea problem with theinstall of the latter. Unfortunately, I have not been successful in getting the dealer to acknowledge the problem, yet!
How pissed are you? You bought a brand new bike and they had to replace the frame because of manufacturing problem? That bike never shoul have left the factory. That takes the cake. So why not just have the frames made in China? Everything else is these days.

Man the MoCo quality really is going in the toilet! This is the kind of crap that I cannot stand. Sorry to hear about your bike. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Quick Reply: Vibration